Too much experience

Swizzord

Hello everyone.

I created a powertech and started to doing all quest and all that I can do, and didn't move on until even the last codex entry was found -except bugged ones, of course-. That's what I like: do everything is possible and squeeze the juice of the game.

So, after doing all on the boring Balmorra -bonus missions set included- I arrived on Nar Shaddaa with more levels than the planet indicates -20-24, and I was around 26-. Then, I began to feel that I was doing something wrong. Besides than all the quest was ridiculously easy, I was getting stuff many levels behind my character's level. And that's another thing that I like, to keep my gear and my companions up to date.

Then, I "balanced" the player doing only the class history until reach an appropiate class mission acording my level. I literally bypass Tatooine, and then, on Alderaan, the quests levels began to match. And because I wasn't enjoying, because I had to bypass Tatooine, a planet that I like, I deleted the character and start again.

So I start with an imperial agent, a sniper, and I try to get as close as possible to the recomended level for the class mission. The result: I have to skip a lot of side quest, losing a lot of the game content -yes, I've done those with the previous character, but what happens when she arrives on Tatooine?-,besides, I still having a problem with the gear... before was underleveled, now is non-existent; I'm getting only a very few pieces of equipment, and forget my companion's gear...

Someone will say: "Gain less experience". Well, that's what I do:

•  
  • First of all, I'm a subscriber
  • Rested experience at minimum; I don't leave my character on a cantina
  • Avoid all unnecessary enemies, only kill what I have to
  • Don't play PVP
  • Don't play space missions
  • Flashpoints, only once each one

I think that's all. By the way, the double XP weekend doesn't help...

So, anyone have a tip, recommendation...? I'll be appreciative ;).

Thank you.

That's what happens when you aim for all codex entries and on double xp weekends.

And you LIKE Tatooine? ew

Then again, I've done every single planet more than 10 times so I've grown tired of them all.

if you want to get most out of game and enjoy it then just do that and dont worry about your levels do everything you want if you kill them quicker then o well dont let it bother you?

Yer but he/she is saying that all the gear drops are outleveled etc. I understand that can be annoying, but it's the price you pay for trying to fill codex :p

Edited by Jayshames

That's why the bonuses are bonuses, I suppose. If you had to do them to keep your level appropriate, they wouldn't be bonuses, they'd be necessary.

Have you considered leaving bonus quests until after you've hit 50? That might needle at you, but it'll give you a reason to revisit planets after you're done.

Edited by smartalectwo

Nothing is wrong

"completionists" generally finish a planet early. Doing class/planet quests only

You are supposed to do your class quest with a dabble of everything mixed in. Not take every planet/side quest and finish them all

I understand this is how you want to play the game, but it isn't how the leveling was designed to work

Edited by Mookind

I (as a new player) also don't like this double xp stuff. Now, you can say why I should like it, how stupid I am for not liking it but it does not matter. It is frustrating to keep finding junk from quests. I can see why Bioware is pushing for it though.

Personally, I really like the double xp weekends. I was able to level an Agent from 1 to 10 in like 3 hours, which is awesome, since those initial levels are the most tedious for me.

However, I understand how they can be annoying for some people, especially completionists. That's actually partly why I stayed F2P until my first character hit 50 - it let me experience almost all the content w/out getting terribly overleveled.

What I would like to see is an option to turn xp off. Not just the double xp, but all experience points. That way, if you wanted to do all the content on a planet, you could just turn off experience points once you hit the maximum level for the planet. That would avoid the problem of playing content that is trivially easy because it's 5+ levels below your character. Once you finish the planet, just turn xp back on, and continue with the next planet.

if you want to complete everything on each planet before moveing then do so you will likely be lvl cap before 12th planet but why care if your haveing fun playing the game how YOU want to play it the the xp bonuses are for those that want to be lvl cap and doing "eldar game content" as tor calls it (raiding, daily grind + top lvl pvp to the rest of us)

find a playing partner or freind that wants to lvl the same way and at least you will have company on the plaents your to high lvl for to make it a challenge

well for those of us with a lot of characters, we don't want to go through every single thing. The double XP weekends allowed me to level 2 characters (missed 1 weekend) to 50, that I never would have made or leveled without them. They are awesome for people who have been playing for awhile and have many toons and seen it all multiple times.

If it's getting too easy, just don't pick up new skills and don't gear up. If you are level 30 in level 20 gear, doing level 20 quests will be as difficult as they designed.

Also, there is nothing wrong with being a higher level on a lower level planet. You are just playing the game more than they designed :D

as for the gear issue the OP is stating i don't get it, unless your not counting the gear you can get from the planet side commendations. If as your saying your completing 100% of the planet codex, and doing all the side missions at the same time you should be rolling in commendations.

sell or Re (reverse engineer) what drops and use the comms to buy gear.

blue lvl gear is good for about 3 more lvls than green, and purple again is about 2 lvls above blue.

lvl 31 green gear is good until about lvl 33 (2 lvs)

lvl 31 blue gear is good until about lvl 35

lvl 31 purple gear will be the equivalent of lvl 37 or 38 gear

birthright gear (legendary gear) which is equibable between lvl 30 and 33 depending on the slot should take you to the end of chapter 2 lvl 40 more or less.

I was much like you on my main toons for the imp and reb side i pretty much did all the missions and by the time i was starting voss I was at 50.

