Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best PVE sniper spec 2.0?

LordCJK
03.29.2013 , 11:04 AM | #1
Hello everyone, i'd like to ask something. In 1.7 on live best sniper spec which does highest sustained damage is hybrid engineering/lethality. Yes, yes, it's all depends on personal taste, someone prefer MM, someone Full Lethality but still all it's spec with highest damage on single target even if energy management is hard. So i'd like to ask what spec does highest damage in 2.0? I see Engineering parse 2951 DPS but still it works only for fights with huge hit circle on bosses, from the other hand we have 2700 parse on hybrid which doesn't require any unusual circumstances. So what spec is best in general? For example, if you do FULL Ops in one spec without respec.
Notice that i'm, asking only about endgame PvE( raiding in other words ).

Kelderek
03.29.2013 , 12:39 PM | #2
I honestly think more testing is needed. I'm not sure we ever figured out a definitive answer to how we should gear up stat-wise -- we need some updated spreadsheets and such.

Keep in mind that Eng/Leth hybrid was partially nerfed in that Explosive Engineering now specifically does NOT affect Corrosive Grenade any more, but even so it might still be better than full lethality.

I will probably go back and forth between engineering, lethality and the hybrid as I level to see what I like best, but I suspect that I might end up with full lethality just because I love the Lethal Takedown proc so much.

paowee
03.29.2013 , 01:55 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by LordCJK View Post
Hello everyone, i'd like to ask something. In 1.7 on live best sniper spec which does highest sustained damage is hybrid engineering/lethality. Yes, yes, it's all depends on personal taste, someone prefer MM, someone Full Lethality but still all it's spec with highest damage on single target even if energy management is hard. So i'd like to ask what spec does highest damage in 2.0? I see Engineering parse 2951 DPS but still it works only for fights with huge hit circle on bosses, from the other hand we have 2700 parse on hybrid which doesn't require any unusual circumstances. So what spec is best in general? For example, if you do FULL Ops in one spec without respec.
Notice that i'm, asking only about endgame PvE( raiding in other words ).
This is what i've found from playing in the PTS.

SCUM AND VILLANY
Here is my breakdown re: MM vs Lethality
1) Dashroode - i would say MM = Hybrid for this fight

2) Titan 6 - if you get to stay on the boss 100% of the time; Hybrid. If you assigned on adds MM would be a good choice. MM = Hybrid

3) Thrasher - Hybrid if you DPS boss 100% of the time. If you can pull off Hybrid despite being on add duty, then good for you and no need to go MM!

4) Operations Chief - MM = Hybrid, I would even say MM is better because of the add spawns and target swaps. BUT if you can make it work and manage your energy well enough, Hybrid > MM for this fight.

5) Olok the Shadow - MM > Hybrid. You need to see the encounter for yourself. Run as MM and have a guildie sniper roll Hybrid. You will see that you do a LOT more damage compared to him due to the nature of the fight. (3 phases: Top floor, Ground floor, actual boss phase)

6) Cartel Warlords - Hybrid > MM imho. 4 targets, multi-dottable, target switches almost non-existent

7) Dread Master Styrak - MM > Hybrid imo. Multiple fight resets. Adds spawns, target switches... Hybrid can work but I just save myself the trouble of energy management and respec'd MM.

These will be my spec of choice for HM S&V 8-man
1) MM = Hybrid = Engi
2) Engi
3) Engi
4) Hybrid
5) MM
6) Hybrid
7) MM

NiM TFB
I cant comment much on TFB since I only ran it twice and both as Engineering. Was not able to test out the other specs. Although at a glance I think Engi will be good for Writhing Horror, Operator IX and TFB. I will probably run Engineering for that entire instance when 2.0 comes :P

But yeah the above post is right. We will need more testing and playtime to figure it out.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee
03.29.2013 , 02:05 PM | #4
Added:

If you go Hybrid in S&V 8-man, you may have trouble in 2 out of 7 fights. Styrak (MM is easier to play here and may even out DPS you), and Olok the Shadow (because of the nature of the fight).

