Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Update 2 - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Update 2 - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Costello
03.18.2013 , 02:04 PM | #31
This seems a crazy amount of information for something like a change of login.

Is the current login so bad that all this work is really required, we have a game that needs serious work and a community that want to know whats going on. Wouldn't it be far better to spend all this time and effort in to making the game better and talking to the community.

Palar
03.18.2013 , 02:05 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
Okay, but getting serious for a second, we are pretty sure he is pulling all the duck references from the phrase "have your ducks in a row," right? Where else could it be coming from?
Maybe, but it seems there's just one yellow duck hogging the mic...

This is why I shouldn't be awake at 5am - stupid work and it's stupid early starts. Time to waddle off and... something something mallard.

Tatile
03.18.2013 , 02:07 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
Computer lore is always fun, and that was adorable. It's not dissimilar from reading stories out loud to make sure they make sense, so that's probably where Mr. Phillip_BW is coming from.

Thanks for the link

Jacen_Starsolo
03.18.2013 , 02:20 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Do you know where Security Keys are for sale in the EU and/or generally outside of the US? As far as I'm aware, Security Keys are not currently for sale outside of the US.

Perhaps Mr. Philip_BW could help with this?
Do you have a smart phone? There's an app version too. I used it before I got the CE.

Tatile
03.18.2013 , 02:40 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen_Starsolo View Post
Do you have a smart phone? There's an app version too. I used it before I got the CE.
No, but I already have the security key. However, the question is relevant anyway, regardless.

ChewyYui
03.18.2013 , 02:44 PM | #36
I'm not sure who this "MrYellowDuck" is, but he's a moron!
The Progenitor - The Alteric Legacy - Kira-chan

Aelrail
03.18.2013 , 03:04 PM | #37
@Phillip_BW

I got to say I love how you are able to explain in simple terms complex IT security concepts and practices.

There has been so many clueless posts and non sense suggestions of IT security practices in this forums by ppl who think they know better than the people that actually work on IT security.

If I were you, I would have probably strangled to death all the ducks in frustration while reading some of the post in these threads.

Keep up the good work man!
Bounty Hunter Rakshak - Shield Tech - 55
Sith Warrior Jorxen - Carnage - 55
Imperial SoulTakers Guild - Jedi Covenant server (US East)
CE Owner

IcyBergals
03.18.2013 , 03:19 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post

Is the current login so bad that all this work is really required, we have a game that needs serious work and a community that want to know whats going on. Wouldn't it be far better to spend all this time and effort in to making the game better and talking to the community.
It's a crazy amount of information because there have been a crazy number of questions asked about the topic. A couple of weeks ago Phillip_BW answered 15-20 questions from a thread with 40 pages concerning "flaws" in the new security system. He's helping the community who wants to know what is going on, but that's not his job.

Phillip_BW was hired to do security work for the game. He's always been interested in security systems, how to break in, how to keep them safe, and went to school to learn how to keep information from spreading to the wrong people. He's knows a lot more about computer security than you or I, as evidenced by his recent forum posts, and since the things he is saying seem to be true so I trust him. Like he said in his post, he wouldn't excel at other aspects of the game, producing a product that isn't up to the standards you have for SWTOR. But if you let him work on the security he will exceed your standards and you won't even know it.

On the other hand, maybe this whole securuity changeover is so Philip can have a better system to steal everyone's passwords and infect your computers with keyloggers. Hey, BW, you have someone looking over Phillip's shoulders at all times, right?

Andryah
03.18.2013 , 03:26 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post

You are disregarding the mass hysteria week before last when they posted this was coming. Where do you think he got all the MrDuck questions and hyperbole from?... this very forum.

You are also disregarding people like yourself... ie: people who will always find an angle of attack on any topic that a Bioware staff member might present.

Please to note: The team that develops in game content =/= the team that manages and maintains account security (out of game, or in game).
I'm back..... in advance of KotFE.

Andryah
03.18.2013 , 03:28 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by ChewyYui View Post
I'm not sure who this "MrYellowDuck" is, but he's a moron!
He is a random_proto_player waiting to pounce on every comment by a Bioware staff member with a quack-quack here... and a peck-peck there. It is a species known as Quackasaurus Rex, which likes to prey on innocent creatures on the forum and endlessly distract the local wildlife by making much roaring and gnashing over anything and everything.

I must say however that Phillip pwned him, plucked his feathers, and said duck is ready to be served.
I'm back..... in advance of KotFE.