"One-time" password?

YoshiRaphElan

Honestly, this is inconvenient. I tend to use the forums on my laptop and play on my desktop. Every time I log into one or the other, the other one resets and I have to enter the supposedly one-time password again. So, can we go back to the security questions that I memorized? Those were safer, anyway, because they're personal questions only I'd know, whereas e-mails can be hacked. Seriously, I liked security questions much more. It's time-saving, and safer. Can we please fix this?

The one time pwd is becoming a real pain. It first started to appear whenever I logged into the forums from a different computer, but now it appears between sessions on the same computer. What's the point of having a regular pwd then? This has to be looked at and reconsidered by BW.

The one time pwd is becoming a real pain. It first started to appear whenever I logged into the forums from a different computer, but now it appears between sessions on the same computer. What's the point of having a regular pwd then? This has to be looked at and reconsidered by BW.

The point is to lower the chance of your account getting hacked. Trouble is, ANY kind of password is weak no matter what it's type. All you need to do is get keylogged and the hackers have your email login details in addition to your TOR login details.That's why a two-factor security system, like the security key, works best.

they should give the option to turn it off or something. Just have a little pop up explaining the security reasoning behind it and saying your SOL if your account gets , of story.

Security key is out of stock and not everyone has a smart phone believe it or not so....

Security key is out of stock and not everyone has a smart phone believe it or not so....

All you need is an Android phone. You can buy a cheap one for next to nothing that can run the security key app.

You can also get the key on eBay for about $14. Normally I wouldn't advise eBay, but it's there as an option.

Honestly, this is inconvenient. I tend to use the forums on my laptop and play on my desktop. Every time I log into one or the other, the other one resets and I have to enter the supposedly one-time password again. So, can we go back to the security questions that I memorized? Those were safer, anyway, because they're personal questions only I'd know, whereas e-mails can be hacked. Seriously, I liked security questions much more. It's time-saving, and safer. Can we please fix this?

got same terrible experiences, got iphone, ipad, notebook, 2x pc and thats real pain ...

Im leaving this game as soon as my subscription ends... i dont see why i login everytime in my email and ingame and on the website only to login into game...

im sick and tired of bioware incompetence.... i dont care about the security since my accounts never got hacked on any game....

and no i dont activate the security key again since i lost my celphone and i was not able to login until i called the phoen support... its simply to much trouble to just play a game...also its stupid to enter so many different information just to login... no fun to me... sadly ive wasted so much money for this game only to see how it is becoming worse with every new feature they add...

i was telling peopel to not get mad on bioware in the past.. maybe i was wrong..

cheers

Im leaving this game as soon as my subscription ends... i dont see why i login everytime in my email and ingame and on the website only to login into game...

im sick and tired of bioware incompetence.... i dont care about the security since my accounts never got hacked on any game....

and no i dont activate the security key again since i lost my celphone and i was not able to login until i called the phoen support... its simply to much trouble to just play a game...also its stupid to enter so many different information just to login... no fun to me... sadly ive wasted so much money for this game only to see how it is becoming worse with every new feature they add...

i was telling peopel to not get mad on bioware in the past.. maybe i was wrong..

cheers

Don't let the door hit ya

With all due respect, Bomyne, are you seriously suggesting that people buy an Android cell phone, activate it, pay the monthly data fees, lock into a standard two-year contract, just to run an app to correct BioWare's bad idea? For a game??? Unless it's a game that gives me backrubs and laughs at my jokes, there's no freaking way!

There is always the security key fob, but the rumour is that they come with a high risk of being locked out of one's own account. My fear there is that I would be unable to cancel my subscription. That's basically where I am now.

With all due respect, Bomyne, are you seriously suggesting that people buy an Android cell phone, activate it, pay the monthly data fees, lock into a standard two-year contract, just to run an app to correct BioWare's bad idea? For a game??? Unless it's a game that gives me backrubs and laughs at my jokes, there's no freaking way!

There is always the security key fob, but the rumour is that they come with a high risk of being locked out of one's own account. My fear there is that I would be unable to cancel my subscription. That's basically where I am now.

Download an android emulator instead. Then you can use the security key app on a computer.

All you need is an Android phone. You can buy a cheap one for next to nothing that can run the security key app.

You can also get the key on eBay for about $14. Normally I wouldn't advise eBay, but it's there as an option.

