Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

good pvp dps build?


WaldoA's Avatar


WaldoA
03.24.2013 , 02:07 PM | #11
I just run full madness with 1.2k crit hits from FL, it;s boring but it works.

The DoTs are great as they are on relatively low cooldowns, if they are cleansed that healer loses a GCD and I can easily pummel out another 3k or so damage from FL.

EDIT: Full madness is also great for killing GS/Commandos.

Kindran's Avatar


Kindran
03.24.2013 , 02:56 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
What part of "damage boost" is hard to understand? Seriously, they upped the damage on all DOTs, plus Death Field now hits 5 people instead of 3. Good lord, this forum is so full of chicken littles.
No way, they upped the damage on abilities for for an expansion? WHO KNEW?

What you, like a lot of people, fail to realize is the fact that everyone else damage and hp was also increased. In proportion to just the amount of hp increase vs our damage increase(talking about madness here), the TTK stayed relatively the same as live while on other classes it went down. Should I also mention how madness does not have DoT protection either? ATM hybrid is still the way to go for general WZs, because melee will eat madness for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

Also, if you are hitting 5 people in a WZ at once then you are very lucky. That change was more or less for pve.


Variations of this spec will continue to pop up and be better in WZs until Sorcerers can get pvp fixes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death's demise shall arise when Life's creation nullifies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kindran <Carnage Gaming> (The Shadowlands)

AdmiralParmesan's Avatar


AdmiralParmesan
03.24.2013 , 06:48 PM | #13
I gave advice on specing as of right now, not as of 2.0. We do not know if things will stay exactly as they are on the pts.
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
03.25.2013 , 10:43 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Kindran View Post
No way, they upped the damage on abilities for for an expansion? WHO KNEW?

What you, like a lot of people, fail to realize is the fact that everyone else damage and hp was also increased. In proportion to just the amount of hp increase vs our damage increase(talking about madness here), the TTK stayed relatively the same as live while on other classes it went down. Should I also mention how madness does not have DoT protection either? ATM hybrid is still the way to go for general WZs, because melee will eat madness for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
Yeah, you don't get it. Damage increases with skill level caps and such, but they also increased the base damage of all DoTs for Sages and Sorcs. They did not buff base damage for abilities on every class. They gave everyone additional talents, and everyone's damage and HP will go up as a consequence of new gearing. But Sages and Sorcs get a buff on top of that to all their DoTs.

I have no problems with melee classes on my Madness Sorc. Low cooldown root on Creeping Terror, force slow, force speed. Tons of kiting tools. It's a great spec.

Kindran's Avatar


Kindran
03.25.2013 , 04:41 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post

I have no problems with melee classes on my Madness Sorc. Low cooldown root on Creeping Terror, force slow, force speed. Tons of kiting tools. It's a great spec.
More classes are getting root breaks, some on a short CD / every class has a slow, some way better than ours, force speed is way too easily countered with roots.

The kiting tools are nice IF you are fighting 1v1, but the tools suck in a WZ where the sorcerer is the first dps focused because of how easy it is to kill them.

Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
Yeah, you don't get it. Damage increases with skill level caps and such, but they also increased the base damage of all DoTs for Sages and Sorcs. They did not buff base damage for abilities on every class. They gave everyone additional talents, and everyone's damage and HP will go up as a consequence of new gearing. But Sages and Sorcs get a buff on top of that to all their DoTs.
EVERYONES base damage was increased. Sure we may have gotten a talent that increases all DoT damage by 9% and a tad extra base damage for DoTs, but with Force Lightning still doing around 40% of total dps for full madness, the DoTs suck. Lets not forget how madness still does not have any DoT protection whatsoever, and that as an attrition archetype, madness does not have the survivability part.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death's demise shall arise when Life's creation nullifies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kindran <Carnage Gaming> (The Shadowlands)

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
03.25.2013 , 08:20 PM | #16
It's not the class or the build. Madness is perfectly viable if you know what you are doing. It's not a faceroll build like derp-smash, but a skilled player can do quite well with it.

Kindran's Avatar


Kindran
03.25.2013 , 09:52 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
It's not the class or the build. Madness is perfectly viable if you know what you are doing. It's not a faceroll build like derp-smash, but a skilled player can do quite well with it.
Yes it is the class and build. A good/skilled player can do well with them, BUT they would do a lot better with others. THAT is the problem, and it needs to be fixed to allow non end tier people to do well vs other classes that can derp and do better.

If class A is not as good or viable as class B then the difference might be small at extreme skill levels, but as you go down in skill levels the gap gets wider and wider. It is especially noticeable when the gap at extreme skill tier is as wide as it is currently.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death's demise shall arise when Life's creation nullifies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kindran <Carnage Gaming> (The Shadowlands)

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
03.26.2013 , 11:23 AM | #18
I guess it is a difference in approach. I'd rather they took the derp out of other specs instead of adding it to more.

Kindran's Avatar


Kindran
03.26.2013 , 12:03 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
I guess it is a difference in approach. I'd rather they took the derp out of other specs instead of adding it to more.
I am not asking for easy abilities for easy kills. I, like many other Sorcerers, am asking for the tools to be able to hold my own against other classes. Not the half-baked abilities which are countered easily by every other class. Even more so now that Whirlwind won't be instant and other classes get root breaks.

Again, the only thing full madness has going for it is 30% damage reduction while stunned. 70% of our utility abilities are in the lightning tree, and all but 1 are out of reach for full madness.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death's demise shall arise when Life's creation nullifies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kindran <Carnage Gaming> (The Shadowlands)

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
03.26.2013 , 03:33 PM | #20
I think people tend to over-state the gap between classes/specs. I run a lot of warzones, and Sorcs and Sages don't seem gimped to me. I see lots of Sorcs and Sages topping damage charts and generally doing well in warzones. I don't have access to Bioware's metrics, but if Sorcs and Sages are so underpowered, I think it would be more noticeable.

Madness gets a 2-second root on 9-second cooldown attached to a dot ability. The spec doesn't need as much utility as lightning because it is far more mobile. Also, you can dot and use death field from range and often not even get noticed. It isn't until lightning bolts start flying out of your hands that people notice you are hitting them, I will admit instant whirlwind is a huge loss for Madness, and I think they should change it back. But the spec is still really good for PvP.