Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

questions

Sofie_Fatale
03.21.2013 , 01:59 PM | #1
Hello, I am returning and have a few probably stupid noob questions. I played Merc up to level 50 at launch and now that I am back I find its like completely useless pretty much. I am now playing a sorc and having fun in the arena. I don't really care about playing the pve aspect so I have just been leveling off the pvp XP.

that brings me to wondering about my gear. Since I am only level 37 and get the bolster buff in pvp does gear actually do anything or can I continue to just run around naked till 50 or will having good gear help me fight now?

Should I be doing class quests for some kind of rewards that give advantage in pvp that I might need later?

ubermouth
03.21.2013 , 02:03 PM | #2
Me too. Haven't bothered to look into it.

cycao
03.21.2013 , 02:03 PM | #3
Gear is interesting for 10-49. While its true you could get by with wearing any crap you find while leveling you could go the extra mile and "twink" your gear with purple mods/enhancements/armorins and augment everything, but most people don't have the coin for that. Just try and keep your gear somewhat current and you will be fine.

WaldoA
03.21.2013 , 02:04 PM | #4
Gear DOES help in pre-50 but it's not huge difference, I wouldn't go breaking your bank to get top-notch gear. I often run all my toons in blue modded gear and I'm pretty high-end in terms of stats etc in pre50.

I myself dislike PvE and I've got 10 characters level 40+ including several 50s, but I can safely say that if you just dig deep for patience and power through PvE quests it's much faster xp than PvP. That being said I do often wait till around level 45 and then just nonstop PvP to 50 so I've got plenty of commendations saved up upon hitting 50.

Instead of buying ranked commendations I buy the weapons for 900 commendations, and just keep selling them back and re-buying again before the 2 hour timer is up, so I can cash them all in when I hit 50 for normal comms.

beepinbeeper
03.21.2013 , 02:05 PM | #5
the guy above me is a joke hes in my guild on republic side and hes not even 50,,

biowareftw
03.21.2013 , 02:07 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Sofie_Fatale View Post
Hello, I am returning and have a few probably stupid noob questions. I played Merc up to level 50 at launch and now that I am back I find its like completely useless pretty much. I am now playing a sorc and having fun in the arena. I don't really care about playing the pve aspect so I have just been leveling off the pvp XP.

that brings me to wondering about my gear. Since I am only level 37 and get the bolster buff in pvp does gear actually do anything or can I continue to just run around naked till 50 or will having good gear help me fight now?

Should I be doing class quests for some kind of rewards that give advantage in pvp that I might need later?
Currently gear matters a lot in lowbies. Might not be the same in 2.0

Get blue armorings if u can and blue saber hilts You will be facing people who spend a million creds sometimes, depending on your server, but the armorings within 5 or so levels (so you don't get hit like a truck) and saber hilts? You can do better then them cus they usually suck and that is WHY they "twink" in the first place.

Mod's/enhances are usually super cheap from planet vendors (2 coms each). I usually just buy the armorings/hilts off the GTN as long as they aren't expensive.
Einstein's relativity work is a magnificent mathematical garb which fascinates, dazzles and makes people blind to the underlying errors. The theory is like a beggar clothed in purple whom ignorant people take for a king... its exponents are brilliant men but they are metaphysicists rather than scientists.- Nikola Tesla - New York Times (11 July 1935)

Sofie_Fatale
03.21.2013 , 08:34 PM | #7
Thanks guys for the input

foxmob
03.21.2013 , 10:17 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by WaldoA View Post
Gear DOES help in pre-50 but it's not huge difference,
this statement is patently false. you can create a gear differential in lowbie that far exceeds anything possible in 50s.

as cyaco said, you don't need to twink yourself out to be competitive. if you get a new set of gear every planet while leveling, you'll be fine (basically up to date-ish blues).
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
dealing over 50% of a target's health in a single GCD is just insipid in terms of quality of gaming experience.