Oh yeah. And if the app or something bugged you are locked out of the game. There are plenty of horror stories about security key bugs and how unconvenient to talk with customer service.

I have an Android phone but I'll not install the security key app.

The above posts crack me up so much. Apparently it's totally reasonable to some people that in order to log in to an online game you're paying to play, you need to also log in to your e-mail account every time to find an "one time pass" that changes all the time and THEN log in. And on top of, the even more reasonable answer is "buy an android phone for it" !!! Some people are such fanboys that would even buy a new fridge just to log in, if the game asked them to :')

I'm not gonna threaten that i'll leave or whatever, i'm just mentioning that there are always other games to play that by some mysterious way they manage not to have such inconvenient ways to log in and guess what.. it still works.

Especially when one of the most awaited games is coming, later this year and competition will be more than tough, i doubt it's a good idea to invent such ways to mess around with your subscribers and ruin an already working well system.

oh yeah. And if the app or something bugged you are locked out of the game. There are plenty of horror stories about security key bugs and how unconvenient to talk with customer service.

I have an android phone but i'll not install the security key app.

10/10

For those who are annoyed with the one-time-PW for non-security-key users: The BlueStacks Android Emulator appears to be working with the security key :).

Having number-generating software on the computer on wich you are trying to protect your account kind of negates the use of the number, but it seems like a sensible workaround to me :).

(Note: I just installed it on BlueStacks and did not register the software-key with my account, but it launches just fine!)

We don't want to have to use the security key due to changes that Bioware made. Simple as that.

This. Come on, guys, logging in used to be simple and took 10-15 seconds for me to type in my password + security question. Now I have to wait at least 30 seconds-a minute for my e-mail to load, and then refresh the page until I actually receive the password, and then type it in. This isn't a huge inconvenience, just a minor annoyance, but there used to be no fuss involved, and now there is. That's it. No big deal, but it didn't need to happen.

Download an android emulator instead. Then you can use the security key app on a computer.

Can anyone confirm this will work as I thought secure key apps needed to access a radio frequency to correctly generate a valid key?

The problem I've got with secure key's is how much of a pain it causes if you lose or replace your phone, surely they could use a one time password to deactivate a key!

The problem I've got with secure key's is how much of a pain it causes if you lose or replace your phone, surely they could use a one time password to deactivate a key!

I think that is actually the part of the point of the change: to secure changes like that, they moved to mail verification.

No idea how they reached the conclusion to completely drop the security questions instead of linking security questions with login and send one time codes for more critical things; after all, I would consider BOTH ways only "I wish it was 2 way" (and the security question login PLUS one time code would probably secure the whole process more..?) - - - but then again, I know just enough about security to know a lot of experts know this stuff better than me ^^.

Edited by LaynaTan

Oh yeah. And if the app or something bugged you are locked out of the game. There are plenty of horror stories about security key bugs and how unconvenient to talk with customer service.

I have an Android phone but I'll not install the security key app.

Did you know... with the changes they just made.... you can now add/remove security keys/apps yourself. ;)

One of the benefits of the changes they made is more self-service, less dependency on live customer support.

Can anyone confirm this will work as I thought secure key apps needed to access a radio frequency to correctly generate a valid key?

Nothing so complicated as that. Whether it's the hardware of the physical key or the few lines of code in an app, all the key is doing is running a random number generation algorithm with a secret value (specific to the serial number associated with the device and only known by the manufacturer) and the current time as seed values.

This is very annoying. One of our guildmates wanted to contact customer support with request to disable this "feature" (he has dynamic IP), but I decided to post my opinion here while we're waiting for him to tell us about results.

It's just terrible... =(

You know I've been taking some computer security classes and thought they were kind of a waste because no one would be stupid enough to not understand what I thought was really basic information regarding computer security.

Thank you everyone here, for validating my education and proving that no matter how advanced and easy to use technology gets, there will always be people too stubborn to actually make use of it.

Extra props to the OP as well. Security questions being safer than one time use passwords? HAH! That one made me literally laugh out loud (llol?)

Yes, I'm annoyed by this too. I don't have a smartphone, and I wont pay more money for a security key just so I can log into the game without this inconvenience.

I've been subscribed since early access. Now each time I want to log in, I get treated like a potential Internet criminal, way to condemn me in advance.

Please fix this.