Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Laptop Hardware Q&A

DuhWebs
12.28.2011 , 03:14 PM | #21
I had a question in another thread about the graphics not displaying correctly. This was the answer I got.

Quote:
Unfortunately, your video card does not meet our minimum specifications of 256MB onboard (dedicated) memory. However, there are existing discussion threads regarding computer hardware which you may find very helpful:
They directed me here. I'm not good with computers so my question is can I just install a new video card or something on my laptop? How do I fix this problem? Or am I just out of luck unless I buy a different laptop?

Spoiler

DuhWebs
12.28.2011 , 07:15 PM | #22
bumpin

Baggpuss
12.28.2011 , 07:26 PM | #23
Ive been playing TOR on my laptop over xmas. Its a bootcamped MacBook Pro with just the onboard graphics (2nd Gen i5) and it runs the game fine on low settings. Granted it doesnt cope so well with PvP and all the action on screen and fps drops as a result, but as far as single player content goes its fine.

Id almost go as far to say that most relatively modern dedicated mobile graphics chips will handle the game fine.

Racquerr
12.28.2011 , 07:28 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by DuhWebs View Post
I had a question in another thread about the graphics not displaying correctly. This was the answer I got.

They directed me here. I'm not good with computers so my question is can I just install a new video card or something on my laptop? How do I fix this problem? Or am I just out of luck unless I buy a different laptop?

Spoiler
Your graphics device is completely integrated. You can't switch it out in your model.

In the future, you'll want to look for a laptop with a dedicated/discrete graphics device with dedicated graphics memory (preferably GDDR 5).

.... or a desktop with a PCI Express x16 slot for graphics cards.

Baggpuss
12.28.2011 , 07:30 PM | #25
Nowt you can do I believe, although its set aside 1700mb for graphics, only 128mb is dedicated, and if the specs are double that, its not something you can just upgrade.

Quote: Originally Posted by DuhWebs View Post

Spoiler

DuhWebs
12.28.2011 , 07:48 PM | #26
Thanks for the replies! It's a shame my laptop can't play it though. But it's more than 3 years old so I guess it makes sense.

hobieone
12.28.2011 , 08:01 PM | #27
game runs surprisingly well on my laptop

2010 macbook pro (yes a mac, i'm graphics designer enough said)
intel 2.7ghz i7
8gb ddr3
has both a 512mb nvidia graphics and 512mbintel hd graphics both independent cards and and have their own video ram(no shared memory like pc laptops)
running game under win 7 under boot camp (medium setting

my desktop with an amd hex core runs it at max and quicker than the i7 primarily due have six cpu core vs. dual core i7 the game is very cpu dependent much more than it is on graphics cards.

GATEGOD
12.29.2011 , 01:14 PM | #28
I currently have this in my laptop:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9800 @ 2.93GHz

2GB of Ram

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (build 7600), 64-bit

GTX260m

It's the Alienware M17x r1 and its almost 3 years old. Do you think its time for an entirely new computer or should I upgrade one of those features above, send out my machine for 2 weeks and have a repair shop install it for me for $60 ?

Rion_Starkiller
12.29.2011 , 01:19 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Scanner_D View Post
Anyone have any experience with TOR on a laptop with a AMD Quad-Core A6 and Radeon HD 6750M--or something similar? I mean I know performance will take a hit, but is it ok to grind with and do the occasional PVP/Flashpoint/Operation? Kinda like Shikan above, just want something that is playable while portable without breaking the bank. Serious gaming will still take place on the desktop.
I have the A8 with the HD 6750M. Just make sure you have "Triple Buffering" turned on in the Catalyst graphics settings. Game runs smooth as butter on low-med settings.
"that commando" -- Zenod
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/2XvBj4

Chrisseh
12.29.2011 , 03:31 PM | #30
Hey i been getting low frame rate since beta ended, could you tell me what i need to upgrade to improve it? I don't know much about computers.

thanks

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/28/2011, 05:15:01
Machine name: my_laptop
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.101014-0432)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire 6920
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 1798MB used, 4543MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices