Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Explain orange gear to me

kanezfan
12.20.2011 , 04:22 PM | #1
I hear that it is similar to heirloom gear in wow in that the base stats on it will increase as you level and that you keep upgrading the mods in it to make it better. Sounds great and as I got in EGA last week, I now have 3 orange pieces of gear.

My question though is this. I have had an orange LS for a while now. Yesterday I ran esseles solo for fun and I picked up another orange LS that says it requires level 11. My currently equipped LS says it requires lvl 23. The base stats on the orange saber from esseles are nowhere near as good as my current LS. I thought maybe equipping the new LS would update the base stats, it didn't.

So... Are people misinformed and orange gear doesn't "grow" with you or am I missing something?

Rampant_Durandal
12.20.2011 , 04:23 PM | #2
It doesn't grow as you level. What it has is slots for mods. These mods can be replaced as you level to keep the piece of gear current. If you were to remove all the mods, most orange items would have zero stats on them. Armor being the exception as that seems to have a (negligible) base AC level.
Always Shoot First

TradewindNQ
12.20.2011 , 04:23 PM | #3
You need to upgrade it using purchased/crafted mods. Hilt's will increase the base damage in line with the level of the Hilt, Mods/Enhancement and Crystals add additional stats and also increase based on the level of the mod.

ElleRagu
12.20.2011 , 04:24 PM | #4
Those are modded gear putting diff mods on them changes the lvl /stats of that gear.

swtorsaber
12.20.2011 , 04:24 PM | #5
The orange gear is fully moddable, meaning you have to upgrade it yourself by putting new stats on it.
Revize // Vying // Ze // Redacts

MooseJenkins
12.20.2011 , 04:24 PM | #6
You have I upgrade the mod pieces inside the orange gear o have it grow with you

Spakerman
12.20.2011 , 04:24 PM | #7
Orange gear takes on the properties of the mods you install in it. That is how you keep it updated to your level... by putting current level mods into it.

Can-o-paint
12.20.2011 , 04:24 PM | #8
Orange gear doesnt grow automatically. You have to put in mods to make it better.
Armoring and barrels are what increases the armor and damage of your gear.

If you would put all the mods from your first LS to your second, then the stats would be the same.
Grapes, they just happen.

mutharex
12.20.2011 , 04:24 PM | #9
If you find a piece of armor or a weapon you like, look-wise, you could keep it 1-50 and just upgrade the mods

Aloro
12.20.2011 , 04:24 PM | #10
Orange gear grows when you update the mods. Blasters have barrels, lightsabers have hilts, and armor has armor mods that will change the base damage/armor of the item.

However, it appears that orange items also have a base value, which doesn't increase over time. If this is true, then we'll need to replace orange items eventually, just like other gear.