Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

State of the Game #3

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

skotish
03.22.2013 , 10:27 AM | #361
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
They exist. They're in the code. A few of my fellow testers actually enabled them during beta (and they may have been officially active for a bit - I wasn't in every phase). But they bogged down the client too much. It couldn't handle them, even with a great rig. The engine is simply too poorly optimized to handle them. I wouldn't hold your breath for them.
You are correct they worked in beta but got disabled
Quote: Originally Posted by Frankenseuss View Post
Palpetine: "... Not from a TOR dev."
TOFN Farquar'hoffe/Val'korsin

Glzmo
03.22.2013 , 10:29 AM | #362
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
They exist. They're in the code. A few of my fellow testers actually enabled them during beta (and they may have been officially active for a bit - I wasn't in every phase). But they bogged down the client too much. It couldn't handle them, even with a great rig. The engine is simply too poorly optimized to handle them. I wouldn't hold your breath for them.
The same performance issues were the case with nameplates, too. They fixed those, but ran out of time to apply the same fix to chat bubbles. They only recently stated that to have been the case.
And yes, I was in beta and actually had chat bubbles enabled and they didn't hog down my system very much (I had a 10-25FPS drop on my system from 90-111FPS total, which isn't worse than say enabling Anit-Aliasing or dynamic shadows. That said, my system there was top-end back then).
The main reason they recently cited that they aren't in the game now was said to be that they want to do them "right" and find time to work on them. I certainly hope there will be time now as part of these promised "quality of life improvements" after the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion launches, as chat bubbles have been on the top of the quality of life wishlist for socializers and roleplayers since launch (and before that).
I have remained loyally subscribed since launch even though socializing and roleplaying without chat bubbles causes headaches to me in order for them to implement chat bubbles with the money I spent on the game and I think it's high time they finally delivered. Chat bubbles are for the social aspect in the game what the group finderis for PVE aspect and the Warzone queue system is for the PVP aspect. The latter two features have been long implemented, it's high time the developers took time to finally implement chat bubbles as well.

CelCawdro
03.22.2013 , 10:35 AM | #363
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
The same performance issues were the case with nameplates, too. They fixed those, but ran out of time to apply the same fix to chat bubbles. They only recently stated that to have been the case.
And yes, I was in beta and actually had chat bubbles enabled and they didn't hog down my system very much (I had a 10-25FPS drop on my system from 90-111FPS total, which isn't worse than say enabling Anit-Aliasing or dynamic shadows. That said, my system there was top-end back then).
The main reason they recently cited that they aren't in the game now was said to be that they want to do them "right" and find time to work on them. I certainly hope there will be time now as part of these promised "quality of life improvements" after the Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion launches, as chat bubbles have been on the top of the quality of life wishlist for socializers and roleplayers since launch (and before that).
I'm all too aware. For me, the most frustrating part is the knowledge that they're right there, able to be enabled at a moment's notice. I realize they want them done right, but they need to do them, period. Give players the option.

Kunixp
03.22.2013 , 10:54 AM | #364
Quote: Originally Posted by curtkram View Post
are you that person who was almost in tears because nobody would group with you and kill everything for you through all of the solo content so you wouldn't have to? the first planets are to learn game mechanics. you really should run the solo content by yourself so you can figure out how to swing a lightsaber and how the game works. my experience is, if you have a question about gear or mechanics someone will likely try to help. your just complaining about someone not holding your hand and running your story for you.

it does get harder, so if you're unable to beat a silver or gold of your level with a companion helping you, you probably need to figure out why and try again. then, move on to the next planet when you're ready.
I have levelled 7 toons to 50. Every time I start an alt and get on the starter planets and I see someone ask a question in gen chat, they get harassed by other players and told they are stupid because they dont know the answer, or they are told L2 Google. I can see where that person you are insulting is coming from. I try to help new players with questions, because it takes as much time to answer their question as it does to insult them or be a complete butthead to them
Autumnrose 65 Sentinel, Zastastia 65 Commando, Deviliah 65 Guardian, Unfi Sage, Augraine Scoundrel, Chy'raxx Shadow,
Shoushi 65 Sorcerer, Arkadienne 65 Operative, Agalin 65 Powertech, Konvix 65 Mercenary, Uziz Juggernaut, Xandarjj Sniper, Dauber Marauder

Paltan
03.22.2013 , 10:59 AM | #365
Quote: In fact, our major focus after Rise of the Hutt Cartel launches is going to be on "quality of life" improvements. We will keep at it, I promise. We’ll keep listening to your feedback and continue to dedicate ourselves to making the game the best it can be. Nothing is more important to us than getting it right.

