Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Recomendation to Devs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Recomendation to Devs

AK_Snowbat's Avatar


AK_Snowbat
03.24.2013 , 02:41 AM | #1
When this game was in production I remember seeing a video interview and reading a seperate news release stating that there was going to be nothing like "Expertise" in this game because it didn't make any sense. The point behind giving pvp players their own gear was to make it so that a raider couldn't walk in a dominate. I understand giving pvpers gear equal to what you'd get in a raid. I also remember someone stating that leaving expertise out of the game was a good idea so we wouldn't have to have two sets of gear to carry around.. yet ... here we are.

My main problem is with expertise. It's not with pvp gear rewards. From lvl 1 through 49 there is no expertise in the game, players have to win pvp through their own skill and teamwork...as it should be. However, a hero at 49 is quickly a zero at 50. Someone with lvl 49 epics all slotted with augments etc, hundreds of thousands of credits worth of gear goes from a good pvp player to a 1-shot wipeout.

It doesn't make any sense and isn't very "star warsy". Hell Luke wore damn near the same outfit throughout all the movies and I didn't see any expertise slots on that raggy shrit he was wearing.

I understand that you're bending your knee to the "pro hardcore" pvp'ers out there who feel that they should be granted special gear because they pvp more than anyone else or somecrap but the fact of the matter is that in time anyone can get that gear so it doesn't really matter. The two problems with that situation are #1: the players has to run countless matches where they are cannon fodder, limiting their teams abilities at the same time, until they can finally get their gear. I've seen situations where players who finally get their warhero gear stop pvp'ing because that was the goal and they are tired of pvp ... Problem #2 : if the hardcore players are so good (as I'm sure they'll post below) then why do they need the special "buff" of expertise to defend them from new 50's? If they are so good they should be able to kill us with their l337 skillz...

I've been playing and pvp'ing since pre-launch, was very bothered when I first saw expertise but i've bit my tounge this entire time. As a "founder" I can tell you that when the game first game out and noone had an advantage, pvp was epic..pure epic. Then the 50's starting getting geared and wiping the floor with us so you made a special bracket for them, which we all appreciated however the transition between those two brackets is so rough that matchs (especially pugs vs premade ranked players) are full of players complianing about how pvp is all about gear and zero about skill. With the gear advancing through ranks...over time, it's gotten out of control.

Every player who hits 50 now gets a free set of epic gear and blue pvp gear. My reccomendation is that you remove the expertise element from the game (as you orginial promised it wouldn't exist). Tell "hardcore" pvp'ers to shut up and prove how hard-core they are on an even playing field. Let the hardcore raider who's casual pvp use their raiding gear and actually be able to have fun while at the same time allowign the hardcore pvper who casually raids who their pvp gear, which is equally matched to the raider and allow them to have some fun raiding with it without getting talked to about how pvp gear is useless in pve.

In all respects, this gear crap is turning this game into another WoW where all there is to do is gear out one player so you can run a harder instance to get better gear etc etc.

SWTOR is supposted to be about story and depth not about shallow repeats of pointless runs just so you can get pretty purple bracers that grant +5 expertise more than your current and it was worth the 2 days it took you to get them...

I want to go back to actually playing SWTOR instead of logging in, sighing, and grinding.

I'm tired of hitting 50, shelving a char because lvl 50 sucks and starting another new char.

Please remove the expertise element from the game.


-Josh


To all the trolls, orcs, and night elfs...
Yes i QQ,
no i'm not mad bro
yes I got whine with my glass
and yes I think your lvl 50 pvper is crap without their shinny shield of expertise to hide behind...and you know it.

Belly's Avatar


Belly
03.24.2013 , 03:30 AM | #2
They are playing with this on the PTS now. The bolster system adds expertise to sort of even things out for those in PvE Gear It's still not quite right, but that's why it's a test server.
Larcen 50(ish) Scoundrel Scrapper/Sawbones "They see me rollin...they hatin. They whining and sayin that I need some nerfin"
The Progenitor
And loads and loads of alts

Ugolino's Avatar


Ugolino
03.24.2013 , 04:13 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by AK_Snowbat View Post
It doesn't make any sense and isn't very "star warsy". Hell Luke wore damn near the same outfit throughout all the movies and I didn't see any expertise slots on that raggy shrit he was wearing.
Why do you think he lost to a 50 Sith Juggernaut named "Vader" wearing full EWH with augments?

