Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Having other toons as companions

01.13.2014 , 11:41 AM | #51
Another issue would be leveling. A companion is just set to the same level as your main toon. If you are using alts as companions, obviously you would want to use the level of your alt. But that presents other issues:
1) You would be able to stack your "group" with way over powered characters for a given quest.
2) You you would be able to level more than one of your toons at a time with the xp from the mobs.

I guess you could make your alts the same level as your toon, and not give them any xp or loot for the duration that you are using them as a companion. Wouldn't be quite as useful, but it would reduce the possibility of abuse.

And what if you are doing quests that your alt also needs? Seems to make sense that both toons can get credit for the quest so that you don't have to do it again for each toon, but I see that being abused too. Suddenly everyone would be running around with 3 alts everywhere they go to avoid the work / time for leveling each toon.

So it seems like there are two ways to do this:
1) Take your alts as companions as-is. This lets you use the your alts with their full level and gear but creates a situation where you can stack your group with way over powered companions. This opens the door to abuse by allowing players to blow through content like no body's business. You would also need to lock the ability to transfer bound items. It would probably also be necessary to lock XP gain for your companion alt to avoid abuse of people dragging 3 alts with them to level them all at once to power level them.

2) Make an alt companion that has none of the alts gear and is the same level as your main. This removes the possibility of abuse of OP groups and leveling multiple toons at once, but restricts your ability to gear your alt-companion as you would be able to with a regular companion.

VIP Lounge Member

01.13.2014 , 11:46 AM | #52
Great idea.

programming wise, it would be easier than you think.
a simple clone of your current toon that you want as companion
gear would be bolstered to your level if it wasn't equal, and de-bolstered if geared more than.

animations could simply be used from existing animations of companions, and characters

voices could be borrowed from stock, and re scrambled with an editor. for example all the fem voices
for fem companion, and same for male, that have been already recorded. so, lets say, borrow fem voice
of female body style 3 of sith inquistitor for your fem body style 3 companion, re edit, with a few lightside, and darkside comments, call up voice actors for any extra dialogues.

use the slot system to add the companion, to any of your characters, and cartel market to pay for it.

bioware adds new content, and gains money, and we get a new option.
" Seek Your Destiny "
Blastfield - Guildmaster of Dark Ops
The Harbinger Server - Sith - PVE
Join Us at:

01.19.2014 , 08:06 PM | #53
--->Huge Stronghold Suggestion Thread (Locations, Decos, features, etc.)<---
--->Repeatable Companion Conversation Instance<---
I would kindly appreciate your support if you click on my Referal Link. You'll also be rewarded with 7 days of sub.

01.20.2014 , 12:39 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by -Slaughterhouse- View Post
Great idea.

programming wise, it would be easier than you think..
No, it would very difficult. Current companions have exactly one quickbar worth of combat abilites and those are set in stone. Player characters have at least three times that number of abilities. Every advance class with any combination of skill tree points would have to be programmed specifically for which abilities to use and when. And we haven't even got into resource management. Current companions have no energy/force/ammo.

The amount of work needed would be immense and no doubt buggy. If they got it working, the companion would be very OP.

Or is the idea to just have a your alt there with extremely dumbed down combat mechanics? Even so, that would still be a lot of work. There'd have to be a new set of abilities per advanced class at a minimum. Even ignoring skill trees, what about roles (healing, tank, dps)? Would it be simplified to the point where you just pick a stance?

Plus the idea would undermine the whole companion system. They've put all this work into making companions with their own stories, backgrounds that work into the class story, personalities and every combat role needed.

Not that it couldn't be cool, but let's get real. I can't see them ever doing this.

01.20.2014 , 06:50 PM | #55
The idea of alts for companions would work if Bioware takes iconic class skills and prioritizes them into 1 companion bar OR gives users the option to prioritize the abilities they'd like their alt/comp to use. All it takes is a "Legacy Companion" tab to be built into the Legacy menu with a tree of abilities that you could drag & drop onto an ability bar.

03.13.2014 , 01:48 AM | #56
--->Huge Stronghold Suggestion Thread (Locations, Decos, features, etc.)<---
--->Repeatable Companion Conversation Instance<---
I would kindly appreciate your support if you click on my Referal Link. You'll also be rewarded with 7 days of sub.

03.13.2014 , 10:00 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Pietrastor View Post
Even if they wouldn't be able to fight and act nothing more than as 'pets' it would be cool. Would love to be able to show my alts when I'm playing on my main.
As a pets(not a combat pet) it sounds cool.
As a companion is brings few problems like they where already mentioned ''game story needs required companion''.
A hero should be restriced that they start at a lv1, gains level while you do (no special abilities from a except wich other companions are sharing already ..depends at a type you choose her/him to be). Ofcourse you cannot play with that character because it would be levelling two differend at a same time.

02.11.2015 , 07:19 AM | #58
I want to see this happen as well!
"That was pretty interesting. But dropping a war Ship on me is cheating! Take it back!"
--ID from Xenogears

05.08.2015 , 12:53 AM | #59
If we could at least have a feature to build-your-own companion, then we would be at liberty to make new companions or simply pattern them after alternate characters we have. Overall, I'd like it if we had more of a say in our companions. (Other than just hair/eye/skin color.)