Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Asuka
03.19.2013 , 02:36 PM | #211
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

I wanted to give you all an update on this now that I have all of the information in place.

First, we are not considering this an exploit so anyone who had fear of action being taken against their characters, etc, should not be afraid. We will not be doing anything to players who used the Ilum pylons to get to 50.

I will say that player ingenuity never ceases to amaze us all. This was not a part of the intended design of the Gree event running simultaneous to the Double XP Weekends. Due to this, we are going to be having a maintenance later this week to deploy a fix to this issue.

I wanted to talk a bit about the fix itself since it will mix up things on Ilum temporarily. Our immediate fix to this issue is that for the time being, we are going to disable bolster on Ilum. This will have a couple of different affects.
  • Low level characters will no longer be treated as level 50 in regards to experience. They will now have the normal experience penalties associated to grouping with a player of a higher level. Meaning those players will now gain little to no experience when grouped.
  • Players who are levels 45-49 will have a slightly harder time completing some Gree event quests as they are no longer bolstered to level 50.
I want to again reiterate that this is only a temporary solution. We are continuing to investigate the issue and intend to have a more permanent solution in place before the Gree event returns.

-eric
Let's call a spade a spade. Common sense would tell anyone that abusing an unintended game mechanic is an exploit and instead of letting people get away with it for 3 days, BioWare should have "fixed it" during the weekend and not let people get away with it and then do nothing about it because code monkeys failed to "anticipate" it. How does outthinking developers justify exploiting an unintended mechanic which you stated was unintended. I remember Stephen Reid espousing how BioWare takes the EULA & integrity of the game seriously etc...but apparently taking advantage of developer fail makes exploiting alright.

Urael
03.19.2013 , 02:37 PM | #212
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
No, this is the definition of an exploit:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/exploit

verb (used with object)
1. to utilize, especially for profit; turn to practical account: to exploit a business opportunity.
2. to use selfishly for one's own ends: employers who exploit their workers.
3. to advance or further through exploitation; promote: He exploited his new movie through a series of guest appearances.

Truth of the matter is, for it to be a gaming exploit, you have to have two things: Explicit rule stating it and actually knowing you are breaking said explicit rule.

For it to be an actual abuse of the game, they would have had to spell out that only level 45 and up were allowed on Ilum. Or even better, as someone above me noted, just disallow anyone under level 45 onto Ilum. Really simple.

It would have had to be known to all that this behavior was disallowed. Now, it is. I'm sure there will still be a powerleveling group out on Ilum tonight, saying "it's going to be patched soon, get it while you can"...but I won't be taking part if so.

It's no longer deabtable as of now, going forward: It's been stated as an un-intended result and its pending patching. Ergo, continuing to do so NOW is exploiting, cheating, or whatever you want to call it.
I see your definition and raise you the following:

Quote:
An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.[1] It is often colloquially abbreviated sploit. Exploits have never been classified as a form of cheating; however, the precise determination of what is or is not considered an exploit can be controversial. This debate stems from a number of factors but typically involves the argument that the issues are part of the game and require no changes or external programs to take advantage of them.[2]
Meh so it's wiki but, I think it is the definition that many have in mind when one considers what an exploit is in relation to a game.

Arkerus
03.19.2013 , 02:39 PM | #213
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
So, wait. What you're saying is that this is not considered an exploit for anyone who already did it, but you're going to fix it so that no one else can. That seems like a contradiction to me, Eric.

If it's not an exploit, leave it alone. If it is, fix it and take action against the players that used it.

That's not how the real world works. It is an exploit in their eyes but not punishable. You see, here in the real world we all make judgement calls on whether something warrants further action or not.

In this case it is an exploit but one which will not be followed by a punishment.

Stop asking for black and white definitions on everything. You sound like those school principals who put 1st graders on suspensions for kissing.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Arkerus
03.19.2013 , 02:41 PM | #214
Quote: Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Let's call a spade a spade. Common sense would tell anyone that abusing an unintended game mechanic is an exploit and instead of letting people get away with it for 3 days, BioWare should have "fixed it" during the weekend and not let people get away with it and then do nothing about it because code monkeys failed to "anticipate" it. How does outthinking developers justify exploiting an unintended mechanic which you stated was unintended. I remember Stephen Reid espousing how BioWare takes the EULA & integrity of the game seriously etc...but apparently taking advantage of developer fail makes exploiting alright.
Oh come on. Calm down. This is their decision to patch it now. If you don't like it, tough.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Blackavaar
03.19.2013 , 02:44 PM | #215
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
That's not how the real world works. It is an exploit in their eyes but not punishable. You see, here in the real world we all make judgement calls on whether something warrants further action or not.

In this case it is an exploit but one which will not be followed by a punishment.

Stop asking for black and white definitions on everything. You sound like those school principals who put 1st graders on suspensions for kissing.
Dude, CoH had a number of similar situations to this in their tenure. They were called "exploits" then. They fixed them, ran through their files to determine who used it and on which characters and rolled back those characters to their pre-exploit levels. In some cases accounts were suspended and yes, even banned.

That's the right way to handle the use of this kind of exploit.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

TUXs
03.19.2013 , 02:46 PM | #216
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Dude, CoH had a number of similar situations to this in their tenure. They were called "exploits" then. They fixed them, ran through their files to determine who used it and on which characters and rolled back those characters to their pre-exploit levels. In some cases accounts were suspended and yes, even banned.

That's the right way to handle the use of this kind of exploit.

This isn't COD. It was a development oversight. Stop acting like they kicked ur dog.

3rd time...what do you do when you encounter a yellow light while driving? Do you make a judgement? Or am I assuming too much about ur age?
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 free transfer/7-day sub/Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Ratajack
03.19.2013 , 02:47 PM | #217
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post

I would be much happier if they expressed it in exactly that manner. Let them call it an exploit, and make it very clear that while this particular exploit will not be actionable, further "creative use" of in game mechanics, in this or any other situation, may lead to actions against accounts.

Ratajack
03.19.2013 , 02:50 PM | #218
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
This isn't COD. It was a development oversight. Stop acting like they kicked ur dog.

3rd time...what do you do when you encounter a yellow light while driving? Do you make a judgement? Or am I assuming too much about ur age?
At a yellow light, I slow down and stop. Are you the type who mashes the gas pedal and if the light turns red before you get there, as long as no cop saw it, you did nothing wrong.

TUXs
03.19.2013 , 02:51 PM | #219
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
At a yellow light, I slow down and stop. Are you the type who mashes the gas pedal and if the light turns red before you get there, as long as no cop saw it, you did nothing wrong.
I don't care what you do, I was asking Mr. Black and white.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 free transfer/7-day sub/Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Blackavaar
03.19.2013 , 02:51 PM | #220
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post

Stop trying to incite me to insults. It will not work.

Yellow means slow down and prepare to stop. I slow down and prepare to stop. It's not a judgement call. The fact that you consider it an option to speed up and try to make it before the light turns is not the proper way to drive and whomever taught you to do so was wrong.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]