Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Romance Allowed for the jedi classes?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Romance Allowed for the jedi classes?

LadyLayna's Avatar


LadyLayna
12.14.2011 , 02:00 PM | #61
I was recently discussing this with my boyfriend actually while waiting for EGA. All I can remember on the topic in current Star Wars lore is the discussion in Star Wars episode 2 where anakin is falling in love with padme and explains (something along the lines of) how jedi are trained to be compassionate and how that in essence means they are encouraged to love. I however think that compassion is completely different from love and couldn't quite wrap my head around the idea of a jedi being allowed to be in love at all. I do believe that they understand the need for procreation in order for the galaxy to continue the circle of life, but it doesn't seem like they would condone such a strong emotion as love since it can "lead to the dark side". I mean anakin is the perfect example. The love for his mother was twisted after her death and led him to the dark side of the force through killing all those sand people, "even the women and the children, too". (sorry to quote one of the more hated star wars movies, but its the only one that I can remember talking about this issue in any detail in one of the movies)

I myself being a hot-blooded spanish women, in no way could follow the jedi code IRL so here I come Sith Empire lol!

DuchessOfDork's Avatar


DuchessOfDork
12.14.2011 , 02:03 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by VanCarak View Post
I see, so what you're saying is that you're a better Jedi than those that have romances, because you don't "bend the rules." And following a code of rules determines whether or not you are a "good" person.

That's pride, and pride leads to the darkside...... You're more sith than the ones who have romances or "bend the rules" (man imposed rules I might add, not Force determined guidelines).


Lol. Sad, really quite sad.
Well, I'm not rolling a Jedi, so no what you're saying makes no sense. Of course I have pride.

I'm saying it would be a lot more challenging to NOT bend the rules and NOT have romances, or pride, or emotions. Would it be better? I don't know, but I think it would be harder. Kind of like playing a hardcore nun. I don't imagine I'll see many people who would follow the rules so strictly.

If I DID decide to roll a Jedi though, that's what I'd do. I think it would be fun to have such a challenge.

VanCarak's Avatar


VanCarak
12.14.2011 , 02:14 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by DuchessOfDork View Post
Well, I'm not rolling a Jedi, so no what you're saying makes no sense. Of course I have pride.

I'm saying it would be a lot more challenging to NOT bend the rules and NOT have romances, or pride, or emotions. Would it be better? I don't know, but I think it would be harder. Kind of like playing a hardcore nun. I don't imagine I'll see many people who would follow the rules so strictly.

If I DID decide to roll a Jedi though, that's what I'd do. I think it would be fun to have such a challenge.
But calling someone "half-assed" for having romances means that you think they are less of a Jedi than you would be if you rigidly followed the rules. Therefore by natural process of logic, you are saying that you would be superior to the "half-assed" emotional attachment Jedi. That is pride, and the Jedi Code teaches that such thinking is wrong. No one is greater than the other.

So by eschewing pride and emotion (eschewing emotion is not taught by the Jedi code) you become a superior Jedi. That philosophy in and of itself is contradictory.

In short, you have no true understanding of the Jedi Code, but rather take a phrase (a mantra no less) completely out context and run on some wild, irrational tangent.

Anyone who says there is no emotion, there is peace means that any emotion is bad for a Jedi, really need to take a look at the light-side choices. Those are fraught with emotion and passion.


Basically I am saying that you think the greatest challenge would be to adhere to the rules rigidly, but you are wrong. The greatest Challenge for a Jedi would be to know when to show emotion and when not to, and to follow that judgment no matter the consequences that may result.

Seriously, stick to being a trooper. The Jedi Class is not for you.

Romance isn't necessarily light/dark, not even for Jedi and that fact should be reflected in game.
Cathar? Pshaw! That's so last patch. Give us Shistavanen, or give us Death!

DuchessOfDork's Avatar


DuchessOfDork
12.14.2011 , 02:17 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by VanCarak View Post
Seriously, stick to being a trooper. The Jedi Class is not for you.
If the rest of the Jedi are as sensitive as you are, that much is clear.

VanCarak's Avatar


VanCarak
12.14.2011 , 02:21 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by DuchessOfDork View Post
If the rest of the Jedi are as sensitive as you are, that much is clear.
And yet you do not argue my point about pride. That is why the Jedi Class is not for you, because you think that you can be a better Jedi than those who may make some "dark-side" choices along the way.

That shows a lack of understanding as to the true nature of emotions and romances and how such subjects are actually dealt with according to the code.

Obeying rules does not actually equal light-side. And most Jedi Master recognize that fact and while they may deplore some decisions, they do realize that it might turn out for the best in the long-run.

