Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
03.25.2013 , 02:37 PM | #1011
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
Can we stop whining for stupid reasons? Take your anger and frustration out on REAL problems with the game -- like the fact that all of the APAC server subscribers are getting shafted -- or that we may never see class-specific storylines again.
One person's problem is another person's .... shrug, I guess.

I'm not in Australia, so why should I bother about APAC servers? I do sympathize, but more than that....

This Barber Shop thing bothers me though, since it exempliefies how every new addition lately was tailored for the CM while it's perfectly fine to just put one in the game itself. That's what bothers me.

Different people have different issues, it's really very simple.

Genuine's Avatar


Genuine
03.25.2013 , 02:38 PM | #1012
Quote: Originally Posted by AlaricSevGirl View Post
They already said Cathar was only going to be on the CM and a barber shop is NOT basic content. It should be on the market. Don't like what your characters look like, pay or roll a new one. I have rolled several new characters until I was happy with what I got.
i think you will fined a barbershop as been basic mmo content for a very long time in most mmos and are you really trying to say ppl who subscribe should not get the barbershop with the subs if so your are just bioware fan boy or just a newbie

don't even get me going on the Carth only on cartel market
BIOWARE PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS THREAD Collectors edition vendor

CommanderKeeva's Avatar


CommanderKeeva
03.25.2013 , 02:58 PM | #1013
There's only one thing I'm surprised about and that is the fact that some people are still surprised by what bEAware is doing. Some people are so naive.

Subscription means nothing to the developers ever since the F2P launch. The majority of the new content is added to the cartel market, even basic stuff like the Barbershop. And despite what some people are saying, it IS a basic feature of every MMO, in fact most MMOs LAUNCH with in-game appearance change.

So normal makeover features (eg. hair, skin, tattoos, scars, eyes, beard, mustache etc.) should definitely be available for in-game credits. You could still pay for them with Cartel coins, if you're too lazy to farm dailies, but subscribers are entitled to basic appearance changes for in-game credits.

Extreme makeover features (eg. body type, gender, species) are unrealistic and wouldn't interest too many people anyway, so you could charge CC for that if you want. But Cartel Coins for a freakin' haircut? Ridiculous.

At the rate this game is degenerating (and I'm really sad to say that since I consider myself a huge SWTOR fan), I won't be surprised if at some point, they just decide to do away with subscriptions completely and force everyone to buy weekly ops, warzone and flashpoint passes and pay for new "content" updates.
BEING A GOOD SOLDIER COMES DOWN TO ONE THING, ONE SINGLE QUESTION:
WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO SACRIFICE?

LadyJezebele's Avatar


LadyJezebele
03.25.2013 , 03:27 PM | #1014
So they say it will be here early summer. They said Cathar would be here last year by the end of the year. I am sick and tired of their vague dates. Not just for Cathar but for anything. They have proven time and time again that they can not deliver what they promise when they promise. I LOVE this game, I have a sub and have since release. I don't plan to stop playing but the annoyance of these vague dates just sends me over the deep end. Just stop promising things. It just makes them seem even more unreliable.

Emencie's Avatar


Emencie
03.25.2013 , 04:04 PM | #1015
I'm still wondering what games people are talking about that have this feature completely contained in game and free of charges, outside in game currency.

(Which by the way we already know this will be available for in game currency on the GTN)

CosmicKat's Avatar


CosmicKat
03.25.2013 , 04:52 PM | #1016
Quote: Originally Posted by Emencie View Post
I'm still wondering what games people are talking about that have this feature completely contained in game and free of charges, outside in game currency.

(Which by the way we already know this will be available for in game currency on the GTN)
Champions Online is one. Every facet of appearance can be changed for a minimal ingame credit cost. Also available for F2P players for the same ingame prices as subs.

City of Heroes and SWG were two that are no longer around that also offered it.

Can't remember others off the top of my head.

DarthZak's Avatar


DarthZak
03.25.2013 , 05:07 PM | #1017
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
They generally only post on weekends if there's emergency maintenance or something, so counting Saturday and Sunday "against" them is wildly unfair.

