Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Rome-fu's Resolve Guide

CommandoPower
01.02.2012 , 01:33 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Felnadir View Post
The resolve system does work. Yes a couple bugs do exist like the client and server may get out of sync resulting in endless cc. Again, due to the client/server not being in sync, sometimes a CC will sneak in near the beginning of a full white bar . Yes I hate these two bugs also. But the vast majority of complaints here about getting chain CC'd and snared are working as intended.

JKs and SWs have the ability to charge an opponent and cause 100% snare that gives the impression of a stun. Whether the talent that makes this into a stun actually applies regardless of resolve is a mystery to me. Someone else can test that and report, but everytime I get chain cc'd with a full resolve bar I have heard the accompanying JK/SW charge sound and seen them wacking away at me. Oftentimes, I will use overload during this moment to get them off me or push them into fire.

Again, as described in the quote above, a 100% snare is not affected by resolve. Snares are not part of the resolve system intentionally. SWTOR is a different game than whatever certain people are using as a reference. I personaly love the resolve system and believe it works well aside from the above mentioned bugs.

People on my server are well aware how much i use resolve to my advantage. They know I run the ball in regularly regardless of all their CC attempts. Ajunta Pal server for those curious: feel free to ask around for testamonials.

FYI: if your character feelslike he takes too much damage during cc, consider rerolling something tougher (like not dps).
I call BS, it's more than that. That does not explain occasions where, through phenomenal healing, I've been stun-locked for 9/10 of the time for a minute straight. That does not explain times where I chuck CC at someone fresh from their spawn with no combat. I've had this happen at close range and I know the difference between a resits/dodge and just plain not taking effect.
I have faith in Bioware and Mythic to deliver a good game. I have more faith in myself to decide in an unbiased fashion whether or not it is good. Neither has any impact on the fact that I will kill you.

JefferyClark
01.02.2012 , 01:37 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by CommandoPower View Post
I call BS, it's more than that. That does not explain occasions where, through phenomenal healing, I've been stun-locked for 9/10 of the time for a minute straight. That does not explain times where I chuck CC at someone fresh from their spawn with no combat. I've had this happen at close range and I know the difference between a resits/dodge and just plain not taking effect.
Amen. I've noticed Force Stasis last for maybe half a second most of the time.... it lets them cast a skill or 2 before "stunning" them and by then the channel is over and they are free again....

Damedius
01.02.2012 , 04:30 AM | #123
I would also say that resolve doesn't seem to work. It seems more cosmetic than having any real use. I have a full resolve bar all the time and still managed to get cc'd.

Furthermore t he whole concept of the resolve system would seem to favor tanks or more durable classes as well. Which makes the whole resolve system a bit flawed.

Mackuss
01.02.2012 , 04:46 AM | #124
Finally, how do I take advantage of this system?
An experienced player uses his damage mitigation abilities in preperation of an incoming CC.
That is the most predictably put, fallacious ******** I've seen. You basically just completely assumed a perfect world of a situation. Yes, we all know what we SHOULD do in a perfect situation - and can theory craft all day long and make complex strategies against the same strategies we think of - but all that does is create the epitome of someone who is an absolute garbage of a player in application.

All of that on TOP of you basically just assumed that every class has a whole ton of damage mitigation abilities up their sleeve. That is not the case - excluding for a minute, my first part about not knowing when your opponent will do what.

Its very important to remember that CC does not work on a player who has a white bar of resolve.
I've gotten stunned WHILE the bar is full - and have stunned someone while their bar is full.

Another simple strategy to use regarding CC is to test a player's knowledge. Instead of opening up with one's awesome 6 second stun, try using a garbage mezz on the player. If one has an addition stun like many melee classes do, try using that first. A less sophisticated player will automatically use their CC breaker, thus allowing one to immediately follow up with the long 6 second stun whenever it tactically suits one. I use this strategy all the time.

In reverse, its important to know what stuns to break and which to eat.....
Anything beyond this point wasn't even necessary to type. Bottom line, you said it yourself:

The problem is, most players find that the bar doesn't fill up until they're just about dead.
Like the beginning of my response - it's pointless to try to predict anything in this game especially with such an unpredictable and stupid, buggy system such as the Resolve - but really, in the end, 95% of this OP has no purpose when you die inside of one stun duration.

The real problem is two fold:

1) Resolve is unpredictable and buggy
2) It empties too quickly.
while(horse.State == dead)
{
horse.beat();
}

Mackuss
01.02.2012 , 04:47 AM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by CommandoPower View Post
Frickin' straight man - I'm right there with you. The game is just currently garbage for anyone who wants to PvP, lol.

It's just really really bad.
{
horse.beat();
}

Mackuss
01.02.2012 , 04:51 AM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Damedius View Post
Furthermore t he whole concept of the resolve system would seem to favor tanks or more durable classes as well. Which makes the whole resolve system a bit flawed.
Very very well put.
{
horse.beat();
}

Dashall
01.02.2012 , 10:53 AM | #127
It's not the stuns so much as the roots and snares that I take issue with. Many are from talented abilities that people are using anyway. Couple that with no resolve on movement abilities and it's a problem.

My Full Auto will snare for instance, so it's not like I need to make a skillful conscious decision to snare my opponent. I was going to Full Auto him anyway when it procs. It makes it too faceroll and you're always movement impaired. Makes the game feel like you're playing in syrup.

Yes I can and do cleanse them but I'm blowing a gcd and then getting re-snared as part of a normal damage attack.
-Dash

Cyphen
01.02.2012 , 12:07 PM | #128
Nice guide.

Resolve often bugs up though, which is damn annoying
Your Blood shall become the Mantle to my Victory!

Master-Nala
01.02.2012 , 12:21 PM | #129
Great post! Thanks OP!

Xaxas
01.02.2012 , 12:36 PM | #130
Resolve really needs to affect roots or immobilizers.

Sheer ******** that I'm being leaped on by 3-4 warriors in a roll over a flame jet, absolutely nothing I can do with a full resolve bar, meanwhile that drains while I'm being immobilized, leading to more stuns.

Annoying DR system, REVAMP IT.
Xaxas Xanadu 50 Kinetic Shadow
<Fat Bothan Spies>
The Fatman
"Ours is the fury"