Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Taminy
03.19.2013 , 01:01 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
A loophole is a legitimate un-intended consequence. This is the perfect word for what happened.

I'm also glad I at least got a few levels out of it last night. I guess we can do it tonight as well. Better something then nothing.
So is an exploit.

Straight from wiki (yeah not the best source, but I don't think dictionary.com's definition of exploit is going to apply to video games all that well):

An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers

By that definition, Ilum was clearly an EXPLOIT.

Infernixx
03.19.2013 , 01:02 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
Translation: not pissing people off who give us money is more important than integrity.
Integrity doesn't keep the servers on and the code monkeys paid.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

Levity
03.19.2013 , 01:03 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by iimagiicii View Post
I don't like this, I missed the double xp weekend grind and was looking forward to it this weekend.
You can get 20 lvls in a day easy. Wahhhhhh I won't be able to sit on my butt for 10 hours.

Sorei
03.19.2013 , 01:03 PM | #124
Not trying to judge on this particular issue but people are always creative and inventive when it comes to finding new exploits and using them. That doesn't make it any less of an exploit.

There surely is much room for arguments on this one. To me also this one is an exploit no matter how creative people are.

It just feels like you are trying to avoid to upset all the players who have leveled using this method.

LarryRow
03.19.2013 , 01:03 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
Integrity doesn't keep the servers on and the code monkeys paid.
Gotta love short term thinking.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

Infernixx
03.19.2013 , 01:05 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorei View Post
Not trying to judge on this particular issue but people are always creative and inventive when it comes to finding new exploits and using them. That doesn't make it any less of an exploit.

There surely is much room for arguments on this one. To me also this one is an exploit no matter how creative people are.

It just feels like you are trying to avoid to upset all the players who have leveled using this method.
They're looking for a way to address the issue without punishing people who simply out-thought the developers.

You don't treat customers badly simply because 'you' missed something. Well, you can, but it's bad business.
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

Infernixx
03.19.2013 , 01:07 PM | #127
Gotta love short term thinking.
In a few weeks, this entire issue will be forgotten.

Had they gone another route and punished the players for using this side-step, then that animosity, anger and resentment at the punishment would have lingered far longer than your irritation at having someone else side-step the leveling process entirely.

chuixupu
03.19.2013 , 01:10 PM | #128
Translation: not pissing people off who give us money is more important than integrity.
Not everyone who was doing this pays them money.

So you really think people who leveled fast should have action taken against their account? Who did they hurt other than themselves? What integrity do they keep when they made a mistake in the game design and punish the players for it?
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Sorei
03.19.2013 , 01:11 PM | #129
They're looking for a way to address the issue without punishing people who simply out-thought the developers.

You don't treat customers badly simply because 'you' missed something. Well, you can, but it's bad business.
People are always out-thinking the developers also in terms of exploits. Doesn't make them any less of an exploit and exploits are bad for the game in general. Personally, I think that powerleveling in an unintented and such enormously quick way also hurts the game. There are people who think otherwise but this is my opinion.

Out-thinking the developers doesn't justify exploits in any way (generally speaking).

I know they don't take actions because it would be bad for their business but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Because I don't.

LarryRow
03.19.2013 , 01:12 PM | #130
In a few weeks, this entire issue will be forgotten.

Had they gone another route and punished the players for using this side-step, then that animosity, anger and resentment at the punishment would have lingered far longer than your irritation at having someone else side-step the leveling process entirely.
Animosity, anger and resentment from people who knew they were probably exploiting, and shouldn't be surprised. Long term, they will deal and the devs get to not be a hypocrites.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.