If you run MM, you will pretty much have no problems. Although a Hybrid may out DPS you in most of the fights, you will have the advantage in Styrak and Olok the Shadow. 2 out of 7 bosses. The rest depends on your raid strat, if you are on adds, if you are able to get your Orbital on the adds first, etc etc.

If you roll Engineering in the entire instance you will have big problems in the Styrak fight. You may be able to do exceptional DPS in Titan 6 and Thrasher. I respec out of Engi after those bosses so will need more testing when 2.0 comes.

I think Engi will shine brightest in NiM TFB, So far i've tested Operator, Kephes and TFB and i think i did pretty well. Writhing Horror is very Engi friendly and as for the DG Council.. i will probably respec to Hybrid and once it is on farm, try out Engi once again and try to hit all 3 bosses whenever I roll.

verfallen
03.29.2013 , 03:32 PM | #5
Tbh i suspect MM easier time to target switch, and hard burst will make it a very good spec in live ops. The sustained is about on par with lethality.

One of the main challenge I encounter with leth/eng on live is quick target switch, where I'm really not up to par with other classes because of the high energy cost setup. I'm finding ways around it, but its not exactly on demand and require me to lower the sustained significantly for some burst due to energy running out otherwise.

WaldoA
03.29.2013 , 03:33 PM | #6
Really depends where you are. MM will be amazing for just general PvE like daillys, for single target ops etc lethality/hybrid, but engineering will be best for mob heavy fights I believe.

verfallen
03.29.2013 , 03:39 PM | #7
Tbh I'm not sure the cluster bomb hitting a single target is an intended effect, so I wouldn't be surprised if they adjust the mechanic of it somewhat eventually (never never wish for something to be braindead OP or you can have some surprises in any adjustment patch, and they normally overload the nerfbat)

CJNJ
03.29.2013 , 04:03 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
Tbh I'm not sure the cluster bomb hitting a single target is an intended effect, so I wouldn't be surprised if they adjust the mechanic of it somewhat eventually (never never wish for something to be braindead OP or you can have some surprises in any adjustment patch, and they normally overload the nerfbat)
I wouldn't go that far. In order to effectively utilize the scatter bombs you have to give up one of the benefits of being a sniper:range. While most of the fights this doesn't make too much of a difference it's still a significant trade off. For fights like the dread guard and kephass (not sure about SaV, only ran it once) this can have an impact. I love just how much different the Engi play style will be come 2.0 and glad it can parse out numbers on par with the other specs.

paowee
03.29.2013 , 10:43 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by CJNJ View Post
I wouldn't go that far. In order to effectively utilize the scatter bombs you have to give up one of the benefits of being a sniper:range. While most of the fights this doesn't make too much of a difference it's still a significant trade off. For fights like the dread guard and kephass (not sure about SaV, only ran it once) this can have an impact. I love just how much different the Engi play style will be come 2.0 and glad it can parse out numbers on par with the other specs.
I agree! Engineer will only do its amazing DPS on bosses with big hit circles and other than that, MM and Hybrid is going to be superior in bosses with smaller ones. Even on huge bosses, it still isn't guaranteed that all 5 will hit. There are a couple of these instances in my video and the only way around it is if you take the time to find that spot to roll "diagonally" from. E.G. if you roll directly sideways on Thrasher, 4 bombs will hit (maybe 5). But if you roll diagonally from the bottom , up, you can be sure all 5 will hit inside the hit box. The danger of rolling diagonally is you might end up getting cleaved, but thank goodness for roll's immunity effect (you can see me resisting some attacks after i roll)

LordCJK
03.30.2013 , 04:35 AM | #10
Thank you for your answers.
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelderek View Post
I honestly think more testing is needed. I'm not sure we ever figured out a definitive answer to how we should gear up stat-wise -- we need some updated spreadsheets and such.

