Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kapono
03.19.2013 , 01:38 PM | #161
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
But, I also understand that not everyone does. Maybe they've already done all 8 stories. Maybe they're just tired of leveling?
I'm tired of re-grinding the generic planet quest content.

I wish they'd add something to legacy to increase quest storyline xp by 1000% - that would make me happy as a pig in ****.

TUXs
03.19.2013 , 01:38 PM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Nah, they're correcting *their* oversight. One that really didn't cause any grief to anyone, anyway. If they were actively seeking to grief people in some way, then they should be punished. Leveling in this game isn't a race, it doesn't earn you any accolades by getting there faster. I've seen Blizzard respond to situations of the same ilk by simply removing the mechanic many times over the years as well.

This is like if the vending machine at the office malfunctioned and dispensed two chip packages for the price of 1 for a while. Most likely they'd just fix it, not try to track down every person who got two bags of chips, make them pay for it and fire them.
Well said and a great analogy. As Eric even mentioned, the creativity of the tens of thousands of players, will never be matched by a group of developers. They didn't intend this, but it's far from harmful or impactful.
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

EricMusco
03.19.2013 , 01:38 PM | #163 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin View Post
So just to be clear...intentionally using ingame mechanics in a way not intended by the devs, to gain personal advantage - is not considered sploiting then? Good to know.
I don't want everyone to get too caught up here on my vocabulary. I simply meant we do not consider it an exploit in that it is not severe to the point that we will be actioning accounts/characters for it.

Players got creative in a way we did not originally intend, but we do not want to punish you for it. However, we also did not intend for it to be that way so we are making a temporary change to address it until we can get a more permanent solution in place.
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

TUXs
03.19.2013 , 01:39 PM | #164
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Agreed. It's either and exploit or its not. Not "both" as in what EA is choosing to do to "band aid" fix this hole. Unintended results should have been "reported via in game ticket" to alert EA that is was happening in the first place and not wait "days" after to come up with this decission. EA looks weak here. There should be roll backs if it was behavior that was not intented. Otherwise leave it in the game until Makeb comes out. EA should want as many "happy" "customers" to be ready for their expansion.

So Eric, you really need to reverse what you said. Either leave it in the game or take it out and punish those that exploitted the hole since you admitted that it was not intended and by definition with your pronouncement and exploit. Infernixx didn't "get it" he restated and parrotted what you said that is all.
No lol. It's an oversight, not an exploit.
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force

DarthBuckets
03.19.2013 , 01:40 PM | #165
Thank your for the official response, and a good solution.

TUXs
03.19.2013 , 01:40 PM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I don't want everyone to get too caught up here on my vocabulary. I simply meant we do not consider it an exploit in that it is not severe to the point that we will be actioning accounts/characters for it.
They all understand Eric, they just want to hear you say the "E" word so they can say they were right and others were wrong. Don't worry about the trolls pretending to read into your words.

Infernixx
03.19.2013 , 01:42 PM | #167

Players got creative in a way we did not originally intend, but we do not want to punish you for it. However, we also did not intend for it to be that way so we are making a temporary change to address it until we can get a more permanent solution in place.
This is what people on forums do. They nit-pick at vocabulary, playing 'rules lawyers', ignoring the intent of the message and focus on the wording of the message instead.
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

islander
03.19.2013 , 01:42 PM | #168
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
This stuff about level 1s going to Ilum. The Priority Transport Black Hole has a requirement of level 50, and that's the only one I've heard about for this alleged exploit. Is there another way that people are supposedly getting a level 1 to Ilum?
buy it from the cartel market. no level requirement that way. Another oversight by the crack QA staff at BEAware
Gμllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

TrillOG-
03.19.2013 , 01:45 PM | #169
Lame that they're fixing this. I hadn't gotten to try it out, and really wanted to get my Guardian to 50. Really didn't wanna have to grind more considering I've gotten my Merc, and Assassin to 50 in the past 2 weeks.

steave
03.19.2013 , 01:46 PM | #170
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin View Post
So just to be clear...intentionally using ingame mechanics in a way not intended by the devs, to gain personal advantage - is not considered sploiting then? Good to know.
It may or may not be. Game developers generally encourage their players to find new inventive ways to play their games, and in the same way that it's not an exploit to play <insert current OP class/spec here>, which the devs did obviously not intend to be OP, many other things they did not intend aren't exploits either.
There are some things that are just pure no-nos and obvious exploiting (item duping, creating items out of nothing, making a server crash etc etc etc...), but then there's also other mechanics such as this one that can go either way - either the devs didn't intend for it to happen but feel it's still a cool feature so they keep it, or they realize it's bad game design and change it. Depending on the severity of it, they'll then either declare it as an exploit (warning everyone that anyone that does it from now on will be punished), or if it was very serious (lets say being able to farm a few billion credits/hour on a level 1 char) they'll take action retroactively. If the bug/feature only affects the player using it, it will almost always end up in one of the 3 first categories, never resulting in retroactive punishment.

In this case, there was a special event combined with a bolster system. It would be pretty easy to think that the bolster system was set there and allowed to boost everyone regardless of their level in order for them to be able to participate in the event, and killing mobs is a perfectly legitimate way to level. Most don't use that as a primary route since it takes too long, but it's still 100% allowed.

This is just how MMOs work.