Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

One time password madness

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

buxstop
04.06.2013 , 07:23 PM | #21
The one time password is a terrible idea. The most obvious reason is....I ALREADY ENTERED A PASSWORD!

Second, you now have to log into your email to log into swtor...stupid.

Third, I have multiple sub accounts, and play on three different computers depending on where I am at, I don't have access to my email at each location.

Fourth, I ALREADY ENTERED A PASSWORD.

Fifth, I don't want a pass key, I spent an hour on the phone (waiting to be the next caller) when my pass key froze up last month.

Sixth, I ALREADY ENTERED A PASSWORD,

sufferthyfate
04.06.2013 , 07:58 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by HunLeonard View Post
Hello

It only took me 2 hours to log in finally thanks to this superior security feature one time password system.
I don't know what you people are thinking improving security when it makes the login process completely reliable on a third party service. I'm a sub and pay for the game but not for my email service. My mail is full of one time spam passwords as it takes a half an hour to get this password and when it arrives it is incorrect and whatnot.

I dont care about high security for a stupid game nor want to use my phone and key-chain just to log in, if someone bothers to hack it good for them but i do pay for being able to play which i can't because you make it reliable on third parties. I dont have a fixed IP so i have to go through this hell every time i log out or my net drops.

Oh and guess what, not many complains about it because they cant as the bloody forum is based on the same retarded login system. So make this crap optional asap so people can actually play instead of wasting hours on a frustrating login!

Thanks.
Amen Brother! This crap has made me stop playing all together and I've been playing since day one.

Auribiel
04.06.2013 , 08:17 PM | #23
@Hun:

I found a solution for a part of your problem: If you ask for more than one password, the second password will negotiate the first one, so the first one (which you receive at first after some time) won't work anymore. You have to wait a bit, until the last password arrives, if you've asked for more than one, and it will work!

Still no good option. The hole thing with this one-time-password is crap!

Ardor
04.06.2013 , 08:25 PM | #24
Everytime I log in, I have to wait 5-10 minutes for my password to be emailed to me. I want to play a game. I pay to play a game, and I can't express how annoying this is. I never signed up for a security key for this very reason. I'm not going to get used to this. And I'm likely to not play anymore. Just because of this stupid little "one time password ********"

hiosgr
04.06.2013 , 11:59 PM | #25
Yes I agree it's a stupid idea and irritating way to subscribers. I pay to play with game not with ****. I'm thinking seriously to unsubscribe because all of this.

RazzerKFG
04.07.2013 , 12:01 AM | #26
Using the same PC to play this game, my home PC and the only one here, yet I constaly have to check my mail for a password, for the game and the forum.

As much as I'm having fun with this game - this is a downside and I don't feel that my money should be spent here if this continues.

spectreclees
04.07.2013 , 03:50 AM | #27
It's completely optional.

To be honest, I haven't got it come up when I logged in yet. I'm guessing it doesn't work right?

I won't use it anyway. It's not hard for me to type my password and security key code in every time.

KittehSnow
04.07.2013 , 03:56 AM | #28
I think the fact that it's taken me about 40 minutes to get on here to post this speaks for itself, but here goes.

This is a ridiculous decision. Not once did I ever have a security issue with my account using the security questions. If you're careful online, you never should have to worry. Not only that, Bioware have always pushed the security key. I think every single player will know that it's there, or has at least been informed about it once when they signed up.

Just put a disclaimer that if you don't have one it's your fault. I don't want a security key, because it's a hassle and I play on the same account as my girlfriend, so if one of us wanted to play without the other we couldn't. Not to mention under this seemingly IP based system whenever I log in at a different location, and there are 3 my account is regularly used at, I'm going to need one of these new things every time!

It's stupid and over the top for the amount of extra security it provides, especially when you weigh that against the irritation people feel over it, myself included.

As well as that, going back to the problem of my girlfriend and I both having characters on the same account, it's tied to one e-mail address, so just like the security key one of us can't get in without the other, unlike security questions where we both knew the answers because we came up with them together.

However, even above all that, the system would be slightly less irritating if the ******* e-mails didn't take about 20 minutes to arrive with the password each time! And considering I am also having other problems as detailed here this is making it next to impossible for me to not be angry over the combined issues, which are taking the piss, and made 10x worse by the fact that neither of them were necessary, added nothing to the game and serve no purpose but to break previously working systems that have been fine since launch, and irritate customers to the point where some people are even cancelling their subs because (justifiably so) they refuse to pay for a game they cannot play when and how they want, on their own terms, if they can even get on at all.

In short, fix this idiocy and just do a reversion on the log-in system to fix all these bugs immediately. You've had long enough now to come up with a patch and you haven't.

justadude
04.07.2013 , 05:13 AM | #29
I am happy to see so many people share my opinion.

EA, while I pay, play and 'somewhat' enjoy SWToR (the gear grind seriously diminishes the quality of the game), I have to say your security measures are in no way congruent to the quality or value of your WoW Clone.

Please understand that for those that do not want it, the one time password is an harassment. I now have a bunch of one time password spam next to my important emails.

I also concede that there may be people who will want a service like the one time passwords, you EA, need to have the buisness savvy to make it optional.

Peter Moore recently wrote a blog defending EA against its consumer voted march towards a repeat as Worst company in America. He stated EA remains proud and unbowed. Seriously? you are proud, not embarrassed that people would vote you worst company in America two years in a row? You attack the judgement of the consumers that PAY YOUR WAGES? Put food on your tables? I feel it would be prudent to reflect upon what they are communicating. Maybe even learn to read between the lines and not only have the bottom line in mind. who knows, it might even earn you money...

I realize there are worst companies than EA. This, however, does not make EAs choices beyond reproach. There is a reason EA is marching through that bracket towards back to back titles. The reason is because you are proud and unbowed.

unworthy-sith
04.07.2013 , 06:56 AM | #30
HATE THIS ONE TIME PASSWORD CRAP
I PLAY ON TWO DIFFERENT COMPUTERS AND HAVE TO CHECK MY EMAIL EACH TIME I SWITCH BETWEEN EACH COMPUTERS. AND I HAVE TO DO THIS FOR 2 ACCOUNT. ANNOYING VERY MUCH SO. PLUS ALSO HAVING TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN JUST TO LOG INTO THE WEBSITE ACCOUNT ALSO