Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A thought (pvp)

Raazmir
03.18.2013 , 07:24 PM | #1
So, this is kind of half inspired by Melyn's sALTerday things and I thought i'd throw the idea out to get kicked around and/or down a bit. There's always a lot of griping about clueless people in warzones, i'd be lying if i said i didnt grit my teeth about it on occasion myself (despite sometimes being clueless myself).

If an audience could be drummed up, would there be interest from some of the more veteran and successful pvpers in having a kind of "pvp workshop" in ilum? It would basically have to spread via word of mouth since you cant count on lots of new people stumbling across it on the forums, and I'd imagine the % of people who are honeybadgers about the whole thing is pretty high, but I feel like the community could benefit from some cross discussion on basic warzone strategies, the reasoning behind them, speccing, gearing and education about classes other than their own with demonstrations.

We could basically have a focus on a warzone and a class/spec combo each time we did it.
Mk'dermott 55 Sniper
Makkant 55 powertech

Aikon
03.18.2013 , 08:15 PM | #2
This is a good idea. I recall offering to group with new PvP'ers before F2P hit to "show them the ropes", but only spammed it on Pub fleet. I'm still willing help out any Pubs with getting the hang of WZs if any are interested.
Tell me... How can there be Peace without Emotion? How can there be Knowledge without Ignorance?
How can there be Serenity without Passion? And how can there be Death without the Force?
Aikon - Guardian - Tron - Juggernaut

EFSoupy
03.18.2013 , 11:45 PM | #3
Aikon, I'll take you up on those PvP lessons.

As for the lessons though, I like the idea of a PvP clinic on Ilum, but I think it would also be a good idea to get some video guides put together. On Ilum you can teach certain skills like 1v1, healing, peeling, and so on, but I think strategy is best taught in the context of the match. Things like the importance of peeling, how to read the map to predict a mismatch or watching health bars to see where needs help that hasn't been called.
The other thing I think works well, or is at least how I learned a lot, is from the really good players. I learned some very valuable lessons in my early days of PvP from the likes of Melyn, Flux and Desii. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in PvP who just don't listen to anyone, but hopefully we can get some people learning.
Azucena- Vanguard (Shield/Assault), Moco - Scoundrel (Sawbones), Chapulin - Shadow (Kinetic/ Infiltration), Cagafuego - Commando (Gunnery)
<The Eternal Guardians>
Begeren Colony

JenseitsvonBose
03.19.2013 , 12:32 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by EFSoupy View Post
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in PvP who just don't listen to anyone, but hopefully we can get some people learning.
I don't mean to be a downer, but my experience with this sort of thing is that the people who want to learn, do, while your breath will be wasted on the people who want nothing to do with hearing that they're not the best player they could be. There're two basic types: players who will respond to criticism by asking themselves if it's true, testing the advice, and so on, and players who'll verbally / textfully glad-hand you while ignoring everything you say. Sad, but that seems to be the way of things.

Personally, I'd still welcome videos w commentary from great pvp'ers :P
Jenseitsvonbose | Gunsmoke | Mcroyal
Shortbus - Resident Tendon Blaster - "What's a CC?"

hulcalan
03.19.2013 , 02:18 AM | #5
Mk'

this is pretty much how we are recruiting ppl... the core of my guild, all be it, we are small, but how we work is we train and pass around ideas. when we have the new guys or even the prospects we try to change their minds on how they do pvp and show them the way we do pvp.

So, I really think it would be great to have a server wide thing, but it would really fall on deaf ears unfortunately. But, I do honestly think if you are a hardcore pvp'er that you should find that knowledge with a decent pvp guild or not even that but a person in your respective guild should be able to organize or even have a healthy conversation within your guild.

I know how Revenge does business is a little different where we are little more personal and one on one with our pvp'ers and have discussions until they get it or they don't. Sadly, some people just don't get it. If you or some people wanna hangout with us in vent or something let me know we're cool people that are good at being objective and helping out ^_^
<Vicious><Shots Fired>
Herro-Kitteh Hello-KittehCheezeburger
Ghostface-killaNightcrawler

bsbrad
03.19.2013 , 10:08 AM | #6
Maybe I will finally get people peeling off of me when I am healing.......n'ah.

I think some of the PUG players think I like 4 lightsabers in my face at all times from the 2 sentinels that have decided to man mark me the entire WZ. At least it keeps me on my toes

On topic, this sounds like a great idea and if done correctly on Ilum you could setup matches, i.e. 2 v 1, 3 v 2, teach people to not group up to be smashbomber fodder etc....

Raazmir
03.19.2013 , 03:21 PM | #7
So i totally understand and agree that there are a lot of people who wouldn't buy into it, wouldn't change anything about their spec, gear or playstyle and would just generally be jerks about the whole thing. I just don't believe those are the people who would stop hanging out in fleet long enough to fly to ilum and be a wet blanket there.

The benefit of being there in a large group as opposed to vent includes being able to demonstrate abilities and describe them to people unfamiliar with particular classes.

I do appreciate the offer hulc and may take you up on it at some point but I'm going to keep trying to drum up support for this for a while longer. I think the server as a whole would benefit if we can pull it off.
Mk'dermott 55 Sniper
Makkant 55 powertech

Rylorn
03.27.2013 , 07:39 PM | #8
I'm willing to speak if anyone was interested to listen.
A long time ago in an MMO far,
far away. . .

Approxy Reftach [Illegal Test Kitchen] The Bastion

Riggz
03.28.2013 , 03:29 PM | #9
The way I look at it is no matter who you are or how good you are, there is still much to learn
Urdnought Level 55 Operative
Urdonught Level 55 Scoundrel
<GRIM DETERMINATION>
<INFAMOUS>

xContex
03.28.2013 , 04:32 PM | #10
I could help people out if they wanted to listen =P
Scyn Azadeh Inspra
The Sovereign Legacy