Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ideal Tank Stat Distribution in 2.0

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Ideal Tank Stat Distribution in 2.0

KeyboardNinja
04.18.2013 , 01:56 PM | #171
Quote: Originally Posted by Omophorus View Post
The big disparity between your numbers and Tam's go a long way to highlight how much impact assumptions and simplifications make on the theorycrafting.

I buy into the idea of floating shield to see if a value other than normally-assumed value (e.g. 720/790) might yield better results, but Tam's necessary simplifications to make the math crunch-able in a reasonable timeframe on a normal PC seem to be yielding some slightly odd results.
To some extent, yes. If I allow the shield rating percentage to come down to 35% (which seems more in line with actual itemization), then I get the following ratings for a shadow at 2100: {defense -> 739, shield -> 735, absorb -> 626}.

The real difference here is some of the weighting that dipstik is adding. For example, he's assuming a 30/56/14 split on f/t+i/e|m/r+k/e|f/t+k/e damage, which doesn't line up with what I see. Even if I'm only looking at Explosive Conflict Nightmare Mode, I see 67.7% m/r+k/e, 6.89% f/t+k/e and 25.33% f/t+i/e. That's quite a difference, actually. More interesting is probably taking the old HM TfB weights, at 63.32% m/r+k/e, 29.29% f/t+k/e and 7.38% f/t+i/e. By weighting m/r damage as low as he does, the value of defense is diminished significantly. This really underscores the need to get new data on boss damage profiles (working on it!).

Even more importantly than that, his equation has a typo in it. Not sure if this is a copy/paste error or what, but it would result in significantly over-emphasizing f/t+k/e damage. Specifically:

Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
0.14*(1-ir)*(1-r)*(1-s*a)
This term is incorrect, as it should be 0.14*(1-dr)*(1-r)*(1-s*a). Kinetic/Energy damage is mitigated by armor, not by internal resistance.

These are all fairly small things, but they do add up. I suspect that is what yields the difference in calculations.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

dipstik
04.18.2013 , 02:02 PM | #172
I think that's a typo in the post from replacing cell values and the calc is right, but I'll check it out.

I also think I applied the 2% from jedi resistance twice.

Omophorus
04.18.2013 , 02:27 PM | #173
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
The real difference here is some of the weighting that dipstik is adding. For example, he's assuming a 30/56/14 split on f/t+i/e|m/r+k/e|f/t+k/e damage, which doesn't line up with what I see. Even if I'm only looking at Explosive Conflict Nightmare Mode, I see 67.7% m/r+k/e, 6.89% f/t+k/e and 25.33% f/t+i/e. That's quite a difference, actually. More interesting is probably taking the old HM TfB weights, at 63.32% m/r+k/e, 29.29% f/t+k/e and 7.38% f/t+i/e. By weighting m/r damage as low as he does, the value of defense is diminished significantly. This really underscores the need to get new data on boss damage profiles (working on it!).
Sorry if I was insufficiently clear. I was referring more to the assumptions about damage split than your shield assumptions when talking about the differences, I just specifically noted that since it's a major difference in methodology (rather than just percentage weighting).

I had hoped my last note about gathering new 55 boss data would help make that clear but I was obviously incorrect, I apologize.

Was hoping to have data to add to the pool myself but we've got a couple of slowbies on our raid team who haven't hit 55 yet thanks to work et al. and not in any rush to PUG it.
Srs'bsns, Deposer of the Dread Masters
"This is why we don't bring Assassin tanks"
GM of <Proper Villains> of The Ebon Hawk

sithheroes
04.18.2013 , 02:31 PM | #174
Great work guys, been watching this thread like a hawk to make sure my shadow and sin tank are the best I can get them.

If I can help out anyone just let me know
n8
Lillish-Rockets-Nte-Jogenn-Toshi
RdGrenitLulz

Guinnessbass
04.18.2013 , 02:58 PM | #175
Sorry for the dumb question but I'm not sure how to find or calculate my total defense. How do I determine the whole numbers for the calculation looking at my character sheet all I see are percentages. Do I add up all the number from my gear? {1100,{defense->524,shield->440,absorb->136}} How do I find the 1100, 524, 440, 136? Once again excuse my ignorance.

Denchet
04.18.2013 , 03:41 PM | #176
Highlight each stat to find your ratings. So for example, highlight the % defense stat you see and the game should tell you your defense rating. To find your total mitigation stats you have to manually add up defense rating, shield rating, and absorb rating.

alkhattabi
04.18.2013 , 05:29 PM | #177
am going to buy the relics with basic comms (arkinian relic) so am guessing the best relics are proc heal and on use shield ?

iv read every post in the thread and didn't rly understand which are the best 2 elics

thx

dipstik
04.18.2013 , 08:55 PM | #178
Quote: Originally Posted by alkhattabi View Post
am going to buy the relics with basic comms (arkinian relic) so am guessing the best relics are proc heal and on use shield ?

iv read every post in the thread and didn't rly understand which are the best 2 elics

thx
what kind of tank are you? only shadow/sins want the heal relic... but it depends on incoming damage.

Balefire
04.18.2013 , 09:45 PM | #179
So answered part of my earlier question tonight. Won the Arkanian Relice of Fortunate Redbout. I (jug) currently am up to 999 Defense giving me about 20% Defense Rating. When the Fortunate Redbout procs, I jump a little over 4% on Defense Rating when it's active. I think the +4% DEF wins out over +12% absorb. Now the question is whether the 3ish % shield and 5% absorb I gain from on use Shield/Absorb relic is worthwhile (still DG), or if I should swap it out for an EWH relic.

grallmate
04.18.2013 , 10:07 PM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by Balefire View Post
So answered part of my earlier question tonight. Won the Arkanian Relice of Fortunate Redbout. I (jug) currently am up to 999 Defense giving me about 20% Defense Rating. When the Fortunate Redbout procs, I jump a little over 4% on Defense Rating when it's active. I think the +4% DEF wins out over +12% absorb. Now the question is whether the 3ish % shield and 5% absorb I gain from on use Shield/Absorb relic is worthwhile (still DG), or if I should swap it out for an EWH relic.
I'm currently working through that conundrum myself. Fortunate Redoubt is by far the best option for us currently based on time averaged Defence contribution. I'm currently still using my EWH Passive Defence while I work it out. Overall, with the scaled down stat curves it just feels like using an Activated relic does so little I don't know if its really worth it. My preference in the past was always to use the Shrouded Crusader relic since it was less impacted by bad RNG and I suspect I'll end up doing the same or maybe saying screw it and using a DPS relic in that second slot. Power helps Blade Barrier (albeit by a tiny amount) and I'm a little concerned about the combo between the new Proc power relic + adrenal + power activated relic + Inspiration with regards to initial threat.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]