Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Immortalelf's Avatar


Immortalelf
03.21.2013 , 01:08 PM | #161
Yeah, put me in the 'not happy' category.

Now, Changing race? Sure, CM, that makes perfectly sense, but basics like hair, tattoos, make-up.. that should be in game. Even body-size to a certain degree makes sense from an IC perspective, especially when you have things like in the JK story-line where a character goes from body 2 to body 3 due to cybernetic implants and alterations.

Anyway. I disagree with the direction they're headed, it's ... very annoying.

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
03.21.2013 , 01:08 PM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Tell that the crafters who can't sell their stuff on the GTN anymore
True story: crafting for in game profit in MMOs is a moving target. What could be sold at gross scalping over-priced value one day is obsolete the next. Good crafters know this and they know their market and adapt if they want to craft in a free market economy in a virtual game. Cartel Market items have little real impact on this in SWTOR... SWTOR crafting challenges are above and beyond this.. and have been since well before the Cartel Market launched.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
the people who expected a Life Day event,
You can't lose what you don't have to begin with.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
people that expected you'd still be able to get perks in-game, not off the market.
Such as? Don't generalize, be specific..... so we can actually discuss it.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

JimG's Avatar


JimG
03.21.2013 , 01:08 PM | #163
The forum is flooded these days with the "I'm a sub so I should get everything for free" comments and I'm certainly not in that camp, and I'm fine with the barbershop being accessible through Cartel Coins. However, we are months away from this being implemented so I'm sure there will be some change on their stance, like what happened with the preferred status players and quickbars for the F2P launch.

While I'm fine with it being a Cartel item, I would think a more reasonable approach would be having it as something that could be purchased with Cartel Coins or through a combination of legacy unlock, quest and credits. For example:

Option #1 - purchase a per character or account wide unlock for the barbershop; or

Option #2 - must have legacy level 10, character must be level 20, and you must run a questline with instanced missions that scale to your level in order to access the barbershop (assuming you place a vendor type of guy on the fleets and at the planet hubs for accessing the barbershop). So you can't pick up the quest for a character unless they are at least level 20 and you have at least legacy level 10. Then, once you finish the quest and can access the barber for that character, you can purchase your barbershop sessions for X number of credits.

Levity's Avatar


Levity
03.21.2013 , 01:09 PM | #164
Quote: Originally Posted by Tweaked View Post
Fact: Subscribers get a monthly grant of Cartel Coins. To use the "Barbershop feature" does NOT require a subscriber to pay extra.

That argument is fallacious.

I like the ability to change species. I support this. i look FORWARD to this.

Lastly, if it being on the Cartel Market is what is required for us to finally get this "feature"... I'm OK with that as it's a better option than we presently have: IE nothing at all.
I love this quote!!! Because if they keep adding these features that cost CCs then ... I mean... we get 500-700 a month... Pretty soon the amount of features will just over exceed the amount of CCs you get so you will be waiting months to do everything that you possibly want to do through the CM.

Vandicus's Avatar


Vandicus
03.21.2013 , 01:10 PM | #165
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
We've lost nothing since going F2P...... right.
Tell that the crafters who can't sell their stuff on the GTN anymore, the people who expected a Life Day event, people that expected you'd still be able to get perks in-game, not off the market.

We've lost nothing...... he.

That's a good one.
I sell my crafted stuff on the GTN just fine, and sell mats to other crafters as well. You're merely parroting people who never actually participated in the markets in the game. The only time crafted oranges were in high demand were before augmentation kits and when oranges could be crit crafted to have an augment slot. This was a very small time frame. The market for crafting has always been predominantly for twinking.

No life day event would have been made last year even if we weren't f2p. If they were able to, you'd bet they'd do it to promote the CM items they were planning to sell.

