Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Factions in swtor are obsolete

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Factions in swtor are obsolete

Celesten
03.19.2013 , 06:37 PM | #1
I know I'm gonna take heat for posting this, but I think it's time to get rid of the faction separation.

We can have both factions on the same account on the same server
We even need to have both factions on the same server just to get HK
We can craft, buy/sell for both factions via GTN
We have same-faction warzones pretty much since launch
We have free-for-all world pvp zones like Outlaws and Ilum
The whole Gree event is free-for-all with Imps killing Imps and Pubs killing Pubs.
And we all know that big faction battles are never gonna happen in SWTOR b/c of the engine problems.

Most big guilds have chapters on both sides and even some of the smaller ones have them now too.
In my guild, we all share the same vent, sometimes even when we are opposed in the same warzone.
We craft for both sides and we get mats from both sides for it.
We all got lots of friends on both sides of the server.
Reality is, that the same players play on both sides of every server.

So why keep all the inconveniences?

No friends list that includes both factions?
Can't mail to the other faction (unless it's your own legacy)?
Can't trade with them directly?
Can't whisper to them?

Here is an idea that I would think helps everyone.

Mixed faction warzones (Imps and Pubs on the same teams)

It would speed up the queues:
Wzs would be filled as they are queued rather than trying to get both faction teams filled separately.
It would also help pugs!
Right now, at certain times of the day, Pubs dominate and other times Imps do (not talking about premades, just quality of pug players). Mixed wzs would even that all out, giving pugs a better chance to have a balanced match.

Mixed faction ranked would also be much easier to organize. For example, if your Imp premade is missing a geared healer and a guildie has a scoundrel, boom premade good to go!

Really, same goes for PVE too:
The ops are already faction neutral, so if your raid is missing a tank and someone has one with the opposite faction, he could just use it and tank the ops.

I know the RP'ers will be opposed, and I don't mean to ruin their fun, so don't hate me!
By all means, keep the factions separated for RP servers, and also keep it for 1-49 class stories.
But the fact is that most subscribers are on PVP and PVE servers and don't RP.
For most of us the faction separation is just a big annoyance after 50 and serves no real purpose anymore.

cashogy_reborn
03.19.2013 , 06:48 PM | #2
i dont agree with same faction PvP, even in warzones. it was something i spoke out against pretty vehemently when it was first talked about before the game launched.

there should be a central, safe zone area where both factions can mingle. it breeds a better sense of community and competition. we should be able to talk to the other faction freely through whispers, mails, etc. guilds should be able to be multi-faction if they choose to be.

same faction pvp breeds contempt within your own faction. it completely undermines the idea that we are supposed to be at war with each other. its one of the stupidest decisions i think bioware made with this game; they were clearly copying other games verbatim and stuck a little to closely to the script
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Celesten
03.19.2013 , 07:03 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
i dont agree with same faction PvP, even in warzones. it was something i spoke out against pretty vehemently when it was first talked about before the game launched.

there should be a central, safe zone area where both factions can mingle. it breeds a better sense of community and competition. we should be able to talk to the other faction freely through whispers, mails, etc. guilds should be able to be multi-faction if they choose to be.

same faction pvp breeds contempt within your own faction. it completely undermines the idea that we are supposed to be at war with each other. its one of the stupidest decisions i think bioware made with this game; they were clearly copying other games verbatim and stuck a little to closely to the script
I do agree with you.
If Bioware would have consistently separated the factions, that would have been better.
But because they did not, now it is just annoying to keep the inconveniences for no good reason.
All I'm saying is that we might as well make the best out of the current situation.

Macroeconomics
03.19.2013 , 07:42 PM | #4
It's too late now, but given the number of servers, it would have been better if players could only create characters of one faction for each server...

Rincewend
03.19.2013 , 07:55 PM | #5

But don't we have same faction pvp with the gree area on ilum, Tatooine, and on servers like JC where rebuplic outnumber the empire if they could not have WZ's vs other republics there would not be any. I am not trying to troll I just thought it was apart of the game already. I remember at launch the WZ were faction based (you never played vs your own faction but they patched because of population problems otherwise we would of had no Wz's).

I would of liked it better if the factions ment something but in the current state of the game it does not seem like it.

ArchangelLBC
03.19.2013 , 10:28 PM | #6
I agree with cash except I feel that huttball should be mixed faction. If the teams are REALLY drawn at random, they should reflect that =P

Otherwise cash is right.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Arlanon
03.19.2013 , 10:52 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn

a thousand times this. it's one of the reasons i hate the new ilum. i dont want to go there fighting my own faction and making my would-be friends hate me

they have an opportunity to do it your way with hutt cartel. have one central hutt cartel city which both factions make their base of operations, with quarters for each specifically. then get rid of this free for all pvp crap and put in some real open world pvp areas that are cross faction only and allow companions.

disallowing companions in pvp areas is dumb. the entire point of companions is that they make up for your shortcomings as a trinity class, and as filler for teams that aren't a full 4 members. it's not like companions are op. my full augmented war hero jaesa duelled a full war hero player and only got him down 25% before he beat her.

i hope ilum 2.0 isnt a sign of things to come. what bioware thinks pvp needs, is not what pvp needs

DarthSabreth
03.19.2013 , 11:29 PM | #8

there would be no need for same faction pvp if BW would just alow cross server pvp ques
"I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new Empire!" Rip .

Totaltrash
03.19.2013 , 11:51 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
It's too late now, but given the number of servers, it would have been better if players could only create characters of one faction for each server...
Yup, that's true. I would have liked if BW kept the factions truly separate.

At launch, I felt like "Imp-for-Life" but now I don't really care which faction I'm playing, got friends on both sides, and sometimes I even forget which side I'm on.

Well, since we can't turn the clock back, OP's idea about mixed warzones isn't a bad one. It would probably help to even things out and would make it easier for rated teams to get going, especially since I don't think we will see cross-server pvp anytime soon, if ever.

At least whisper, mail, and friends lists should cross factions to make everyone's life a little easier.

Diopter
03.19.2013 , 11:55 PM | #10
The safe zone was supposed to be Nar Shaddaa, which is where the neutral GTN was as well. I admit that I was tired of Huttball after Huttball after Huttball because the opposite faction was essentially done for the night, leaving us with the same faction against each other. I still don't like facing my faction in warzones, but I suppose it's better than waiting for a half an hour ... just to play Huttball against my own faction. I also don't think that one should be able to play as both factions on the same server.

I understand what you are getting at, though I don't agree since there is a very clear line between the factions, and it would not make sense, in my opinion, to have them team up for anything.

...except maybe bounty hunters and smugglers. Why they are attuned to a specific faction and not a criminal organization other than for the class stories is beyond me.
Diopter
SWG:Shadowfire - SWTOR:The Bastion
Forever Smuggling