Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Frustrations at level 50

JericGlamdring
03.25.2013 , 12:01 PM | #1
(If there is already a post about this I apolgize)

Iím not a MMO veteran. TOR is my first one and I still have a lot to learn. Iím leveling a scoundrel and I think Iím doing a pretty good job. Currently at lvl 27, Iíve spent more time doing FP and heroics than anything else (Athiss has been forever engrained in my brain). I feel my gear is pretty good and my crit heals are regularly 1,300+ (not sure if thatís good either butÖ.). I have a long way to go until 50 but I feel if I continue doing what Iím doing, I should have a good healer by the then.

The problem is Iíve been told that when you reach it, you hit a big wall thatís almost impossible to get over. That groups donít want first timers with them during their OPS, even in SM, because of lack of familiarity with fights and not having good enough gear.

So I have a question, how does a brand new lvl 50 get experience/gear from the OPS, if no one helps them? I do hear about dailies, but like I said Iím new, so I donít know much about them. I also know a little bit about guilds but Iím afraid there might be too much of a commitment. I also heard you need a voice chat. I checked out Vent but don't know anything about it either....

Can someone give me advice on what I can do now/later to get over this wall? Iíve read a lot about the endgame OPS and would love to be able to do them. It sounds like the best part of this game!

Thanks

ATAMIANM
03.25.2013 , 12:12 PM | #2
Get in a good raiding guild.

I have 3 50's and still have yet to do some of the advanced operations because I am not active enough in my guilds or just am not on when raids occur. I have never completed TFB, and finished EC only once with my 50 Marauder. (This explains why I am full Rakata only on my assassin and partial Rakata on my Marauder).

As far as SM operations go, you can get in with guild runs or even PUGs. KP and EV are pretty straightforward once you've run them once or twice, and you can access them from the group finder.

I ALWAYS tell people upfront whether I am new to the raid or not, and it helps a lot. Same with flashpoints. I have a relatively new 50 tank, and it is really hard getting better gear even with HM flashpoints. I find that UNLESS I say upfront I am a new tank, people just quit the group if there is a wipe or any hint of a wipe.

There are always jerks who abuse noobs, but that's true of anything in life. 99% of SWTOR players I've been teamed with are very helpful and fun.

mastirkal
03.25.2013 , 12:15 PM | #3
Also depends on what server you are on, PVE servers tend to have a lot of guilds interested in end game PVE content, but RP servers have a bottle neck effect where there are only 5-10 top end guilds for PVE end game while PVP servers have a very very limited end game scope. generally speaking, it shouldn't be hard to find a casual end game guild to run SM then HM ops. Most of that stuff is pretty trivial now a days.

KazHiryu
03.25.2013 , 12:21 PM | #4
You're going to get several answers, so here's mine. Research. Don't go into any OPS without learning the basics of the boss fights. That being said, joining a guild with "newcomer" gearing run is another option for gear. The last and more solo friendly options is Group Finder/Black Hole comms. There are plenty of guilds out there with friendly people willing to teach new players the ropes of the content.

As with Voice Chat, not a necessity for the SM content if you know the fights, but it does help. Though, if you plan to run the HM OPS, then I would say Voice Chat is a must. Any guild worth a darn will have a voice chat server and I'm will to bet, if you ask, they will also teach you how to use the software.

Lastly, if you are new to an OPS or FP, please say so as soon as it is forming or starting up. You'll find some players that will boot you quickly, but I'm willing to bet there are far more people who will take the time to teach you also.

Infalliable
03.25.2013 , 12:59 PM | #5
Groups just don't want ppl that don't know what they're doing.

There are numerous youtube videos out there with walkthroughs for all the operations boss fights, on every difficulty. Read/watch the tutorials and you'll have a huge leg up.

Also, if you're unsure let others lead and keep up with them. There are often set paths people walk in ops to avoid various fights and nothing pisses a group off more than a person who is constantly lagging behind/running and aggroing everything that can be easily skipped.

