Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Philastra's Avatar


Philastra
03.21.2013 , 02:00 PM | #181
It's like buying a ticket to see a movie, you go into the theater and find out if you wanna sit you have pay for a seat, the movie starts and it has no sound, well we only said you could SEE the movie, if you want sound that will cost ya to.
It only takes one candle to scare away the dark, or just hire a Bounty Hunter....

Ooloi's Avatar


Ooloi
03.21.2013 , 02:00 PM | #182
It's stuff like that made me quit LoTRO, and will make me eventually leave this game and go to whatever else that comes out that doesn't do this.

At this point I'm really looking forward to trying Elder Scrolls Online, or the World of Darkness MMO.

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
03.21.2013 , 02:00 PM | #183
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I wanted to pop in and address some of your concerns about our barbershop and its use of Cartel Coins and not credits. There are a couple of design implications that go into these decisions I wanted to highlight in the hopes that it makes our decision in this regard a bit clearer.
  • We very consciously design these systems around the fact that subscribers get monthly Cartel Coin grants. Pricing, etc. has these monthly grants in mind to ensure that our subscribers have access to these systems.
  • We want to set the expectation that cosmetic systems like these are where you are going to see us use the Cartel Market. It is our continued philosophy that we will not implement a form of pay to win so cosmetic systems and other non-game impacting features are our best opportunities to make additions to the Cartel Market.
As we continue to release more information about our barbershop please continue to give us your feedback.

-eric
Hi Eric,

It's really what I've expected. I'm ok with paying CCs. But, I think part of my concern and probably others is with seeing *so many* things heading the cartel shop route, we start to wonder 1) are we just going to see less and less aspects of the game created to be achieved in game and more and more to be in the shop, and also 2) with more and more things that we want being in the cartel shop, as subscribers, the more we will want to spend our stipend, and the less valuable the 500-600 starts to feel.

In other words, the more content is created for the cartel market, the less valuable a subscription starts to feel. I feel like a point is going to come where we will probably need to see an increase in the stipend or else more ways for us to earn them in game.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Kilikaa's Avatar


Kilikaa
03.21.2013 , 02:02 PM | #184
Unless they expand the character creation (upcoming shop) then they may as well not even release it. Right now we are stuck with a stupidly limited system. Four body types, no adjustments can be made. No adjustments for facial features. You select a preset and thats it. Most hairstyles suck. Some species are even more limited. Zabraks should be able to choose their headbone formations seperate from their hair, uet they cannot. Twi'leks should be able to choose their marking design and color separate from their facial cosmetics, yet they cannot. Twis should also have a much broader range of skin colors, but they don't.

Then there is the fact that if you actually do want to use the shop you have to use cartel coins. Sorry, but this needs to be changed to credits. Not everything they add has to be in the CM and this should be one of those features we access with in-game currency. It's something the community has asked for well before they even thought about going free-to-play.

I don't see the barber shop doing too well if all it is is just the current character creation system. You already made your character the way you could with the few options you had. Unless you change your species (a stupid thing to allow) then why would you want to change anything else when you already know what few options you have?

I would like to know if the devs are planning to expand and deepen the creation system when the barber shop comes out. Can you get us that information, Mr. Musco? Can you please present the concerns I have pointed out to the devs as well?

LarryRow's Avatar


LarryRow
03.21.2013 , 02:05 PM | #185
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Hi Eric,

It's really what I've expected. I'm ok with paying CCs. But, I think part of my concern and probably others is with seeing *so many* things heading the cartel shop route, we start to wonder 1) are we just going to see less and less aspects of the game created to be achieved in game and more and more to be in the shop, and also 2) with more and more things that we want being in the cartel shop, as subscribers, the more we will want to spend our stipend, and the less valuable the 500-600 starts to feel.

In other words, the more content is created for the cartel market, the less valuable a subscription starts to feel. I feel like a point is going to come where we will probably need to see an increase in the stipend or else more ways for us to earn them in game.
Excellent post that addresses the concerns that I think many of us have about the market.

