Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

platforming control problems

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
platforming control problems

Salion
12.20.2011 , 05:13 PM | #1
I have a gripe about the Datacron farming. Most of them require platforming - jumping from object to object. However, the controls of the game are not set up to encourage success at these mechanics. When I press the spacebar to jump, 5 different things may occur. In order of likelihood:

1) There is no jump at all - my character just walks off of the platform.
2) She jumps a short distance with a short height.
3) She jumps a short distance with a high height.
4) She jumps a long distance with a short height.
5) She jumps a long distance with a long height.

I don't get to pick between these options. My testing has revealed that the option is sometimes affected by whether you are standing still or running, but it is inconsistently affected. Having sprint active makes the distances a little longer, but still has all 5 options. If the jump distances and heights are going to be variable, please allow me to actively choose between them, and please remove the 1st option, which happens most of the time, when the game just ignores my jump command.

A 2nd problem is that when I move forward into a raised platform that is connected to my current platform but the jump achieved is a short height, all forward momentum is changed to sideways momentum, and I end up moving sideways off of the platform I am on.

A 3rd problem is invisible walls in midair. I'll jump forward towards another platform, when suddenly, halfway there, my character changes direction and moves sideways at full-speed.

A 4th problem is changing strafing speeds. If I switch from left to right or vice versa, sometimes I'll suddenly go at twice the speed and fall of a platform.

Spending an hour on one datacron repeatedly falling off of the same platform is not fun.

Edit: I've now spend 90 minutes on a datacron without anything to show for it, I give up - until the controls are improved, it is not possible to grind out these datacrons.

Sotaudi
12.20.2011 , 06:03 PM | #2
I have not had the problems you have experienced. Rather, I do not see anything you are describing that I have not seen in other games and cannot attribute to just the way I was jumping. The sole exception to that is the invisible walls. If you are runing into invisible walls and can repeat the situation, bug report it. Keep in mind that the world doesn't actually exist, and everything that is happeing is just mathematics. If you run into a wall anywhere that doesn't belong there, it is an indication a variable (or set of variables) is off and they need to know where it is so they can fix it.

Regarding most everything else, I don't find this game's jumping controls any different than other games. For instance, I got the datacron for extra cunning from the Justicar area on both my Trooper and my Shadow. With my Trooper a few days ago, it took me about three tries to make it all the way there. When I did it again last night with my Shadow, I made it in one trip without a single misstep.

Granted, one difference is that I have a new mouse and keyboard since I did it with my Trooper, which undoubtedly helped. However, it was mostly that I knew what I did wrong the first time. This time, I made sure I gave myself enough room to get a little forward momentum before I jumped when trying to get up on the crates, and I jumped soon enough to make sure I did not jump into the side of the crate. For the pipes, where I fell at least twice with my Trooper, I made sure to move out a bit from the wall, and angled towards the wall for the jump. This gave me a little room to get some foward momentum on the pipe/suface I was jumping from and allowed me to jump into the wall to kill my forward momentum so I did not jump over the pipe. It also allowed me to jump onto the pipe fitting where the pipe joins the wall, which is a little wider (and flatter) than the pipe itself.

There are other things you can do, such as letting go of the forward movment keys/mouse buttons before you hit the ground when you are jumping to a narrow landing area so that you don't hit the ground running. You can make sure you jump before you hit the edge of the surface you are jumping from so that you are jumping from the starting point, not after you already ran off it. When jumping up onto crates, you have to make sure you are not jumping into the side of the crate. This means you have to get back far enough to get some forward momentum and jump before you get to the crate. Alternatively, if you are right next to the crate, jump up and only move forward once you are at the peak of your jump. In the first case, if you jump too late and, in the second case, if you start moving forward too soon, you end up hitting the side of the crate rather than clearing it.

Other than that, I cannot tell you why you are having so many problems. I always have to work at these kinds of things, and I really don't see any problems with this game I have not experienced in others.

I hope it gets better for you.
(██████████████)

Jekharr
01.08.2012 , 01:40 PM | #3
I'm sorry, but this response in a joke. The original post is spot on. The controls need to be consistant. The toon doesn't do what he is commanded to do at all. They need to fix this. I have several friends all having tr same issues, so it isn't a pc issue or a control issue

berserkiest
01.12.2012 , 10:31 PM | #4
I'm also having the same problem. No apparent lag on my end or control problems with any other aspect. My friend sitting next to me in the same room running on an older PC can jump to datacrons with ease, while I'm trapped at the first jump.

And before anyone questions skill, that friend tried it on my machine and failed same as me. It would seem I've eliminated network, pilot error, and machine stats. Unless there's some odd setting I'm missing I'm at a loss for the cause. I've seen quite a few posts and threads with this same problem and a hope a cause or a fix can be found soon.

TheRelentlessOne
01.17.2012 , 10:06 AM | #5
I've been having this issue as well and it makes it incredibly frustrating trying to get some of these datacrons when you are jumping from pipe to pipe and all of a sudden your toon goes "derpa derp" and just steps off without jumping.
Do you serve a purpose, or purposely serve?

Christopher_Epps
03.11.2012 , 07:45 AM | #6
Same problem here! I spent 3 hours last night on 1 datacron before finally just turning the game off. The jumps are so random you never know how to plan it out.

Either fix the platforming or move the datacrons.
"He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done."

Drudenfusz
03.11.2012 , 09:21 AM | #7
I'm also not happy how jumping is currently implented into the game... it's so frustrating to get all the datacrons.
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Lana Everhope - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Shadow Tank on The Red Eclipse
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

Vorphalack
03.11.2012 , 09:24 AM | #8
Farming the Belsavis Rakata energy cubes was orders of magnitude worse than any of the jumping puzzles.

BenjaminminU
03.11.2012 , 09:27 AM | #9
Yeah these datacron platforming games are such a pain, i mean theres one on coruscant where you have to climb up several boxes and one jump is just impossible because of the jump height combined with a gap right where i'm supposed to jump, where realistically a character could just jump and grab the ledge, surely a climbing animation could be added for crates?
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

Drudenfusz
03.11.2012 , 09:28 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Vorphalack View Post
Farming the Belsavis Rakata energy cubes was orders of magnitude worse than any of the jumping puzzles.
It just took like forever, but it was not so frustarting like fail an important jump to get the datacron and have to start over again the stupid jumping game.
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Lana Everhope - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Shadow Tank on The Red Eclipse
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version