Keep in mind that Eng/Leth hybrid was partially nerfed in that Explosive Engineering now specifically does NOT affect Corrosive Grenade any more, but even so it might still be better than full lethality.

I will probably go back and forth between engineering, lethality and the hybrid as I level to see what I like best, but I suspect that I might end up with full lethality just because I love the Lethal Takedown proc so much.
Yep, i agree, but still.
It was nerfed, but this 2700 DPS parse was taken after nerf. Full lethality parses looks really sad now, so yes( probably it can be compared to engineering on bosses with small hit circles just on numbers ).
And yes, about gearing up... I'm not sure how alacrity can affect our rotation now when it affects energy regen + energy regen was improved by itself. Probably with alacrity augments hybrid will shine brighter than even before nerf, but still it's only my wild guesses.
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
This is what i've found from playing in the PTS.

SCUM AND VILLANY
Here is my breakdown re: MM vs Lethality
1) Dashroode - i would say MM = Hybrid for this fight

2) Titan 6 - if you get to stay on the boss 100% of the time; Hybrid. If you assigned on adds MM would be a good choice. MM = Hybrid

3) Thrasher - Hybrid if you DPS boss 100% of the time. If you can pull off Hybrid despite being on add duty, then good for you and no need to go MM!

4) Operations Chief - MM = Hybrid, I would even say MM is better because of the add spawns and target swaps. BUT if you can make it work and manage your energy well enough, Hybrid > MM for this fight.

5) Olok the Shadow - MM > Hybrid. You need to see the encounter for yourself. Run as MM and have a guildie sniper roll Hybrid. You will see that you do a LOT more damage compared to him due to the nature of the fight. (3 phases: Top floor, Ground floor, actual boss phase)

6) Cartel Warlords - Hybrid > MM imho. 4 targets, multi-dottable, target switches almost non-existent

7) Dread Master Styrak - MM > Hybrid imo. Multiple fight resets. Adds spawns, target switches... Hybrid can work but I just save myself the trouble of energy management and respec'd MM.

These will be my spec of choice for HM S&V 8-man
1) MM = Hybrid = Engi
2) Engi
3) Engi
4) Hybrid
5) MM
6) Hybrid
7) MM

NiM TFB
I cant comment much on TFB since I only ran it twice and both as Engineering. Was not able to test out the other specs. Although at a glance I think Engi will be good for Writhing Horror, Operator IX and TFB. I will probably run Engineering for that entire instance when 2.0 comes :P

But yeah the above post is right. We will need more testing and playtime to figure it out.
Added:

If you go Hybrid in S&V 8-man, you may have trouble in 2 out of 7 fights. Styrak (MM is easier to play here and may even out DPS you), and Olok the Shadow (because of the nature of the fight).

If you run MM, you will pretty much have no problems. Although a Hybrid may out DPS you in most of the fights, you will have the advantage in Styrak and Olok the Shadow. 2 out of 7 bosses. The rest depends on your raid strat, if you are on adds, if you are able to get your Orbital on the adds first, etc etc.

If you roll Engineering in the entire instance you will have big problems in the Styrak fight. You may be able to do exceptional DPS in Titan 6 and Thrasher. I respec out of Engi after those bosses so will need more testing when 2.0 comes.

I think Engi will shine brightest in NiM TFB, So far i've tested Operator, Kephes and TFB and i think i did pretty well. Writhing Horror is very Engi friendly and as for the DG Council.. i will probably respec to Hybrid and once it is on farm, try out Engi once again and try to hit all 3 bosses whenever I roll.
Interesting... Thank you for detailed answer.
So yeah, Styrak has a small hit circle but what about Kell Dragon?
And what gear do you actually use( do u stick alacirty or power )?
And since it was your 2951 DPS parse, can i know how you got all 5 scatter bombs to hit dummy ( i hope not very stupid question )?