Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mako starts letting me down - time to dump her?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Mako starts letting me down - time to dump her?

Count_Haake
03.21.2013 , 05:50 AM | #1
Greetings fellow Bounty Hunters,

leveling my Arsenal Merc (currently lvl 43, first char) I've had a good time with Mako by my side. So far, that is. In the last few levels she has started to act weird, not giving me that good warm feeling (heal) when I need it, instead fooling around with other guys (trying to electro-stun non-stunnable enemies for ages etc.). And even when I get her attention, it just doesn't feel like it used to be (amount of heal often is too small).

Should I dump her? Or is this just a temporary crisis?

(Are Gault and Torian good companions? I take it that Gault is a sniper and Torian a tank... still wondering why one of Torian's main stats seems to be accuracy, which is needed for ranged combat instead of melee)

Any good hints?

Chemic_al
03.21.2013 , 05:58 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Count_Haake View Post
Greetings fellow Bounty Hunters,

leveling my Arsenal Merc (currently lvl 43, first char) I've had a good time with Mako by my side. So far, that is. In the last few levels she has started to act weird, not giving me that good warm feeling (heal) when I need it, instead fooling around with other guys (trying to electro-stun non-stunnable enemies for ages etc.). And even when I get her attention, it just doesn't feel like it used to be (amount of heal often is too small).

Should I dump her? Or is this just a temporary crisis?

(Are Gault and Torian good companions? I take it that Gault is a sniper and Torian a tank... still wondering why one of Torian's main stats seems to be accuracy, which is needed for ranged combat instead of melee).

Any good hints?
Have you kept Mako's gear up to date? I've levelled both a merc and powertech and pretty much used Mako through out, without any problems.

Gault is indeed a sniper, and Torian is melee dps, who uses aim as his main stat. If you are level 43, you have most likely done Hoth, and Blizz is the ranged tank, again who uses aim.

With dps Merc, since you have the capability to off heal, it doesn't really matter which companion you use. If you use dps like Gault or Torian, or tank like Blizz you would most likely have to off heal now and again. Or you use Mako and just dps and let her keep you alive.

Stressfire
03.21.2013 , 07:30 AM | #3
Double check to see if she is in Healing stance

Mako's tendency to electro-shock kinda drove me crazy to start with, but it can be helpful.

She will usually shock the first target you attack, so if you a mix of leets and regs, firing off a couple quick shots at the leet will cause her to cc him while you take down the regs.

IMO, Gault is more suited to a PT than a Merc and Torian does OK as a face tanker but doesn't really have the skill set to keep aggro or live very long against anything higher than a silver without heals

QZPMAL
03.21.2013 , 12:09 PM | #4
I turned off the electro-shock all together as it did not help that much and got much more heals out of her at that level, and yes, need to keep her geared as well.

Koyaanisqat
03.21.2013 , 01:11 PM | #5
Use Skadge or Blizz. Up their gear. Kill everything.
Elgyn Vriess, Space Pirate of the KDY-MANTIS Amelia, HYPERSPACE LEGEND.
Courier at large; Mercenary at small.
Elgyn Vriess Courier Company: When you need tab A inserted into slot B without C getting in the way. No questions asked (besides, "What'll it pay?").

QZPMAL
03.21.2013 , 08:50 PM | #6
Yeah pretty much. I now run with HK-51.

JimmyTheCannon
03.22.2013 , 12:05 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Count_Haake View Post
(Are Gault and Torian good companions? I take it that Gault is a sniper and Torian a tank... still wondering why one of Torian's main stats seems to be accuracy, which is needed for ranged combat instead of melee)
Incidentally, accuracy is needed for melee DPS, too.

Joefjr
03.22.2013 , 12:09 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by QZPMAL View Post
I turned off the electro-shock all together as it did not help that much and got much more heals out of her at that level, and yes, need to keep her geared as well.
Exactly what every one should do with all their healer comp's CC. All of the healer comp CC are 8 sec channeled, that is 8 secs when they are not healing. Not to mention they use it on first aggro when you more or less take a front load of burst damage. You can hotkey their CC and use it only when needed,
"If you rolled an operative to pick a stealth class, you picked the wrong one." - GeoLager

JimmyTheCannon
03.22.2013 , 01:44 AM | #9
I actually find the CC kind of handy. ::shrugs::

Joefjr
03.22.2013 , 06:48 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
I actually find the CC kind of handy. ::shrugs::
Yeah it is handy, that's why you turn it off and key bind it so you control when and who they do it to.
"If you rolled an operative to pick a stealth class, you picked the wrong one." - GeoLager