Emotional attachments or Romance falls into that category as well.
Cathar? Pshaw! That's so last patch. Give us Shistavanen, or give us Death!

Ryion's Avatar


Ryion
12.14.2011 , 02:21 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by VanCarak View Post
...man imposed rules I might add, not Force determined guidelines.
I'm curious to know why people so often make this assumption. It's always been my understanding that the Code was arrived-upon by venerable and experienced Jedi Masters meditating upon the will of the Force. "Man-imposed?" I'm skeptical. It's much more likely these guidelines are in fact "Force-determined" and merely "man-written." Sure, they could have misinterpreted what they saw, but millennia after millennia of successful application would seem to belie that.

The fact that following the Code in the game awards LS points while deviating awards DS would seem to support this theory.

Quote: Originally Posted by VanCarak View Post
Lol. Sad, really quite sad.
And might I suggest we refrain from personal attacks lest our "attachments" to our arguments show. Gotta keep those DS points at bay.
"Choose, and act."
Thet'xun Heth
Sith Juggernaut | The Ebon Hawk

VanCarak's Avatar


VanCarak
12.14.2011 , 02:27 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryion View Post
I'm curious to know why people so often make this assumption. It's always been my understanding that the Code was arrived-upon by venerable and experienced Jedi Masters meditating upon the will of the Force. "Man-imposed?" I'm skeptical. It's much more likely these guidelines are in fact "Force-determined" and merely "man-written." Sure, they could have misinterpreted what they saw, but millennia after millennia of successful application would seem to belie that.

The fact that following the Code in the game awards LS points while deviating awards DS would seem to support this theory.



And might I suggest we refrain from personal attacks lest our "attachments" to our arguments show. Gotta keep those DS points at bay.
I do not understand why people automatically assume that the Jedi Council are automatically right when it comes to discerning whether or not an action is light-side or dark-side. Seeing as the Force judges things based off of both the intent of the person and the short and long-term consequences of the action.

The Jedi Council themselves admit many time that their judgement has been clouded by the Dark-side and that they frequently make mistakes. Therefore it is safe to theorize that though most rules are good, there is a possibility that in some instances the Council may be misguided and the Force may be leading another path for reasons that are as yet unclear.

Romance/attachments are among those subjects that the council has flip-flopped on for countless millennia. They may (and I do believe in this instance at least partially are) be wrong on emotional attachments.

And remember this, even if they are partially right they are not completely right and are consequently, wrong.

Unless something is 100% correct, it is not right at all. That is why I do not put complete faith in the Council's rules.
Cathar? Pshaw! That's so last patch. Give us Shistavanen, or give us Death!

DuchessOfDork's Avatar


DuchessOfDork
12.14.2011 , 02:27 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by VanCarak View Post
And yet you do not argue my point about pride. That is why the Jedi Class is not for you, because you think that you can be a better Jedi than those who may make some "dark-side" choices along the way.
I didn't say I'd make a better Jedi. Where are you getting this? I said it would be more challenging. I'd have more fun playing a character that adheres to the rules because it seems like, in real life, that would be very hard.

I do think some people are going to half-*** their Jedi, though. I don't see why you're so offended by that. If you're not half-assing your character, don't worry about it. I don't even know you or who you're playing.

VanCarak's Avatar


VanCarak
12.14.2011 , 02:34 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by DuchessOfDork View Post
I didn't say I'd make a better Jedi. Where are you getting this? I said it would be more challenging. I'd have more fun playing a character that adheres to the rules because it seems like, in real life, that would be very hard.

I do think some people are going to half-*** their Jedi, though. I don't see why you're so offended by that. If you're not half-assing your character, don't worry about it. I don't even know you or who you're playing.
By calling someone half-assed, you are saying that they are inferior to you who are not half-assed. That is the point at which you are being prideful, and therefore, are, ironically enough, a lesser jedi than those that want light-sided romances options.

Following rules is easy, you don't have to make any decisions on your own. It's been made for you. Making your own choices guided by the Force, and not rules imposed by the council, is the harder, more "challenging" course if you would.

I'm just saying you need to take a look at your arguments and realize that you are off base when trying to reason from the viewpoint and philosophy of a Jedi.
Cathar? Pshaw! That's so last patch. Give us Shistavanen, or give us Death!

DuchessOfDork's Avatar


DuchessOfDork
12.14.2011 , 02:36 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by VanCarak View Post
Following rules is easy,
If you say so. It doesn't seem very easy when so few people are willing to.

One might argue that your entire argument is so that you can justify your ability to have a girlfriend. If you wanna RP that you have a girlfriend, that's cool, but having a girlfriend and being a Jedi who follows all of the Jedi rules would be pretty hard. That's why I think it would be more interesting to reject romance as a Jedi.