Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Elear
03.21.2013 , 03:09 PM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
You KNOW their goal is to find enough things subscribers want to (or must!) spend CC's on that it exceeds the stipend by a wide margin, right? Subscribers have already shown the desire to pay - they're the target audience. As opposed to f2p players who have shown a strong adversity to paying anything for the game.
Really? And here dumb me thought that cartel packs, credits savers and all that other stuff already on CM was supposed to fill that role.

Blackavaar
03.21.2013 , 03:09 PM | #222
Here's how I read it.

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I wanted to pop in and address some of your concerns about our barbershop and its use of Cartel Coins and not credits. There are a couple of design implications that go into these decisions I wanted to highlight in the hopes that it makes our decision in this regard a bit clearer.
  • We very consciously design these systems around the fact that subscribers get monthly Cartel Coin grants. Pricing, etc. has these monthly grants in mind to ensure that our subscribers have access to these systems but will have to spend entire months or multiple months worth of stipends in order to do so. We did this on purpose in order to assure that subscribers will still have to pay extra in order to make re-customizations to more than just one character every 2 to 3 months.
  • We want to set the expectation that ALL cosmetic systems like these are where you are going to see us use the Cartel Market ONLY. It is our continued philosophy that we will not implement a form of pay to win so cosmetic systems and other non-game impacting features are our best opportunities to make additions to the Cartel Market and gouge players for every cent we can.
As we continue to release more information about our barbershop please continue to give us your feedback, as if we are even going to consider it and not try to just spin everything to make you think that charging you for everything makes the most business sense for us and will insure you continue to get more updates that we will of course charge extra for every time.

-eric
Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Levity
03.21.2013 , 03:09 PM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
You are mistaken I'm afraid. People can will and do spend their credits constantly for these items. I've sold many items from the CM on the GTN and they do indeed sell and I never gouge people. Your ideas of price gouging are not the norm.

What items have not made their way there? Perhaps I should say that all the items are capable of making their way onto the GTN. If an item doesn't sell, people don't buy it off the CM and place it on the GTN. That's just economics.
I'm not talking about price gouging. I'm talking about the price compared to the amount of CCs someone spends. If these barbershop things cost say 350 CCs and people are only willing to spend maybe 50k for it? People aren't going to buy it. And hell even if they cost 150 CCs, it's way better to buy cartel packs and sell them for a guaranteed 300-400k then what those will end up going for.

Eldriq
03.21.2013 , 03:12 PM | #224
Eric thanks for the clairfication I personally think it is a great feature and have not problems with it being on the market. I don't anticipate using it more than 2 or 3 times but those times that I do use it will be worth every cartel coin spent

Thanks again
El'drik - Sorcerer- War Hero - Harbinger Server Care Bear/White Knight
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. Friedrich Nietzsche

Elfa
03.21.2013 , 03:12 PM | #225
Quote: Originally Posted by Levity View Post
I'm not talking about price gouging. I'm talking about the price compared to the amount of CCs someone spends. If these barbershop things cost say 350 CCs and people are only willing to spend maybe 50k for it? People aren't going to buy it. And hell even if they cost 150 CCs, it's way better to buy cartel packs and sell them for a guaranteed 300-400k then what those will end up going for.
So are you worried that CM buyers won't transfer these items to the GTN anymore if the cost of them on the CM doesn't justify what they get from the GTN in credits?
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Calm down, I'd hardly call that whining. He just asked a question. Go have a coffee and calm down. Jeepers.
Lunafox nailed it. This is correct.

Cleet_Xia
03.21.2013 , 03:18 PM | #226
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I wanted to pop in and address some of your concerns about our barbershop and its use of Cartel Coins and not credits. There are a couple of design implications that go into these decisions I wanted to highlight in the hopes that it makes our decision in this regard a bit clearer.
  • We very consciously design these systems around the fact that subscribers get monthly Cartel Coin grants. Pricing, etc. has these monthly grants in mind to ensure that our subscribers have access to these systems.
  • We want to set the expectation that cosmetic systems like these are where you are going to see us use the Cartel Market. It is our continued philosophy that we will not implement a form of pay to win so cosmetic systems and other non-game impacting features are our best opportunities to make additions to the Cartel Market.
As we continue to release more information about our barbershop please continue to give us your feedback.

-eric
The problem that I, and many other subscribers have with this concept is that it is yet another erosion of the "value proposition" that this game is supplying the subscriber with.

We pay monthly subscriptions with the expectation of updates in the content that is available to us. Without regular updates that provide some real expansion of what our subscription gains us access to ~ why should we continue to pay a subscription?

So we can enjoy the event? ~ f2p pays a one time fee ~ subs pay every month
So we can do operations? ~ f2p only pays once they need to ~ subs pay every month
So we can do unlimited WZ? - f2p only pays if they PvP ~ subs pay every month, even if they don't PVP
So we can do unlimited space missions - f2p only pays if they want the minigame ~ subs pay every month, even if they don't play them.

This list goes on.........

Subscribers have received very little in the way of fluffy or cosmetic updates since the launch of the the CM. And many of the items which were most attractive to subscribers were completely out of reach using only the basic CC grant. And no, i'm not talking about the contents of the packs. I'm talking about the complete armor sets which have carried a CC price tag over 2 X greater than the monthly grant. The life day bundle & carbonite chamber are other examples.

1) Subscribers have had very limited access to any new mounts/pets/armors/emotes EXCEPT through the CM, since the launch of the CM.
2) Subscribers have had almost no access to "toy" items outside the CM. This isn't right.

And it isn't what we're paying a subscription to receive.

An approach that would be much more palatable to subscribers is this:
Add more special authorizations & unlocks to the CM for f2p players to buy. Money GATE the new content away from f2p players & make THEM pay more to gain access ~ not the other way around.

How about instead of supplying f2p players with access to the contraband rep & venders for free as a perk of buying cartel packs, you charge THEM to unlock the reputation system & buy authorizations to use our rep venders?

As it sits right now...it's looking less and less like this game has any intention of even trying to maintain a subscription payment model in the future.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

Pscyon
03.21.2013 , 03:18 PM | #227
Then I suggest you either save up your monthly allotment or hold it in.
I wasn't aware it came in monthly allotments.

... oh wait. You meant the cartel coins didn't you.
Sith Sorcerer

Elfa
03.21.2013 , 03:19 PM | #228
Quote: Originally Posted by Pscyon View Post
I wasn't aware it came in monthly allotments.

... oh wait. You meant the cartel coins didn't you.
Lol, I hope so or someone needs to see a Gastoenterologist.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Calm down, I'd hardly call that whining. He just asked a question. Go have a coffee and calm down. Jeepers.
Lunafox nailed it. This is correct.

CosmicKat
03.21.2013 , 03:20 PM | #229
To EA/Bioware:

Please hire someone who understands the concept of "customer relations".

You keep getting opportunities where you have 2 choices.

Option 1 will cost you a little money but make the customers you have happy.

Option 2 will make you a little money and piss off your customers.

You can't continue this pattern of always choosing Option 2. Every chance you have had to throw a bone to your subscribers you have instead decided to piss on us and tell us it is raining.

Levity
03.21.2013 , 03:20 PM | #230
So are you worried that CM buyers won't transfer these items to the GTN anymore if the cost of them on the CM doesn't justify what they get from the GTN in credits?
Which will be the case. Obviously that's just speculation on my part. But I've read posts where people say they won't be willing to pay that much at all for them. So unless the CCs can reflect what people are willing to pay I don't think we will see them much.