Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Latest Developer Gaff, This Time with SGR in ROTHC

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Latest Developer Gaff, This Time with SGR in ROTHC

_biddan_'s Avatar


_biddan_
03.27.2013 , 05:32 PM | #11
SGR was never a necessity,just h*rny players (yes i'm mostly looking at YOU gay fan-ficion writing girls) wanting to see their toon do it with the same sex,there are better things to implement.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Caesar Legacy
Legacy lvl 50

markcymru's Avatar


markcymru
03.27.2013 , 05:53 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ubermouth View Post
Funny how you make a distinction between gay and lesbian.
Well, everybody's different, but personally I prefer being referred to as lesbian rather than gay, which I see as originally meaning men who are attracted to other men.

In a way, 'gay' is often used a bit like the word 'man' which basically means males, but is often (and annoyingly) used to mean 'the human race'.
Elizabeth Warren for President !

DarkIntelligence's Avatar


DarkIntelligence
03.27.2013 , 09:47 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
How do you know it is a gaff, per se?? Because you say so?

It is more likely a compromise of effort and resources vs time. They commited to SGR and need to include it. But they lacked the time and resources (vs the ROTHC release window) to do SGR equally on both factions. It's also uncharted waters for the MMO so it makes sense that this first release is just that... a first release to test and see how it works before investing heaviliy into it in future patches.

Anyone that has ever run large development projects would know the above statements by me make complete and practical sense in real world development.

AND ..... AND they said that future content would be more balanced between factions on SGR.

You = making mountain out of molehill IMO.
Yes, it is because I say so... it's called an opinion. And I am not sure what you are disagreeing with, because I clearly said that I found it was obvious why this was done (like you say for practical reasons), but found it awkward...again just my opinion. Also I am not making a mountain out of a molehill, in fact just the opposite, again I clearly said that this issue in of itself was not a big deal, but that it was just the latest in a long string of such issues and THAT is the problem.
The Dark Side of the Force is my only master, the search for power, my only quest.
___________________________________________ _______________________________________

DarkIntelligence's Avatar


DarkIntelligence
03.27.2013 , 09:56 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ubermouth View Post
Funny how you make a distinction between gay and lesbian.
Why wouldn't I? As far as things that are polar opposites go this is about as polar as it gets lol. Joke aside, I know plenty of gays and lesbians and from my experience they certainly want to make that distinction. Like someone already pointed out referring to all homosexual people as "gay" is the same as using the word "man" to refer to all humans, a linguistic fault that happens to be prevalent in the English language (i.e. woMAN, huMAN, MANkind, etc.).
The Dark Side of the Force is my only master, the search for power, my only quest.
___________________________________________ _______________________________________

DarkIntelligence's Avatar


DarkIntelligence
03.27.2013 , 10:02 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
Perceptive. 'Gay' has a negative connotation in society. 'Lesbian' does not.
Words do not have connotations, people perceive them, which by the way is very revealing. That being said if you are correct and this was done on purpose (meaning that because the Empire is "evil" it gets the gay NPCs and because the Republic is "good" it gets the lesbian ones), then that's just sad on so many levels...talk about a gaff.
The Dark Side of the Force is my only master, the search for power, my only quest.
___________________________________________ _______________________________________

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
03.27.2013 , 10:02 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkIntelligence View Post
Why wouldn't I? As far as things that are polar opposites go this is about as polar as it gets lol. Joke aside, I know plenty of gays and lesbians and from my experience they certainly want to make that distinction. Like someone already pointed out referring to all homosexual people as "gay" is the same as using the word "man" to refer to all humans, a linguistic fault that happens to be prevalent in the English language (i.e. woMAN, huMAN, MANkind, etc.).
I always wonder why people complain about the english language, yet keep speaking it. It's not like you're not required to learn a second language in school. Speak it.

Seriously though, I know many who don't make the distinction. And as the forum posters here have pointed out many many times, personal experience means nothing.

Also, to the OP, it's already been said that there are flirts on both sides. The difference is the main NPC of Makeb is female on republic side and male on empire side. And that story leads to some level of SGR. Do you expect them to have the NPC just show up as the same gender as the player's character?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

DarkIntelligence's Avatar


DarkIntelligence
03.27.2013 , 10:09 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I always wonder why people complain about the english language, yet keep speaking it. It's not like you're not required to learn a second language in school. Speak it.

Seriously though, I know many who don't make the distinction. And as the forum posters here have pointed out many many times, personal experience means nothing.

Also, to the OP, it's already been said that there are flirts on both sides. The difference is the main NPC of Makeb is female on republic side and male on empire side. And that story leads to some level of SGR. Do you expect them to have the NPC just show up as the same gender as the player's character?
Well first of all I am not "complaining" about it I am simply stating a fact, and doing so with a degree of expertise as English is one of five languages that I am fluent in. And personal experience means everything, it defines who you are as a person. Yes you can be wrong, but that in no way makes it "mean nothing" it simply shows how diverse the human experience can be. As for your last point, as I said in my original post I don't care one way or the other as long as it is done properly and with aforethought.
The Dark Side of the Force is my only master, the search for power, my only quest.
___________________________________________ _______________________________________

JekRendar's Avatar


JekRendar
03.27.2013 , 11:02 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkIntelligence View Post
Like someone already pointed out referring to all homosexual people as "gay" is the same as using the word "man" to refer to all humans, a linguistic fault that happens to be prevalent in the English language (i.e. woMAN, huMAN, MANkind, etc.).
Perhaps it's the linguist in me, but "Man" is inclusive to the human race. Just because it's not politically correct doesn't make it not true.

FUN FACT: Did you know that the question: "It's a boy/girl." is grammatically incorrect? It should be: "He's a boy/girl."

And FYI, it's not limited to English language either.
Star Wars Galaxies (Starsider): June 27, 2003 - December 15, 2011

Pscyon's Avatar


Pscyon
03.27.2013 , 11:21 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I guess so he could use the word "gaff".
I have never before come across that word. I entered the thread purely in the hopes it had been explained to someone else so I wouldn't seem like a dummy for asking. I'm guessing it's something along the lines of "stupid unfortunate mistake".
Sith Sorcerer

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
03.27.2013 , 11:28 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by _biddan_ View Post
SGR was never a necessity,just h*rny players (yes i'm mostly looking at YOU gay fan-ficion writing girls) wanting to see their toon do it with the same sex,there are better things to implement.
Actually it's not the gay fan-fiction writing girls, it's the guys that want to *** to their female character getting it on with every girl she possibly can in game, that make the biggest fuss about this feature - they will also be the ones that will rage hardcore the moment RotHC goes live and the majority of them that don't read the forums realize that the only SGR they'll be getting will be with dudes on the Empire side!
I'm sure a few actual homosexual people will also be disappointed by some of it (and happy about some) - but I always figured they wouldn't be the most vocal about it, though I could be wrong.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)