Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What Mercenaries really need

XeFoneX
03.29.2013 , 01:05 AM | #1
First of all:

I recently put my mind into the Mercenary Advanced Class and was astonished by the overwhelming utility it has. I was already told that Mercenaries easily outperform Operatives and Sorcerers, but after having experienced the Heavy Armor blessing or 'Immortal Healers' myself, I couldn't help but tell the whole world of my discoveries.

Before I get into details, I want to stress that Mercenaries use Heavy Armor. Yes, you heard right. Healers with heavy armor. What **** is this, you ask? That's only the beginning, my friend. Due to that world-changing fact every healing spell should have a chance to have a malfunction and cause a global cooldown in order to restart your systems. This malfunction also generates a high amount of heat and reduces the durability of your gear by 1%, but that's no problem since Mercenaries have Heavy Armor.

I'll be going into the specifics of the healing abilities now and what I think would be an appropriate change to them:
1. Kolto Missile: Kolto Missile should apply a slow effect on yourself and every allied player aswell, because Mercenaries wear Heavy Armor and otherwise they would easily outmaneuver melee classes.
2. Kolto Shell: Kolto Shell should have a 50% chance of healing everyone that attacks the target of your Kolto Shell, otherwise the target of your Kolto Shell is easily rendered immortal. Additionally, when you have Kolto Shell on yourself, shooting an enemy has a 50% chance of healing him and penalizing yourself with a 3 seconds root-effect. That change is necessary due to the Mercenary's natural high mobility and, I can't stress it enough, his Heavy Armor.
3. Emergency Scan: I propose a redesign to a health funnel-like effect, removing the Mercenary's health and transfering it to the target of your choice as the Mercenary can easily heal himself up without generating too much heat and his natural resilience due to his Heavy Armor.
4. Healing Scan: Due to the nature of this ability I sincerely recommend a longer cooldown on it. Currently you can use it way too often and it heavily imbalances the gameplay for other healers.
5. Rapid Scan: As the name already suggests, this ability is way too quickly cast - literally out of order already. 1 more second cast time should solve that issue.
6. Energy Shield: Or the big problem in my humble opinion. Energy Shield should apply a penalty to movement and healing done - both by 25% - justified by the Mercenary's natural immense healing output. For the PvPers it should also be visible to when it's fading, elapsing in a flashing light that makes every enemy within 30 meters automatically target the Mercenary. Again, I justify these changes with the Mercenary's natural Heavy Armor and resilience/close combat utilty.
7. Supercharged Gas: It's like a Marauder's Fury, just for Healers. Wow, you say? Indeed, it's overpowered. Tweaking it is direly needed. Whenever a Mercenary is using Supercharged Gas, he should get a 20% damage vulnerability. That should do the trick and the Mercenary can still easily dispatch of this minor inconvenience by quickly healing himself up and relying on his Heavy Armor.
8. Rapid Shots: Just when you thought an offensive ability can't be used defensively, the Mercenary strikes yet again with another unique and overtuned ability, which is why I propose Rapid Shots to generate heat when used to heal an ally. On top of that, you can't use Rapid Shots on yourself which leads me to think that this was actually intended to be this way - with reason. Don't forget that Mercenaries use Heavy Armor so their healing won't be penalized as much as you might think now.
9. Electro Dart: Just when I thought I have discovered so many overtuned abilities, I find this treasure. The natural high range on this ability leads me to think that Mercenaries should be in melee range more often, which would also explain their Heavy Armor. I'm getting sidetracked, so back to the ability.. A Mercenary shouldn't need to rely on this excellent ranged ability and thus I propose a debatable chance to backfire and stun yourself for the duration of Electro Dart.

That's not enough, you say? I agree! Overtuned class is overtuned! Here's 2 more changes which I find worth mentioning;
1. The Recuperate ability of Mercenaries should generate heat equal to the health regenerated in order to bring the Mercenary in line with other classes.
2. Getting rid of heat should only be possible by unequipping some Heavy Armor pieces as these are definitely the Mercenary's toughest defensive barrier. Logically, less weight will result in less effective heat generated.

I hope this shed some light on the matter of the state of the Mercenaries right now and in 2.0.
Additional credits go to Aore and Zynth.

Your valuable customer,
Valarius/Reddas

MarkXXIV
03.29.2013 , 01:12 AM | #2
great thread 10 stars, would read again.

edit: read again mind blown. bioware get this man a job.

Czekolada
03.29.2013 , 05:59 AM | #3
Dude u're ******* serious? you're poor excuse is Heavy Armor? Dude look on the balance and later start writing. This is just Sad.

dorpen
03.29.2013 , 06:43 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Czekolada View Post
Dude u're ******* serious? you're poor excuse is Heavy Armor? Dude look on the balance and later start writing. This is just Sad.
Satire detectors malfunctioning today?

ZirusZero
03.29.2013 , 06:59 AM | #5
Congrats. You found out heavy armor is your personal weakness. Just make sure someone doesn't approach you with METAL BLADE....

Scoundrel got
METAL BLADE

Too late.
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunityDroidEN View Post
After our Shenanigans radar sounded off, we quickly hurried to this thread to see what was going on. Upon inspection of the reported Shenanigans, we have removed a few posts to prevent further Shenanigans from taking place.

Zyntharion
03.29.2013 , 03:04 PM | #6
Finally someone that knows what he's talking about. May I suggest an additional thing? They should make Concussion Missile CC both the target and yourself because of the Heavy Armour, I mean it's unfair for such a healer to have an additional CC tool with Heavy Armour and their mobility.

Quote: Originally Posted by Czekolada View Post
Not sure if serious or just ..... yeah..

Bmilwip
03.29.2013 , 07:42 PM | #7
I think the listed changes by Sir Val are just what the class and this game in general needs to make pvp more fair for other classes, it is clear that the commando/ merc class is far superior to the other classes and these changes are in dire need should balance ever be restored to pvp.
Barmy Mercenary Healer
Drop it like its Hoth.

MarkXXIV
03.30.2013 , 01:44 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Bmilwip View Post
I think the listed changes by Sir Val are just what the class and this game in general needs to make pvp more fair for other classes, it is clear that the commando/ merc class is far superior to the other classes and these changes are in dire need should balance ever be restored to pvp.
I couldn't agree more with this statement. mercenary are overpowered, the team who has the most mercenary/commando is pretty much guranteed a victory in war zone, its just rediculous.

Helig
03.30.2013 , 02:05 AM | #9
Dismantle all talent trees, remove major attack/healing skills.

Mercs/Mandos are OP enough with Heavy armour healing and damage - all at the same time. Their healing is truly OP because they have unlimited, free healing in Support cell, I mean what the HELL? They have Heavy armour and they can spam healing on their allies while running at full speed!

/
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

HexDecimalUK
03.30.2013 , 04:34 AM | #10
is this whole thread a troll or something?
<RISK>
Hex'DecimalUK-Pyro HexDesecrate-Lightning Shatterclipse-VG/Immortal
Hex'DecímalUK-concealment HexDecimus-Madness Blaster'Chief-AP