Belly's Avatar


Belly
03.24.2013 , 04:16 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ugolino View Post
Why do you think he lost to a 50 Sith Juggernaut named "Vader" wearing full EWH with augments?
Luke hadn't chosen his advanced class yet. After he went Guardian in Return of the Jedi, he was able to defeat Vader. He tried Defense spec at first and it wasn't working so well, but since he's a sub he field respec'd to Vigilance.
Larcen 50(ish) Scoundrel Scrapper/Sawbones "They see me rollin...they hatin. They whining and sayin that I need some nerfin"
The Progenitor
And loads and loads of alts

iaintoff's Avatar


iaintoff
03.24.2013 , 04:55 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Ugolino View Post
Why do you think he lost to a 50 Sith Juggernaut named "Vader" wearing full EWH with augments?
agreed!

Arlanon's Avatar


Arlanon
03.24.2013 , 08:55 AM | #6
obviously bioware, at the time, did not understand why expertise in pvp is a good thing

now they do and wisely added it

AK_Snowbat's Avatar


AK_Snowbat
01.24.2014 , 04:40 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlanon View Post
obviously bioware, at the time, did not understand why expertise in pvp is a good thing

now they do and wisely added it
clearly they still dont.
SWToR is now no different at end-game than any other MMO. Should I go into and, even though i was good at it a level ago, now get smashed because i don't have the gear? Let that smashing occur until i can get the gear to then allow myself to go into arenas and get smashed just so i can then get better gear? and do all of it before another set comes out. Ya, that's fun
OR
should i run flash points so i can get gear to run heroic flash points so i can get gear to run storyline raids so i can get gear to run heroic raids? yes, that's alot of fun too....
OR
i can just make a new guy, get to level 10 and go back to when pvp was fun

Yes all of that sounds like something that's vastly different than any other MMO. Hell you may as well play counter strike because nothing you do there seems to matter either.

The point is that pvp from lvl 10 to level 54 doesn't have this handicap for those who play excessivly and yet, much to your surprise, people still play it and they enjoy it.
Why do we need it at lvl 55? what's the real reason? The apease the vocal minority who will ****** if it isn't there, for some unknown reason. They feel that, since they play so much, they should be given a hadicap so they can smash new 55's because they lack the skill to do it outright.

Remove the expertise and balance pvp gear with PvE gear. As the game was initially sold "players that want to pvp full-time and still run raids and players that PvE fulltime and want to PvP without issues now can by using the same set of gear"

Cordorian's Avatar


Cordorian
01.24.2014 , 05:25 AM | #8
one week of dailes, the weekly and some addition wzs and you full conqueror in week without even having grinded much pre 55 or having used some of the smarter methods. If that is already too much of grind, than in all honest, why would you want to pvp at all? You don't go into HMs or Nims with artifact gear either, you have grind your gear to even stand a chance in end game pve.

On top of that experise now matters less than it did a year ago, thanks to bolster in 55. Some greens can even give you next to full expertise with even better stats than conqueror.

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
01.24.2014 , 06:49 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AK_Snowbat View Post
clearly they still dont.
SWToR is now no different at end-game than any other MMO. Should I go into and, even though i was good at it a level ago, now get smashed because i don't have the gear? Let that smashing occur until i can get the gear to then allow myself to go into arenas and get smashed just so i can then get better gear? and do all of it before another set comes out. Ya, that's fun
OR
should i run flash points so i can get gear to run heroic flash points so i can get gear to run storyline raids so i can get gear to run heroic raids? yes, that's alot of fun too....
OR
i can just make a new guy, get to level 10 and go back to when pvp was fun

Yes all of that sounds like something that's vastly different than any other MMO. Hell you may as well play counter strike because nothing you do there seems to matter either.

The point is that pvp from lvl 10 to level 54 doesn't have this handicap for those who play excessivly and yet, much to your surprise, people still play it and they enjoy it.
Why do we need it at lvl 55? what's the real reason? The apease the vocal minority who will ****** if it isn't there, for some unknown reason. They feel that, since they play so much, they should be given a hadicap so they can smash new 55's because they lack the skill to do it outright.

Remove the expertise and balance pvp gear with PvE gear. As the game was initially sold "players that want to pvp full-time and still run raids and players that PvE fulltime and want to PvP without issues now can by using the same set of gear"
Go play single player games.

Cretinus's Avatar


Cretinus
01.24.2014 , 06:58 AM | #10
So.... Luke was a smashtard?
nerf operatives