There are also guilds of every type. Many will bring along a new person and teach them the fights. We do it all the time. It is sooo much easier to do it on voice comms though as you can give instructions during the fights and it's much faster than typing.

Jack_Deth
03.25.2013 , 01:02 PM | #6
As it is currently, you get free Tionese gear at 50 so it shouldn't be that much of an issue. Of course you can't do hard mode operations in that gear but you can do all the hard mode flash points and the story mode of Eternity Vault and Karagga's Palace. Once you do those a few times you should have the gear needed to go further.
Sorcerer | Sniper | Sentinel | Vanguard | Juggernaut | Scoundrel | Mercenary | Sage

JouerTue
03.25.2013 , 07:25 PM | #7
find a guild..if you just join groups in general chat you will have the problems you fear. grab a guild which uses voice chat and you'll be fine. and do your dailies so you'll grab BH gear. and augment anything you have so they'll get an erection about how pro you behave

FROIDBUSTER
03.26.2013 , 06:42 AM | #8
I would honestly peg Warzones as the single best avenue for getting your name out there and becoming known, with the eventual goal of being invited to OPs when a guild needs a pug, or pug needs an extra, etc. Its' what I did with my first toon on 2 different servers, and people vouching for me even though I was in unaugmented pvp gear got me invites. (Also War Hero destroys Tionesse gear as far as fresh 50s go.)

For one they provide upfront experience, you're not smashing braindead quest mobs, or being overleveled and clearing flashpoint bosses, you'll be playing against actual players many of whom on your own class. So you'll start to see first hand on a game by game basis how you stand up to others like you, what classes are doing what, etc. Short of leveling up a class yourself the single best way to get a feel for it is playing against it in pvp. Which will help greatly in all aspects of gameplay as you become more familiar with which classes can do what.

Second, every match you'll be with 15 other players. Many of whom are alts of players from well-established guilds. As far as exposure goes, that's the most people you'll probably ever be playing with at one time. Not only that but over time you'll be matched and become familiar players from a wide-range of levels (1-49) unlike PvE content where you're limited by planet, or groupfinder level-range.

It doesn't even matter if your server is RP, or PvE either.. Lowie warzones give amazing experience, and break up the monotony of planet quests for veteran players, so they're almost always active.

You don't even have to treat every game like a resume or worry about winning the leaderboards. Simply using the Warzones to find better rotations and try out established specs will be a benefit in and of itself. But if you consistently play warzones and frequently play and speak with the same players. Your friendslist will grow exponentially compared to if you had just solo-quested and did flashpoints. And at the end of the day meeting other players is the single best way to become a part of guilds/groups.

Lodril
03.26.2013 , 06:52 AM | #9
The game was really awful about that prior to the free Tionese gear. Basically, you'd get to 50, and either join a guild or get cursed at every time you joined a PUG for missions, and those PUGs would always want to skip all the stuff that would get you equipped so they wouldn't have to curse at you. It was pretty awful, and for that reason, I abandoned most of my characters upon finishing the solo missions.

With the free Tionese gear, things turned around sharply, and now you start the game at least decently equipped (although still oddly short one item... why Bioware, why give me 99 commendations to buy 100 commendations worth of stuff?), so you can jump in with most PUGs without too much trouble, and handle Ilum with fewer wipes.

They may be undoing all that with the new patch, I don't know. Personally, I'll fool around with the new content for a bit, and if it's dull, I'll just go back to abandoning characters after finishing story mode... after 50, there's no level progression, so it becomes a game of running the same missions over and over, trying desperately to get that next geegaw that will raise your stats by a point or two. It becomes math, and math is boring.

Seireeni
03.26.2013 , 07:11 AM | #10
Just be able to listen and do what you are told to do and you're welcome to any ops group I'm leading. I'd pick a person who can take orders over a person who have watched some walkthrough any time. Just last night I actually had a guy who said he was a first-timer but had watched a video about the ops (in KP pug) and we explained the fight in Jarg and Sorno anyway and made the 2 groups (left group and right group) and when the fight starts, this guy attacks the wrong boss and stops reading chat (where I tried to tell him to attack the other guy).