Eric did come in here and comment. He reiterated that they view it as cosmetic so it's going into the RMT shop. His post seemed pretty clear that they weren't really considering changing this approach.
I disagree, I didnt count on them to post on a weekend but I did count on them to have thought about this issue extensively and have a solution ready for monday. Even an "We're talking/discussing it" would be nice

Quote: Originally Posted by Kilora View Post
Seriously, do you people just like to complain?!

I see NO issue what-so-ever. Plenty of games don't even allow you to make ANY changes to your characters appearance. If you don't bother to take the time when you make the character -- stop complaining. Seriously.

Everyone screams for more options and more chioces and more content -- and then BW gets blasted over EVERYTHING they release.

Purely cosmetic -- grow up. If you care that much, pay for it. If you don't care, don't pay. Simple as that. You aren't missing out on a part of the game because of it. At least the arguments people are throwing out for advanced-class changes ACTUALLY AFFECT gameplay.

Can we stop whining for stupid reasons? Take your anger and frustration out on REAL problems with the game -- like the fact that all of the APAC server subscribers are getting shafted -- or that we may never see class-specific storylines again.
You have no issues whatsoever? Well I have no issues whatsoever with the APAC servers since I dont play on them and Im not bothered with their issues, wait that sounds very selfish doesnt it?

Plenty of games however DO allow you to change your looks, almost any MMO does bar the small ****** ones. Yes we want more content and choice but the choice is also taken away when everything has to be paid with CC's. We like the content but not the way we're getting it. See the different?
As for "pure cosmetic", so? Some people care. I like to look good irl and I want that reflected in-game.

Also the APAC issues are resolved, and yes the storyline specific stuff is bad as well but kinda off topic dont you think?
Theyre all a part of this game going down the drain, APAC and storyline because the game didnt attract the numbers they wanted and the barbershop because F2P happened which happened because the game didnt attract the numbers they wanted
The Peacecraft Legacy
Elycia , Mariemaia , Minagoroshi

DarthZak's Avatar


DarthZak
03.25.2013 , 05:08 PM | #1018
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Champions Online is one. Every facet of appearance can be changed for a minimal ingame credit cost. Also available for F2P players for the same ingame prices as subs.

City of Heroes and SWG were two that are no longer around that also offered it.

Can't remember others off the top of my head.
WoW offers minor changes for free, STO as well
The Peacecraft Legacy
Elycia , Mariemaia , Minagoroshi

Emencie's Avatar


Emencie
03.25.2013 , 05:57 PM | #1019
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Champions Online is one. Every facet of appearance can be changed for a minimal ingame credit cost. Also available for F2P players for the same ingame prices as subs.

City of Heroes and SWG were two that are no longer around that also offered it.

Can't remember others off the top of my head.
Ahh COH And Champs Loved those games. They really fall almost into their own category when it comes to that because the game works completely differently as there are a lot less constraints and of course no racial options in those types of game. And of course that is the entire purpose of Champions.

I agree though being able to have one character that can at will Change to any spec, build, look, form, and anything else was really awesome! I admit I forgot about those, but again because they fall into a very different feel of MMO than the "WoW Clone" games like Rift, EQ, SWTOR, and the like. All of which to my knowledge do not even offer these services at all. I feel like I'm the only person that likes that we can finally customize our characters.

Ozena's Avatar


Ozena
03.25.2013 , 09:01 PM | #1020
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I wanted to pop in and address some of your concerns about our barbershop and its use of Cartel Coins and not credits. There are a couple of design implications that go into these decisions I wanted to highlight in the hopes that it makes our decision in this regard a bit clearer.
  • We very consciously design these systems around the fact that subscribers get monthly Cartel Coin grants. Pricing, etc. has these monthly grants in mind to ensure that our subscribers have access to these systems.
  • We want to set the expectation that cosmetic systems like these are where you are going to see us use the Cartel Market. It is our continued philosophy that we will not implement a form of pay to win so cosmetic systems and other non-game impacting features are our best opportunities to make additions to the Cartel Market.
As we continue to release more information about our barbershop please continue to give us your feedback.

-eric
The game doesn't have enough credit sinks imo. I'm serious. The Barber Shop should utilize in-game currency as a way of removing credits from the economy. Inflation is nuts.