Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Blackavaar
03.19.2013 , 02:22 PM | #201
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
No they don't lol. Who are you to make any such demand?! Get over it.
Once again, no.

I am a player of the game entitled to as much right to complain about the game as you are to praise it.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Ciry
03.19.2013 , 02:23 PM | #202
There is a difference between an exploit and emergent game play. Ilum xp was a case of the latter. Using large complex interwoven game mechanics is the designed way but in an unexpected manner.

BadOrb
03.19.2013 , 02:24 PM | #203
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I don't want everyone to get too caught up here on my vocabulary. I simply meant we do not consider it an exploit in that it is not severe to the point that we will be actioning accounts/characters for it.

Players got creative in a way we did not originally intend, but we do not want to punish you for it. However, we also did not intend for it to be that way so we are making a temporary change to address it until we can get a more permanent solution in place.
Hi Eric , well you could just make it so that you have to be level 45+ for the Ilum bolster ? Anyways I'm glad you have thought of a quick fix for this weekends double xp weekend.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

chuixupu
03.19.2013 , 02:25 PM | #204
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
No. BioWare needs to grow some cajones and do it the right way or not at all.

An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.

I agree. Good thing that people using double XP from mob grinding doesn't all in to that category.

But they also reserve the right to decide that people shouldn't be able to do that in a particular zone during a limited time event if they want to.

Life has complications sometimes, deal with it.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

islander
03.19.2013 , 02:26 PM | #205
If it's an exploit they should say it, fix it and roll back accounts on which is was used.

If it's not an exploit they should leave it alone so that others can enjoy the fruits of this "creative" approach.

It's one or the other, not a little of each.

And BTW, they did not intend it is the very definition of an exploit.
No, this is the definition of an exploit:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/exploit

verb (used with object)
1. to utilize, especially for profit; turn to practical account: to exploit a business opportunity.
2. to use selfishly for one's own ends: employers who exploit their workers.
3. to advance or further through exploitation; promote: He exploited his new movie through a series of guest appearances.

Truth of the matter is, for it to be a gaming exploit, you have to have two things: Explicit rule stating it and actually knowing you are breaking said explicit rule.

For it to be an actual abuse of the game, they would have had to spell out that only level 45 and up were allowed on Ilum. Or even better, as someone above me noted, just disallow anyone under level 45 onto Ilum. Really simple.

It would have had to be known to all that this behavior was disallowed. Now, it is. I'm sure there will still be a powerleveling group out on Ilum tonight, saying "it's going to be patched soon, get it while you can"...but I won't be taking part if so.

It's no longer deabtable as of now, going forward: It's been stated as an un-intended result and its pending patching. Ergo, continuing to do so NOW is exploiting, cheating, or whatever you want to call it.
Ǵllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Levity
03.19.2013 , 02:26 PM | #206
No. BioWare needs to grow some cajones and do it the right way or not at all.

An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.

It is an exploit, but the amount of people who did it would mean they would probably need to just rollback everyone. Better to just stop it and let it go then rolling back your entire subscriber base. However, they should let it be known that it is an exploit instead of candy coating it lol. It's not that big of a deal as duping items or speed hacking, so no biggie.

LarryRow
03.19.2013 , 02:27 PM | #207
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
edit: A public apology to Urael. I disagree with him, but do not mean in any way to offend him
Yes. He has totally pegged the opposing viewpoint.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

MillionsKNives
03.19.2013 , 02:28 PM | #208
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Define "advantage". It could be argued that some are at an advantage from one point of view. The point is not this specific case, it is going forward. It goes to consistancy in judgement and punishment and it goes to the n00bness (yes I said it) of EA running MMORPGs and not fully understanding it's playerbase, our language, or what we expect as far as a steward in the company that runs the games we play to act as a mediator in our disputes. Weak statements par for the course ( not you TUX but EA ).
Everything in context. Saying that they have to react the same way to every single thing that happens ignores that every single case is different. Should the guy that flies to Ilum at level 10, looks around and picks up a couple lockboxes along the way, before going back to coruscant get banned? How about a person who camps at the chests on Ilum at level 10 collecting them every single time they appear for hours and days on end?

They both took advantage of something unintended by the developers, but one would likely get banned and not the other.

TUXs
03.19.2013 , 02:31 PM | #209
Once again, no.

I am a player of the game entitled to as much right to complain about the game as you are to praise it.
...huh?!

I am most certainly NOT praising this decision of theirs. I think it's the worst possible solution they could have come up with. I WISH they'd have said it was "unintended", but they'd let it continue for the length of the event, or better yet, leave it as it is forever. I LOVE the Bolster for lower level toons.

But it was not an exploit and Eric doesn't need to be badgered by a few players to say it was.

Again, what do you do at a yellow light?
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Blackavaar
03.19.2013 , 02:35 PM | #210
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
I agree. Good thing that people using double XP from mob grinding doesn't all in to that category.

But they also reserve the right to decide that people shouldn't be able to do that in a particular zone during a limited time event if they want to.

Life has complications sometimes, deal with it.
Note the etc.. This was an exploit.

And again, no.

Some people didn't find out about this "creative method" of using the system until the weekend was over. Some people might want to use this "creativity" to level their own characters, but those people will be stopped from doing so while others that already did so will not be punished in any way.

Sorry, but that's not the right way to do things when it comes to stuff like this.

Thank you very much.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]