Really is that mean that they will fix bug on lightsaber or other small thing that should have been fixed long ago!
Imagination is limitless! Death smiles at everyone, Sith smile back!
If you see my Inquisitor and you just want to punch him in the face for his arrogance, good, I feel the same way!

Sith Marauder 50, Sith Assassin 55

DarthAvius
03.22.2013 , 11:04 AM | #366
Quote: Originally Posted by GoldenHornet View Post
Cool, I've been waiting for a barber shop style feature since launch. As an ex City of Heroes player it's been very frustrating not to be able to change these things easily (I miss Icon).

My one concern is having to pay cartel coins for something as trivial as changing hairstyle. A full body type or species change I can understand would be a cash option as these are pretty major changes, but I would have hoped changing hair style/colour or facial tattoos would have been available for in-game credits as it's something you may want to do quite frequently if you RP or even if you just get bored of your current look.

I guess it's time to start saving my monthly CC grant...
I too am an Ex-City of Heroes / Villains / Champions Online / DC-Universe Online / Runes of Magic / Star Trek Online.. player. I have also Beta tested about half of them I just listed. As you can see I have spent a lot of time in MMO's.

Frankly I am surprised at the choice of spending cartel coins for changing hair styles! DCUO (a main competitor) allows you to use in game credits to make changes like new hair and Skills / Powers respec. Now if you were to give the players a choice of either Coins or Credits, like you do for some of the Legacy Content. That would be acceptable, as it would allow for players to pick the one that best suits their character's budget.

I also understand paying real cash for major changes, like race or even a total respec to a new skill set. Those are major changes. But a hair cut?????????? Think it through. That sounds more like the accountants talking.

I understand that the company needs to make money to keep the game alive. Hell I am a subscriber myself! But don't let the bottom line people ruin what you have started here. You have a chance to keep Star Wars alive for many many years to come.... if you play it smart BioWare. Hell there are STILL servers that have active NeverWinter Nights 1 & 2 (another BioWare game) Worlds in them. Dalelands Beyond being one, I personally know is active.. I play on it.

So be smart... make this the MMO that is shaped by Gamers, For Gamers. And 30 years from now there will still be people willing to play it. Do that.. and SWTOR can take it's place next time honored games like Dungeons & Dragons.
Games that have stood the test of time.

Darth Avius
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me. -The Sith Code-

iammar
03.22.2013 , 11:04 AM | #367
I think before you do any of this, you should fix the problem that some people are having which is rejecting some credit cards for no reason. I've used my visa card to purchase hundreds of stuff and MMO's. It is the first time ever that i face a problem using it, I tried to contact you via email but you asked me to call you. I won't wait on the phone for ours to fix YOUR problem, sorry.

This resulted in me wanting to subscribe but couldn't, I guess many people have the same problem. This issue should be your number 1 on your list, because you are losing subscribers because of it.

Maatkara
03.22.2013 , 11:06 AM | #368
Barbershop...seriously? There are better things you could be dedicating time and effort to (like fixing the known issues that have been around since launch...like the graphical problems in space missions that make my brain bleed)? More and more things seem to be focused on the Cartel Market with less focus on the dedicated subscriber base. I find many of my characters sitting on a ton of credits because there is nothing to spend them on except legacy perks. Here's another idea...let subscribers use in-game credits that we grind at endgame for items. At least then we have something to shoot for as legacy perks become filled. Should also be dedicating more resources to more storyline and growth of characters, 5 levels added in the upcoming expansion will take some of us maybe 3 days to finish...then what?

Agent-XXX
03.22.2013 , 11:09 AM | #369
Well for a 15 month old game its going in a positive direction (atlast) so lets hope the developers keep up the balance of play quality.
Lets all wait and see how the new expansion turns out so we al can have allot of fun in this wonderful game.
Greets all

Morgan_McAdry
03.22.2013 , 11:10 AM | #370
First I think especially for paying players you need to quit milking them for more cash with the cartel market should be able to get all that stuff in game, Secondly as free to play is a great idea you are getting to many people on servers and am finding i am getting heavy population booted so either open more servers or limit the number of free to play players on a server or limit them during high play times.