Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Legacy surnames do not make sense

Arodin
12.20.2011 , 04:15 PM | #1
I haven't been a fan of the Legacy surnames since they announced it, and now the more I think about it, the more I think it's a terrible idea for several reasons.

1) It doesn't make sense that your character "earns" his surname. What does Joe Smith do in life to earn the privilege of using the name Smith? Nothing. It's his name, and he has it from birth. There's no explanation for why characters suddenly earn their surname 30 levels into the story.

2) There's no reason for the Legacy surname to be a unique name. The only reason to have unique names is to be able to identify player characters on the server. We already have that with the characters' first names. Creating a unique identifying first name, and then 30 levels later creating a unique identifying second name is redundant. There's no logical reason why surnames have to be unique when first names are already unique.

4) There's no reason why all of my characters on the server should have the same last name. If I create a human Bounty Hunter and then Twi'lek Jedi Knight, why would they have the same last name? It doesn't make sense, and there's no reason for it.

5) Creating your character's name is a big deal for many people. Having a name that you like is important. In all MMOs, we have to create a unique name for our characters at character creation. Sometimes after a day or two, a player may decide that naming her character "Funnybunny" was not a great idea after all. It's not a big deal since it's a low-level character, she can just delete it and start over. If however we choose a Legacy surname we later decide was a bad idea, we're screwed. The character is level 30 now, so deleting and start over isn't a fair option. And we're not only stuck with it on this character, but every future character we make on that server. Granted, it would be my own fault for making up a dumb name, but still it's not a good system if it can put people in that position. I've seen posts in the New User help forum from people with this very problem. I think it's going to generate many tickets to GMs requesting to reset the name so it can be changed to something better.

These complaints and more came up during the beta (for the few days testers had to respond to this system when it was sprung up at the last minute). The idea of a Legacy system that gives you incentives and bonuses for creating new characters after leveling one is a good idea, but this implementation of surnames is illogical, will create problems for people, is bad for RP, and it should be changed.

I suggest the following changes should be made:

1a) Let us create a surname at character creation.
1b) OR if we can only create a surname at level 30, let us change it if we want to, to avoid being "stuck" if we made a mistake.
2) Make surnames not unique, meaning two or more players can have characters with the same surname.
3) Allow us to make different surnames for each of our characters on the server.

MKanter
12.20.2011 , 04:21 PM | #2
Surnames are at 30.

/endthread

qqemokitty
12.20.2011 , 04:24 PM | #3
Thanks for shedding light on this system for me - I didn't know all your characters got the same surname! That knowledge will definitely affect my thoughts on it leading up to the time when I get to decide, heh.

I agree with all yours points, except maybe the first. I like the idea of earning a surname. That is actually the origin of surnames in English, is it not?

John Smith was John Smith because he is a Smithy. As was his father and his grandfather before him, and the ancestor that began the surname earned it by being a blacksmith.

Or something. :P
Let them see what is not there, and feel what does not touch them.
When they no longer trust their senses... that is the time to strike.

Arodin
12.20.2011 , 04:42 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MKanter View Post
Surnames are at 30.

/endthread
Edited OP, but that doesn't change anything.

Stoicraven
12.20.2011 , 04:43 PM | #5
The Legacy SYSTEM (keyword SYSTEM) is not JUST (keywords not JUST) a surname. Bioware has said this over and over and over and over and over and over again.

lunabaguna
12.20.2011 , 04:45 PM | #6
I know I strive for realism in a game where I can shoot lightning from my fingers.

Arodin
12.20.2011 , 04:47 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
I agree with all yours points, except maybe the first. I like the idea of earning a surname. That is actually the origin of surnames in English, is it not?
That's fine, but then if surnames are earned at level 30 it should be possible to change it... maybe for a limited time and/or for a price in credits. That point is not that important to me, though. If they just changed it so that the surnames do not have to be unique, and are not shared on all characters, I'd be happy.

Wager
12.20.2011 , 04:48 PM | #8
I get that you don't like it.

It's an entirely different way of telling your saga. It makes all of your characters on the server as part of the same saga.

I understand that this isn't how you envision the best player experience, but it is the player experience that the people who designed the game envisioned. You're allowed to be dissatisfied with their vision.

But what you want to play and what you've chosen to play are two different games.
Join our guild at KorribanCouncil.com - Because the Jedi Order needs more order, and less Jedi
Squadron 1020 / Squadron 367 / Turkey Squadron

Arodin
12.20.2011 , 04:49 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Stoicraven View Post
The Legacy SYSTEM (keyword SYSTEM) is not JUST (keywords not JUST) a surname. Bioware has said this over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Like I said in the OP, the idea of a Legacy system that gives you incentives and bonuses for creating new characters is a good idea. I just don't like the way they have implemented surnames with it.

Ermystead
02.20.2012 , 03:34 PM | #10
Personally, I don't really mind.

I'm one of those....

Un-creative

Un-Imaginitive

Dull

Minded players, that don't trek beyond there sense of enclosure. So, due to this, ONLY play Humans. Fair enough, I sometimes play Sith as a SW. But, Legacy does not bother me, as If I pick a human surname, it will be relevant for nearly all my characters.

Bio aren't going to change it, so lets just deal with it!
I got those moobs like Jabba...