Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Patch Times - no longer showing timezones

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Patch Times - no longer showing timezones
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

jankiel
03.25.2013 , 06:07 PM | #11
Uh is adding and subtracting so hard you people can't do it?
Coris of The Progenitor
Mandalorian Hunters & Razorwing

GSF Pilot Master Race

Arlbo_Nabbins
03.25.2013 , 06:34 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by jankiel View Post
So very true.

Its not complicated, just remember the one number that tells you your time zone in relation to GMT.

Zenates
03.25.2013 , 07:07 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
This is a great question! We looked at how we were handling our maintenance messaging and decided a couple of things. The number one goal of the messaging was to have someone be able to look at it and quickly discern what was happening and when.

The problem with our old maintenance messaging is that it was very convoluted, just a bunch of information overload. Although I can appreciate how nice it is to have a lot of timezones listed, it creates more opportunities for us to mess up or for someone to read it incorrectly.

We feel that most players should be fairly quickly able to convert the time out of PDT and GMT to discern maintenance times.

I hope that answers your question on why we made the change.
So, if you were a car manufacturer, and sometimes the brakes you put in the autos you made were installed incorectlly, by Dave, the Brake Installer guy, your solution would be to no longer put brakes on any car you made?
Im sure Dave will be happy with his new job as airbag installer guy.

Jyzai
03.25.2013 , 07:40 PM | #14
The problem with our old maintenance messaging is that it was very convoluted, just a bunch of information overload. Although I can appreciate how nice it is to have a lot of timezones listed, it creates more opportunities for us to mess up or for someone to read it incorrectly.
If I`m getting something off a computer and sitting at home then I want all the information I can get and I don`t want to have to go to multiple sources to get it.

So could you please bring the old way back.
So let me get this straight you want to add a debuff to keep people from quitting warzones, then you might as well get ready for insults at you and others on the team.

Rankyn
03.25.2013 , 07:52 PM | #15
This.
Seriously.

Jinsali
03.25.2013 , 09:07 PM | #16
If it is so easy, and has been in every patch notice up until 2 weeks ago, why was it removed? Did maintenance forget how to add/subtract?

LarryRow
03.25.2013 , 11:33 PM | #17
It's just weird that you picked pacific time; eastern should be the standard.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

tricksterbro
03.26.2013 , 12:46 AM | #18
This is a great question! We looked at how we were handling our maintenance messaging and decided a couple of things. The number one goal of the messaging was to have someone be able to look at it and quickly discern what was happening and when.

We feel that most players should be fairly quickly able to convert the time out of PDT and GMT to discern maintenance times.

I hope that answers your question on why we made the change.
Maybe you could put up a link to a timezone conversion website in the posts, like this one for example http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

JohnnyGatt
03.26.2013 , 01:21 AM | #19
This is why ...
BioWare are closing down Asia-Pacific servers of SWTOR. I just found this news on Google+ and I must say, I think it's shocking that BioWare would not listen to the suggestions made and would instead opt to close down the Australian servers completely. This will force me, and other Australian and New Zealand players, back to the laggy experience we put up with when the game first came out in the US and did not yet have Oceanic servers.

To make it even worse, names that we had secured on original servers are now gone, forcing us all to now change our SWTOR identities. I understand that other players had to change their names as well when the server merges took place, but older veteran players at least had the opportunity to keep their identities if they had active accounts. We are now going to be limited to hyphenated weird names because of the massive populations on the US servers.

Being an avid PvP player, the 200+ ping is going to be completely unacceptable and won't allow me to be competitive.

This is one massive nail in the coffin for Oceanic players.

One of the three Asia-Pacific servers has a more than satisfactory population and a simple merge of all Oceanic players to that most populated server would solve the issues that BioWare have.

Fans suggested several ways to address the problem, with BioWare eventually opting to remove the servers altogether. Musco says the studio will need to update the Free Character Transfer System in order to cater for recent game updates, as well as the forthcoming 2.0 update and Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion pack, so it may be some time before the transfer is completed.

Once those issues are addressed, players on APAC servers will be offered Free Character Transfers to the buzzing North American servers of the same gameplay type. “Mastar Dar’Nala (PvP) will transfer to The Bastion (PvP), Gav Daragon (RP-PvE) will transfer to Begeren Colony (RP-PvE), and Dalborra (PvE) will transfer to The Harbinger (PvE),” the community post reads.
Jean ,John ,Johnny ,Johnnie ,Jeck , Jev and Nomi Sunrider on "Dalborra"
GamingFace.com Your SWTOR Companion News and Info blog!
Full Companion list with gifts on GamingFace

Przemo_No
03.26.2013 , 01:40 AM | #20
While I sympathize with APAC players "bad feelings about servers closure", I cannot do the same for those who cannot simply do some basic maths on time zones for maintenance periods.

What are you being taught at schools guys?
Dark side is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be unnatural.