Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why isn't there a WZ quitters cooldown?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why isn't there a WZ quitters cooldown?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Caeliux
03.25.2013 , 01:44 PM | #211
Quote: Originally Posted by TridusSWTOR View Post

After reading this thread, the bold part is the biggest factor in play.

From a business stand point, people not wanting to participate in a area of your game should raise concern.
Why aren't they interested?
How do we keep them interested?
How do we make it more interesting for first timers?

These are the questions Bioware has to ask themselves in order for players to get involved in certain aspects of the game. One thing stands true, you are paying Bioware for a service. That service is in competition with a lot of other companies that will offer similar services. So the goal has to be making your service the better choice for entertainment purposes, after all it's a game.

Adding a deserter debuff just inconveniences a player. Any other paying services, something like this wouldn't fly with a customer. Go to a restaurant and order a steak rare, but it comes back well cooked. Chances are you will send it back and not have the waiter tell you "lol excuses".

Inconvenience a customer that is paying with their money? They'll take their business else where, simple as that.
Alot of good points here.

+1

RobHinkle
03.26.2013 , 07:50 AM | #212 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey Gang,

I would just like to pop in here and offer some of our perspective on this topic. A lot of good points on both sides have been thrown around here, and extending our current vote kick penalty (or something similar to it) to players who opt to leave the Warzone is definitely something that we discuss. However, at this time we feel like the negative consequences of putting in such a system (such as hurting players who crash out of a Warzone) don't overcome the potential gain. With healthy Warzone queues, players will backfill into a game relatively quickly (side note: we are receptive to the complaints that you can get back filled into a really terrible position, that is something I want to try to address), and even if we prevented people from requeueing that doesn't necessarily stop them from leaving or going AFK at a point.

All of that being said, I do think the Civil War Warzone specifically has some issues that really shines a bright light on reasons people would leave. Inherently, CW is the Warzone that has the hardest time for a team to come from behind and that leads to a higher percentage of players to give up once they feel like the game is lost (and that feeling can occur very early into a game). My team and I are working to try to come with some solutions to this CW issue specifically, to see if we can improve the general Warzone itself and fight some of this problem at the root cause instead of the effect.
Rob Hinkle | Senior Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

TonyDragonflame
03.26.2013 , 09:49 AM | #213
Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
My team and I are working to try to come with some solutions to this CW issue specifically, to see if we can improve the general Warzone itself and fight some of this problem at the root cause instead of the effect.
Just remove side speeders, and CW will be fine.
May the Force be with you!
Vigilance vr 100 | Scrapper vr 91 | Focus vr 91 | Assault vr 88 | Infiltration v 82 | Sharpshooter v 73
Manhunter 110+k killed imps | TRE | ToFN

Atramar
03.26.2013 , 09:56 AM | #214
Damn, CW is my next to favorite WZ right after huttsballs and right before Novare...
No matter which char...
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

Never_Hesitate
03.26.2013 , 09:57 AM | #215
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
Please don't
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa, LeoniŽ PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

Caeliux
03.26.2013 , 10:15 AM | #216
Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post
Hey Gang,

I would just like to pop in here and offer some of our perspective on this topic. A lot of good points on both sides have been thrown around here, and extending our current vote kick penalty (or something similar to it) to players who opt to leave the Warzone is definitely something that we discuss. However, at this time we feel like the negative consequences of putting in such a system (such as hurting players who crash out of a Warzone) don't overcome the potential gain. With healthy Warzone queues, players will backfill into a game relatively quickly (side note: we are receptive to the complaints that you can get back filled into a really terrible position, that is something I want to try to address), and even if we prevented people from requeueing that doesn't necessarily stop them from leaving or going AFK at a point.

All of that being said, I do think the Civil War Warzone specifically has some issues that really shines a bright light on reasons people would leave. Inherently, CW is the Warzone that has the hardest time for a team to come from behind and that leads to a higher percentage of players to give up once they feel like the game is lost (and that feeling can occur very early into a game). My team and I are working to try to come with some solutions to this CW issue specifically, to see if we can improve the general Warzone itself and fight some of this problem at the root cause instead of the effect.
For starters thank you so much for commenting on this thread, its the first time i have seen anyone from your team doing that.

It looks to me you see what I see and it feels good that you do. Civil war isn't the only warzone people don't apply themselves too, Nova Coast and Void Star people leave them like its no tomorrow. And your right backfill ends of filling into a spot where there is almost no chance, I can't stress how unfun it is geting into already in session games where people cant hack it and quit and there is no chance to win.

As you well know all my points only lead to a deserter buff, I really don't see any other option, I understand you think there is no gain from it and the subs and ftp players will be cry like a lost child over it, but I do think some rules would help the matter as well.

Ty Bioware for the comment, you did make my day and I do hope you consider a deserter buff option, I am telling you some rules for leaving would help this game.

Ridickilis
03.26.2013 , 10:33 AM | #217
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
The side speeders are fine (when people actually use them ).

Fixing CW could be a simple fix like changing the scoring mechanic to match Novare Coast.

scraycroft
03.26.2013 , 10:37 AM | #218
Quote: Originally Posted by Ridickilis View Post
The side speeders are fine (when people actually use them ).

Fixing CW could be a simple fix like changing the scoring mechanic to match Novare Coast.
This.
Malystriz PuffinStuff
The Bastion
Quote: Originally Posted by ChewyYui View Post
They added alacrity to the gear so you can taunt things faster and accuracy is there so the fast taunts don't miss, fly off and taunt a tree or something.

MoSam
03.26.2013 , 11:00 AM | #219
A clear no to this idea, at the current state of the game, from my point of view.

Been in a warzone with 3 lolshashers today 1. jump - smash 2. jump - smash 3. jump - smash, and people dropping dead left and right.

On our server, the ranked pvp teams have come to an agreement by now that if any ranked team they face brings in a smasher, they opposing team immediately quit the warzone as a full team, and the guilds/team name is mentioned to the other teams, which in term shall lead to the smasher team being isolated as everyone will quit and refuse to play them till they remove the smasher.

Frankly, i don't see why these people getting punished by a quitter lockout for getting a working solution to have good ranked warzone matches where BioWare refuses to adress and acknowledge the issue they patched into the game.

I am not generally against a quitters cooldown, but as long as the pvp part of this game is neglected as a side effect of the pve game, and worse, mistakes are not even addressed (after all, Jugs/guardians and Maras/sentinels were fine before BW decided to buff focus/rage skyhigh, why not roll it back to its previous state and revisit the buff tills its working properly?), i don't see that.

Give pvp the attention it deserves, balance it, for heavens sake implement a matchmaking system, and then rightfully lock people who quit from warzone...But in that order, imo, not the other way round

Atramar
03.26.2013 , 11:07 AM | #220
Yes, please, yes, to the idea of vote kicking people who screw around
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013