Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why isn't there a WZ quitters cooldown?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why isn't there a WZ quitters cooldown?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ForsakenKing's Avatar


ForsakenKing
03.27.2013 , 09:43 AM | #281
Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
Hey Gang,
All of that being said, I do think the Civil War Warzone specifically has some issues that really shines a bright light on reasons people would leave. Inherently, CW is the Warzone that has the hardest time for a team to come from behind and that leads to a higher percentage of players to give up once they feel like the game is lost (and that feeling can occur very early into a game). My team and I are working to try to come with some solutions to this CW issue specifically, to see if we can improve the general Warzone itself and fight some of this problem at the root cause instead of the effect.
I havent been more excited about a dev post in a while. I cant wait to see what yall come up with. removal of the side speeders would probably be a good band-aid, and at least make it different for a bit, but I dont think it would work as a permanent solution on its own.

SuperGrunt's Avatar


SuperGrunt
03.27.2013 , 09:46 AM | #282
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Bad players ruin the unranked experience, not premades. My main is a Commando dude, I don't roflstomp anything.

I'd rather have whiners quit, without any penalty, than to ruin the experience for everyone by sabotaging a match.
Of course, b/c you stated in one of your prior posts that you are one of those quitters.

If you can't understand that a group that is more coordinated is not stronger and at a great advantage over a group of PUGs. Seriously think that logic through. Half the group (if not more) on voice chat, and able to easier strategize is going to win. If you are in a Pre-made, then you are the cause of PUGs losing and leaving.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it. twitch.tv/otawo

DarkSaberMaster's Avatar


DarkSaberMaster
03.27.2013 , 09:49 AM | #283
Lol. People are still posting even after the devs said nothing is going to happen? Lol. This is too funny.
Daage: (Serenity Shadow) Daege: (AP Powertech)
The Harbinger Thanks for killing Engineer Snipers, Devs
Referral link for free stuff

Dawncatcher's Avatar


Dawncatcher
03.27.2013 , 09:52 AM | #284
Quote: Originally Posted by SuperGrunt View Post
Of course, b/c you stated in one of your prior posts that you are one of those quitters.

If you can't understand that a group that is more coordinated is not stronger and at a great advantage over a group of PUGs. Seriously think that logic through. Half the group (if not more) on voice chat, and able to easier strategize is going to win. If you are in a Pre-made, then you are the cause of PUGs losing and leaving.
Wait, what? First you say a few minutes debuff (5 tops) isn't sufficient penalty for taking care of one's children, and now you blame pre-mades for people's lack of resolve? Inconsistent much? Or leaving because you can't stand to lose is fine, but taking care of one's kids is not?

If you're facing a pre-made on Ventrilo or whatever, consider it a lesson learned on why you should make your own pre-made with Ventrilo or whatever. Observe their tactics. Learn from the best. Or, you know, don't, if you don't want to, but don't expect to improve, and don't expect kinder treatment than those who are willing to take on pre-mades just so long as their kids aren't yelling for help.

SuperGrunt's Avatar


SuperGrunt
03.27.2013 , 09:57 AM | #285
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawncatcher View Post
Of course you wouldn't care about the debuff if your family needed you. Anyone who would care is probably suffering from gaming addiction.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...s-apart/nNGCh/

Neither would I. But if the debuff was half an hour or an hour or longer, just because my family needed a couple minutes of my time, I would not care to the point that I wouldn't bother doing warzones. And then I would stop subscribing, since being able to do more than 3 warzones a week is the sole point of my subscription. And then Bioware wouldn't see any more money from me. I could go back to another game with big open map PvP and no debuffs what-so-ever if you go AFK, log out, or only play with one hand because the other is holding the phone.

Any debuff longer than about 5 minutes *tops* (but preferably closer to one or two minutes) would only serve to encourage the sort of addictive behavior that causes some families to tear apart over gaming, and will lose Bioware business from non-addicted family people.
Don't bring this "game addiction" fallacy into the discussion. You don't inject the game into your arm, or drink it, or smoke it. You play it, just like you watch TV. Are you going to claim that watching TV is an addiction too next?