I think the Cartel Market should sell Barber Shop Tickets or whatever you want to call it, that are tradeable on the GTN. A good compromise, no?
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

OmenQ's Avatar


OmenQ
03.21.2013 , 02:08 PM | #186
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Then you present a counterview to Blackavaar. I still believe him at his word. And you can NOT negate my opinion by de facto saying I have no arguement because I admit to being neither a broker or a crafter. I can still way in based on reason. Something that many forget in these forums. I wasn't arguing for or against just positing imperiacl observation based on what I have seen reported in this thread. If you had not started your post with the statement that you did, it would have come of as a nice counterpoint instead of being defensive.
I never stated Blackavaar was wrong about HIS revenue stream going down, and HIS view of the GTN market being impacted. What I was trying to get across is that one must adapt to the current market conditions. Were you an active participant in said markets, you could see that while the demand for "Veracity Armor #34 with big stat numbers" has gone down, the demand for "Cool-looking armor with no stats" has gone up dramatically.

There was a time when mid level color crystals sold well and for great profits, but that time is now over. With the cartel market crystals being available at level 10, with the same stats as a crafted level 50 crystal, everything in between has lost a great deal of value. But the response I've chosen was not to stamp my feet and cry foul. I chose to shift my focus to another market segment: Companion Gifts and item enhancements. I adapted.

TL;DR- The Cartel market didn't kill crafting.
Squadron 157

<Your Companion> / <Unhinged>

MajikMyst's Avatar


MajikMyst
03.21.2013 , 02:11 PM | #187
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I wanted to pop in and address some of your concerns about our barbershop and its use of Cartel Coins and not credits. There are a couple of design implications that go into these decisions I wanted to highlight in the hopes that it makes our decision in this regard a bit clearer.
  • We very consciously design these systems around the fact that subscribers get monthly Cartel Coin grants. Pricing, etc. has these monthly grants in mind to ensure that our subscribers have access to these systems.
  • We want to set the expectation that cosmetic systems like these are where you are going to see us use the Cartel Market. It is our continued philosophy that we will not implement a form of pay to win so cosmetic systems and other non-game impacting features are our best opportunities to make additions to the Cartel Market.
As we continue to release more information about our barbershop please continue to give us your feedback.

-eric
And there is your first mistake!! Do not design anything around the fact that we get monthly grants!! What is the point of giving them to us if you are going to help us spend them as well!! Leave them be!! Either that, or quadruple the amount or more so that we have enough to buy the things you are planning for us.. It is bad enough I already have to use them for rep..

There is your second mistake!! Other games have already set the stage here!! The barber shop does not belong in the Cartel Market!! In fact the less you do with it the better!! The cartel market is for the F2P players to buy stuff and buy their unlocks.. I am a subscriber.. My stuff belongs in the game!!! Not the cash shop that requires more of my money!! See the difference there.. I am a subscriber.. My money has already been paid.. My stuff belongs in the game.. Not on the cash shop..

If you are going to make me pay for a hair cut, then in game credits is what we should be using.. If you are going to make me pay for rep, then in game credits is what we should be using.. I am a subscriber.. I shouldn't have to pay for anything else.. That is why I am a subscriber.. That is the entire point of being a subscriber.. So we don't have to pay extra..

If you want to ditch the subscriber model, then let me know and I will be on my way..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
03.21.2013 , 02:13 PM | #188
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
  • We very consciously design these systems around the fact that subscribers get monthly Cartel Coin grants. Pricing, etc. has these monthly grants in mind to ensure that our subscribers have access to these systems.
If you'd like to make sure subscribers have access to these things Eric, simply give subscribers access. There's no need to confiscate the monthly grant to allow access. That destroys the entire illusion of giving subscribers the grant to begin with.

Customization is HUGE in MMOs, everyone likes to be slightly "unique". I fear you guys are taking that ability to be different to an extreme level at times.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here [FREE server transfer being a key perk!!])

Levity's Avatar


Levity
03.21.2013 , 02:15 PM | #189
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
Excellent post that addresses the concerns that I think many of us have about the market.

I think the Cartel Market should sell Barber Shop Tickets or whatever you want to call it, that are tradeable on the GTN. A good compromise, no?
People who are buying stuff to resell on the GTN specifically buy the things that will make the most profit for how much they spend. I guarantee these will be like everything else, IE auth. etc. where you see a f2p spamming chat for hours because he can not find one on the GTN. They will be good for a little while then drop off the planet as people realize no ones willing to pay good credits for them.

Tachenko_Yuri's Avatar


Tachenko_Yuri
03.21.2013 , 02:15 PM | #190
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

It is our continued philosophy that we will not implement a form of pay to win so cosmetic systems and other non-game impacting features are our best opportunities to make additions to the Cartel Market.

-eric
I've just copied and pasted this quote in a word file on my PC.

I hope this file stays there, unused, and I hope I will not have a reason to pull those words out in a distant, or near, future.

Thank you.