Conversely on my alts i'm usually running around illum doing dailes to try to get to lvl 50 after finishing corellia at either just bellow or just after reaching lvl 47

Sony has a feature with their EQ2 game (maybe others, not sure) where a player can toggle off/on their combat and/or quest experience gain. This allows a player to control how fast they level so that they can do the extra content without having to worry about out leveling it too fast. I would love to see Bioware implement that kind of feature for SW:TOR.

The only time you have to worry about over-leveling a planet is when the missions turn grey to you, then they only give 15 xp (found that out the hard way on Coruscant). Personally, if you want to do all the class and planet missions, do them all, there's no right or wrong way to level. The gear may not be your level, but it'll be high enough for the planet you're questing on if you're planning on running every quest on every planet.

For people like me, who have maxed out characters, leveling alts on double xp weekends is a great way to pick up some bonus skills, like force sweep for when I use my heroic moment.

OP, if you're looking for a solution to outleveling content while not missing any of the content in the side quests, (not that it's needed - it's perfectly OK to continue the way you are), you might want to consider using 2 or 3 characters to do several of the side quests each, splitting up the experience amount gained and the story you learn about in each case among the various characters.

So, anyone have a tip, recommendation...?

My recommendation: just keep doing what you're doing.

Yeah, you're going to get overleveled. Yeah, you're going to start doing quests where the rewards are under your level.

But the game has an equalizer already built in: once you're more than five levels over what you're doing, you'll get next to no XP for it (maybe 5 XP for a quest). So you want to enjoy all the content? That's the "reward" you'll get--the content.

Once you're done and move on to the next area/planet, you'll eventually "catch up" to the level (thanks to getting next to no XP for a while), start gaining XP again, hit +5 levels, wash/rinse/repeat.

Your gear may be constantly underleveled for what level you are, but it'll be good enough for the content you're going up against and if you are that worried about it, you can spend the whackloads of Comms you're accruing to upgrade your gear (plus, once 2.0 drops and all planet comms are converted into a single currency, it'll be easier to take the Comms earned on Nar Shadaa and use them to buy gear equivalent to Alderaan).

Also: enjoy being so overleveled, especially if you're soloing. The content gets more difficult after Chapter 1, and when I solo'ed two of my characters through to 50, I was finding I needed to stay 3-4 levels overleveled to be able to keep up.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your answers and recommendations.

The best solution, unfortunately, isn't available. Like two of you have mentioned, is the "toggle experience" option. I would LOVE to see this feature implemented soon. Really. It would solve all my problems, and more. It would let repeat the flashpoints to get the gear according you class -and even to your companion- without winning a couple levels. Also, It would let advance at the same time with another F2P/Preferred player -as is my case-. I have seen there is a "suggestion box" to give ideas for the game, and I have seen another player gave it -more or less; he said to put a legacy unlock, I prefer a general option-, but I think it has gone unnoticed, even without any reply. I would like to do my part, perhaps suggest it, mention the benefits of it. Don't you think?

About the others solutions, there is a loss in each one: or less challenging, or with outdated gear, or having a list with the quests done on each planet to done the rest with another character... Anyway, I think the options more fitted to me are: continue with a "balanced" character to keep it challenging, and when hit 50 come back and do all remaining missions and codex entries -but... will I really do it? :rolleyes:- or have an overleveled character to do all possible in the galaxy, and the next characters will be the balanced ones. And I think I prefer the last one.

So, now I'm wondering the same, Saragundius:

Why would you delete your character?

Perhaps the answer in one word is "perfectionism". Something went wrong, wasn't enjoying... then I typed "delete". I'm not proud of that side of my personality , but I do not regret of it.

Thanks again guys, and keep up your great work.

Thank you everyone for your answers and recommendations.

Thanks again guys, and keep up your great work.

Another thing just hit me now that you could try. It won't work for all missions because some of them are linked, (there might be guides online as to which ones) but you can hold off on handing in some missions until your done with the planet. You'll still get the xp from the kils but you wont get those big chunks until you want them. it'd be easier if you had more than 25 mission slots, but it could still make an impact

Trigger while you quest but don't play heroics until after they turn grey (>6levels over quest level, not 5 as someone said above). Do the same with the bonus series on each planet-grab it on your way out but come back and do it after it goes grey. The entire bonus series only takes up 1 slot in your mission log until you start it. Fail to complete bonus quests, especially multi-stage bonus quests which usually grant more xp than the mission they're associated with. Just abandon the bonus quest before turn-in or don't pick up the boss drop if you still want to complete it but not gain the xp. Eliminate all datacron hunting until you're lvl 50. Same with space missions and Flashpoints. If you're shadow/smuggler/assassin or operative, just stealth past all lthe mobs. Don't talk to your companions until much later than designed.

Another thing just hit me now that you could try. It won't work for all missions because some of them are linked, (there might be guides online as to which ones) but you can hold off on handing in some missions until your done with the planet. You'll still get the xp from the kils but you wont get those big chunks until you want them. it'd be easier if you had more than 25 mission slots, but it could still make an impact

One problem with this is I believe there is a completed quest queue maximum of like 4 or 5. If you have already completed but not turned-in (let's say) 5 quests, I'm pretty sure you can't trigger new ones. Plus, it's a royal pain to manage your completed quest queue because you have to close out each one in the queue with every new completion.

Ironic, I stopped playing because without double-exp I cant bring myself to level anymore.

I actually canceled my account until BioWare announces permanent double-exp, at least on weekends or via Cartel Market.

I understand how double XP weekend helps those vet players that have seen the levelling areas too much.

For myself, a new player, double XP weekend means i get to enjoy the outside world as i don't want to level fast. ("endgame" content is something i only enjoyed pre WoW)