It needs to have a 30 minute length to have any meaning. If you feel that is too long, than maybe you should schedule you game/WZ playing to be a time where you won't be disturbed. I do this already. When I come home from School, I finish my homework if I have any, then I spend some time playing, after that I spend time with my kids, and later on I will play some more when they are getting ready for bed. Granted I do have a co-operative co-parent but if you have family needs then you should see to those first before sitting down to play a game when you are the only adult at home, and no that isn't a game addiction that is irresponsibility.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it. twitch.tv/otawo

SuperGrunt's Avatar


SuperGrunt
03.27.2013 , 10:06 AM | #286
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawncatcher View Post
Wait, what? First you say a few minutes debuff (5 tops) isn't sufficient penalty for taking care of one's children, and now you blame pre-mades for people's lack of resolve? Inconsistent much? Or leaving because you can't stand to lose is fine, but taking care of one's kids is not?

If you're facing a pre-made on Ventrilo or whatever, consider it a lesson learned on why you should make your own pre-made with Ventrilo or whatever. Observe their tactics. Learn from the best. Or, you know, don't, if you don't want to, but don't expect to improve, and don't expect kinder treatment than those who are willing to take on pre-mades just so long as their kids aren't yelling for help.
Actually I didn't post any amount of time prior to your post, as a matter of fact the first one where I mention a time was the post after yours, thanks for reading my mind, now stay out of it.

You aren't the "best" because you need a Pre-made with voice chat to ROFLstomp some pugs in Recruit armor, then you are just a loser who can't win without some kind of an advantage. I have been in plenty of PUG WZs (which I always solo queue for) where we (not gonna lie sometimes it was in no small part due to me) won against all odds. But to say that because some people are exploiting the lack of insight on the part of the dev team to not allow such a huge communication & coordination disparity to exist which grants one side such a huge advantage, and an almost certain win, means that I should also exploit said lack of insight is as intelligent as saying that because it's in the game means that it is ok to do.

But regardless you are taking this thread off track by trying to argue with me about Pre-mades. So please stop doing so and get back on topic.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it. twitch.tv/otawo

Dawncatcher's Avatar


Dawncatcher
03.27.2013 , 10:11 AM | #287
Quote: Originally Posted by SuperGrunt View Post
Don't bring this "game addiction" fallacy into the discussion. You don't inject the game into your arm, or drink it, or smoke it. You play it, just like you watch TV. Are you going to claim that watching TV is an addiction too next?

It needs to have a 30 minute length to have any meaning. If you feel that is too long, than maybe you should schedule you game/WZ playing to be a time where you won't be disturbed. I do this already. When I come home from School, I finish my homework if I have any, then I spend some time playing, after that I spend time with my kids, and later on I will play some more when they are getting ready for bed. Granted I do have a co-operative co-parent but if you have family needs then you should see to those first before sitting down to play a game when you are the only adult at home, and no that isn't a game addiction that is irresponsibility.
Just because it isn't a chemical addiction doesn't mean it can't be addictive in a habit-forming way. Gambling doesn't involve chemicals, but who hasn't heard stories of people who lost everything and drove their family into backruptcy because they didn't know when to stop? Gaming can also be addictive, and my recommendation to anyone who thinks they may be suffering from it is to quit cold turkey. Not that they'll likely listen to me until they realize it for themselves.

30 minutes gives it too much meaning to someone who may be on the verge of addiction, and would make it pointless for people who take their families seriously to even bother joining the queue. Not everyone has times when there is no chance of being disturbed. Some kids are too young to go to school; other times, it's not even a kid, but an elderly or disabled family member. Even if you play at 2 AM in the morning, you can still get interrupted by kids with nightmares or middle of the night medical problems.

Bioware needs to cater to a diverse customer base, including those with lives outside the internet, and not pander to people who can't stand to lose because some stranger on the internet had to take care of family matters. If losing bothers you so much, make a full pre-made full of people who meet your standards. If you don't make a pre-made, it's your own fault you got grouped with random unknown people who aren't as good or reliable as you want them to be. But let people just queuing solo enjoy their casual fun.

SuperGrunt's Avatar


SuperGrunt
03.27.2013 , 10:21 AM | #288
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawncatcher View Post
Just because it isn't a chemical addiction doesn't mean it can't be addictive in a habit-forming way. Gambling doesn't involve chemicals, but who hasn't heard stories of people who lost everything and drove their family into backruptcy because they didn't know when to stop? Gaming can also be addictive, and my recommendation to anyone who thinks they may be suffering from it is to quit cold turkey. Not that they'll likely listen to me until they realize it for themselves.

30 minutes gives it too much meaning to someone who may be on the verge of addiction, and would make it pointless for people who take their families seriously to even bother joining the queue. Not everyone has times when there is no chance of being disturbed. Some kids are too young to go to school; other times, it's not even a kid, but an elderly or disabled family member. Even if you play at 2 AM in the morning, you can still get interrupted by kids with nightmares or middle of the night medical problems.

Bioware needs to cater to a diverse customer base, including those with lives outside the internet, and not pander to people who can't stand to lose because some stranger on the internet had to take care of family matters. If losing bothers you so much, make a full pre-made full of people who meet your standards. If you don't make a pre-made, it's your own fault you got grouped with random unknown people who aren't as good or reliable as you want them to be. But let people just queuing solo enjoy their casual fun.
Listen the debuff wouldn't prevent you from playing the darn game, only prevent you from queueing for another WZ. It's a standard in other games, with bigger PVP teams, why is it such a hard concept here where the disparity of one person leaving is so detrimental?

If you are so set that this 30 minutes debuff from queueing for one small aspect of this game would be so detrimental to you, then maybe you are the one who should consider stopping cold turkey because it's not that big a deal to find something else to do for 30 minutes. As I stated in an earlier post, it should start counting down immediately.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it. twitch.tv/otawo

Ycoga's Avatar


Ycoga
03.27.2013 , 10:21 AM | #289
Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
Hey Gang,

I would just like to pop in here and offer some of our perspective on this topic. A lot of good points on both sides have been thrown around here, and extending our current vote kick penalty (or something similar to it) to players who opt to leave the Warzone is definitely something that we discuss. However, at this time we feel like the negative consequences of putting in such a system (such as hurting players who crash out of a Warzone) don't overcome the potential gain. With healthy Warzone queues, players will backfill into a game relatively quickly (side note: we are receptive to the complaints that you can get back filled into a really terrible position, that is something I want to try to address), and even if we prevented people from requeueing that doesn't necessarily stop them from leaving or going AFK at a point.

All of that being said, I do think the Civil War Warzone specifically has some issues that really shines a bright light on reasons people would leave. Inherently, CW is the Warzone that has the hardest time for a team to come from behind and that leads to a higher percentage of players to give up once they feel like the game is lost (and that feeling can occur very early into a game). My team and I are working to try to come with some solutions to this CW issue specifically, to see if we can improve the general Warzone itself and fight some of this problem at the root cause instead of the effect.
Why should puggers that solo queued stick around in a match where they are being pounded by a full premade, and then still get punished by a WZ cd timer!

lmfao.

'Hey, you didnt stick around to be fully raped, have a penalty'.

The chances of winning against a co-ordinated team are as low as coming back in a ACW match!
'Pre-2.0 PvP... The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasnít fun for the majority of players' - Alex Modny

SuperGrunt's Avatar


SuperGrunt
03.27.2013 , 10:26 AM | #290
Quote: Originally Posted by Ycoga View Post
Why should puggers that solo queued stick around in a match where they are being pounded by a full premade, and then still get punished by a WZ cd timer!

lmfao.

'Hey, you didnt stick around to be fully raped, have a penalty'.
Exactly why I say that groups shouldn't be included in the same queue as PUGs at all. But still running into a Pre-made isn't a 100% chance to lose. It is a much greater % though then would otherwise be possible, but still a good skilled team that plays smart can over come a Pre-made.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it. twitch.tv/otawo