Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DaRoamer's Avatar


DaRoamer
03.22.2013 , 01:20 AM | #631
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
You act as if that's a good thing. Why shouldn't some, or even the majority, of these resources be used to strengthen the core game instead of more simplistic cash-grabs?
Because they weren't making enough from subs to keep those people employed. Perhaps you weren't here during the massive round of layoffs before the game went F2P.

DarthZak's Avatar


DarthZak
03.22.2013 , 01:21 AM | #632
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowermanx View Post
You dont know that.
Having worked as a Community manager myself, yes I do and if Im wrong they have by far the worst PR manager ever
The Peacecraft Legacy
Elycia , Mariemaia , Minagoroshi

Vandicus's Avatar


Vandicus
03.22.2013 , 01:21 AM | #633
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post

SW:TOR is showing early signs of heading down that path.
Concerning, but not enough to make me give up on the game. The devs have shown a willingness to acknowledge problems with specific CM items, like the +41 crystals and the space mission equipment, and have even addressed the former by equalizing end game crystals as we move forward, as well as mentioning desire to divide crystals into cosmetic and statted. I believe if we point out something that can be considered truly objectionable(even being a feature unique to the CM barbershop fees of this sort exist in enough other MMOs to be palatable to the player base), they will fix it.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

DarthZak's Avatar


DarthZak
03.22.2013 , 01:22 AM | #634
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
Because they weren't making enough from subs to keep those people employed. Perhaps you weren't here during the massive round of layoffs before the game went F2P.
Perhaps you werent there when they said the packs sold way better than they expected
The Peacecraft Legacy
Elycia , Mariemaia , Minagoroshi

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
03.22.2013 , 01:23 AM | #635
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
I think we have yet to see the promised dividends because of content lead times and integration time regarding the hiring of new employees(pretty much the only resource increase that will substantially change a game development team's rate of progress).

The CM is obviously getting quite a lot of resources, but so far its been things that can be done rather quickly(lots and lots of reskins and duplicate items). Creating a few dozen items will always be faster and easier than creating a new operation or warzone.

I think we'll only really have a clear view on where the game is going a few months after RoTHC. With the news largely being centered around the expac, the team hasn't given us as much knowledge about future content as we are used to(usually we know 6-8 months in advance, examples being heroic space missions, every operation thus far, Cathar, Makeb itself, HK-51 Hypergates, etc.). Whereas post RoTHC, we don't have the foggiest idea what 2.1 will be.
Which is precisely why I'm still here, ranting away. For me, I've had many "wait-and-see" issues with SW:TOR. Most, I've never heard about again after they were first spoken of. A few I've seen go back to the "wall of crazy" after we were told they were in active development. A few have actually made it into the game. But, I'm simply waiting on too much to justify playing if I'm not seeing evidence of progress.

SW:G was a game that a lot of people played because of what they saw in it - people wanted it to be something better, as did the developers. Current perceptions of it are very coloured by that: people remember what they wanted the game to be, rather than what it was. The difference is SW:G had a great community to keep players around and engaged. Sadly, modern MMOs such as SW:TOR do not. And I refuse to play another game based on its potential alone.

Personally, my key issue is additional species. I need to see Cathar, and I need to see what comes afterwards. If I see little hope for expansion in this area, my interest in other areas of the game will wither. So I'll see what 2.1 holds.

Vandicus's Avatar


Vandicus
03.22.2013 , 01:25 AM | #636
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZak View Post
Perhaps you werent there when they said the packs sold way better than they expected
They also had way more starting subs and box sales than they expected. Then they opened up more servers to accomodate. I would not be surprised if some of the people making funding allocation decisions are more wary of judging TOR based on its short term results.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

DaRoamer's Avatar


DaRoamer
03.22.2013 , 01:25 AM | #637
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZak View Post
Perhaps you werent there when they said the packs sold way better than they expected
And? Now you're whining about them being successful at their jobs?

They're also hiring:

https://performancemanager4.successf...786&company=EA

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
03.22.2013 , 01:25 AM | #638
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Concerning, but not enough to make me give up on the game. The devs have shown a willingness to acknowledge problems with specific CM items, like the +41 crystals and the space mission equipment, and have even addressed the former by equalizing end game crystals as we move forward, as well as mentioning desire to divide crystals into cosmetic and statted. I believe if we point out something that can be considered truly objectionable(even being a feature unique to the CM barbershop fees of this sort exist in enough other MMOs to be palatable to the player base), they will fix it.
Well, on this topic specifically, I believe the developers need to make a clear difference between a character recustomization and a barber shop. They are very different systems in the MMO world, but people in this thread seem to be mixing them up. Mostly because SW:TOR has one and not the other.

Mowermanx's Avatar


Mowermanx
03.22.2013 , 01:26 AM | #639
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
You act as if that's a good thing. Why shouldn't some, or even the majority, of these resources be used to strengthen the core game instead of more simplistic cash-grabs?
Because the people are just artists hired to make fluff in the store? If if were actual coders that are responsible for making missions and actual game-play elements, you would have an argument.
If or when we see those elements going into the shop, I'll be out the door in a flash, but until that happens, I will not join the choir of whingers making slippery slope arguments that infest these forums daily.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
03.22.2013 , 01:26 AM | #640
Have to agree. I can understand a species change costing cartel coins, but all the character creater options (hair/eyes/ect) I don't see why they can't become a credit sink.