What perks are you speaking of? Every perk that I was able to buy before we went f2p I am still able to buy now with credits.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Levity's Avatar


Levity
03.21.2013 , 01:20 PM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by Alavastre View Post
I don't know how to tell you this, but some people can afford the house on the beach, and some can't. That's just life. If you went up to some one that owned a Lamborghini and told them how it was unfair they had a nice sports car and you didn't, I'm pretty sure they would laugh and you and then peel out of the parking lot just in spite.
You know I get where you are going with this. But this game is catered to the casual player base right? They work to make it so the casual player base can still be some what on par with the real die hards. Hence all the lock outs and stuff like that. So is it not the same thing to cater to the part of your player base who can't just dump a bunch of money into the game, but are still supplying that 15 dollars a month to them to work at positive changes? That 15 a month is more to a person who can't just spend money so it means more so they expect at least something to show for it.

Sigh. More "this is how life is, get over it."

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
03.21.2013 , 01:25 PM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlon_Nabarlly View Post
When I go to the barber shop they charge me money. Did you expect the game to not to?

I can't see how this was a surprise to anyone, they've hinted at it several times and everything they've done recently hints to anything remotely rated to appearance costs cash money.
There's a lot of stuff I do in real life that I expect the game to not require. That's why I play the game. It's an enjoyable "escape" from the tedious grind of day-to-day wage-slave life.

Urael's Avatar


Urael
03.21.2013 , 01:32 PM | #168
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
True story: crafting for in game profit in MMOs is a moving target. What could be sold at gross scalping over-priced value one day is obsolete the next. Good crafters know this and they know their market and adapt if they want to craft in a free market economy in a virtual game. Cartel Market items have little real impact on this in SWTOR... SWTOR crafting challenges are above and beyond this.. and have been since well before the Cartel Market launched.
Agreed for the most part. However, Blackavaar has pointed out that the CM market has impacted Crafters and has written extensively on this elsewhere. I am not a crafter or a GTN broker but, I can not help but think from a reasoned point of view that if there is an "outside competitor" (e.g. the CM Store) that even if it sells "similar items" and not items that are of better value, there would be a chance that the "in game" market would be affected. Blackavaar said his revenue stream via crafting shells went down when the CM store hit. I will take him at his word. If all is as he said and reason holds out one can pretty much see that the CM Store (the outside revenue stream) could have ( and may in fact already have ) an effect on the in game market for crafters.

Levity's Avatar


Levity
03.21.2013 , 01:33 PM | #169
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
It's actually $10 dollars. You get roughly $5 dollars worth of Cartel Coins every month.

And no, your $10 doesn't go very far. The money brought in by the subscription community isn't enough to accomplish all that is needed. That's the entire reason for the CM in the first place.

Now, they could simply eliminate the CM entirely and raise Sub costs to about $150 a month and that would cover all that was needed for a vibrant, successful, well-developed game that still brought in healthy profits to the parent company...

And it would last about a week before everyone stopped playing.

People have to understand that developing, debugging, programming, coding and running a game like TOR is not cheap and the money has to come from somewhere or it'll eventually stop running entirely.
You're just so funny. Your assumptions of the profits of this game blow my mind. You have no idea if they are funding everything with just subscriptions and pocketing the rest. Stop acting like you know it all ^^

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
03.21.2013 , 01:34 PM | #170
Quote: Originally Posted by Levity View Post
You know I get where you are going with this. But this game is catered to the casual player base right? They work to make it so the casual player base can still be some what on par with the real die hards. Hence all the lock outs and stuff like that. So is it not the same thing to cater to the part of your player base who can't just dump a bunch of money into the game, but are still supplying that 15 dollars a month to them to work at positive changes? That 15 a month is more to a person who can't just spend money so it means more so they expect at least something to show for it.

Sigh. More "this is how life is, get over it."
This. We're playing a video game. They are an escape, they shouldn't mirror real life. Otherwise why are we playing Jedi and flying through space. I'm fully ok with the idea that more work and more money will yield more rewards, however, we as players should not feel the pressures of real life being dragged into this game. That's a sure way to drive people away from it.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant