Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sad. that i think Mercs gonna get nerft

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Bounty Hunter > Mercenary
Sad. that i think Mercs gonna get nerft

DarthScottsman
12.20.2011 , 04:05 PM | #1
Dont get me wrong i have a lvl 35 merc. Love tha class. However...... I am dps spec and i Healed all the way through to tat. Yes including Flashpoints. soooooo. i was like man im a ******. untill i realize were prolly gettin nurfed.
CE VIP.....EGA-Day 1 Wave 1.

Phroste
12.20.2011 , 04:51 PM | #2
Easy to fix that...increase the heat costs of all heal skills, and then put a talent deep enough in the heal tree that offsets that cost....that way only heal spec'd BH's can actually serve the role as a healer.

Kaissanova
12.20.2011 , 05:20 PM | #3
no, the early flahpoints are supposed to be easier to get people accustomed to it. I'm sure you're going to have trouble healing the flashpoints at your level with a full dps spec.

Ironeyes
12.21.2011 , 08:27 AM | #4
Every game that has a heal / dps hybrid class is able to heal low level instances as dps. That's the way things have always been because you just don't have the tools to do it otherwise. It doesn't mean that its OP.
I tried to heal that 4 player heroic on Nar Shaddah (the one where you kill the Jedi's) as aresnal and we got rolled. I think part of it was my group didn't use proper CC and maybe with a good group and a powerful tank we may have been able to clear it but it would have been tremendously difficult.
I just didn't have the tools to keep everyone up. Higher level healing is going to need a full time healer. Our heals at 20+ if you are dps suck.

ZaOniTenshu
12.21.2011 , 08:31 AM | #5
I could see some things possibly getting nerfed but healing wont be one of them
Cableguy: Merc. Bounty Hunter[Mind Trick Server]

Vaedyn
12.21.2011 , 09:33 AM | #6
Up to the point I am (20s), there's very little differentiation between roles. Talents are relatively weak, so in truth, there is not that much difference between a dps and healer merc. A healer merc can dps ok, a dps merc can still heal fine. Heck, we had a healing merc tank athiss (we ran athiss with 4 healers). I ran the mandalorian raider flashpoint with 3 healers and a tank.

I think this is intentional though, it makes running flashpoints much easier to find a group for when you can slot someone in on an off-role. And its nice not having to heal or dps all the time.

Yphex
12.21.2011 , 09:44 AM | #7
Sorry but the flashpoints are super easy and can be healed by virtually any dps spec, that also can spec into healing.

spicycookie
12.21.2011 , 10:53 AM | #8
For the lower tier flashpoints. Try reaching 50 first before making any solid judgements.

calithon
12.21.2011 , 11:24 AM | #9
You start to see a more defined separation of roles higher up, the first few flashpoints are designed as a get your feet wet.

I'm currently level 43 and there is no way my arsenal spec'd merc could heal well enough in any heroics let alone flashpoints. Trust me you'll see what I mean in a few more levels.

Rabbio
12.21.2011 , 12:25 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ironeyes View Post
Every game that has a heal / dps hybrid class is able to heal low level instances as dps. That's the way things have always been because you just don't have the tools to do it otherwise. It doesn't mean that its OP.
I tried to heal that 4 player heroic on Nar Shaddah (the one where you kill the Jedi's) as aresnal and we got rolled. I think part of it was my group didn't use proper CC and maybe with a good group and a powerful tank we may have been able to clear it but it would have been tremendously difficult.
I just didn't have the tools to keep everyone up. Higher level healing is going to need a full time healer. Our heals at 20+ if you are dps suck.
Looking at what I get from talents at that level, I can agree. I can tell you from the other vantage point (did that quest as a healing merc last night), it was super easy. We 2-man + 1 dps companion'd it, and never came close to having issues. I stopped CCing after the first pull, because even the 5 elite pulls were healable. I never had to even use vent heat, because the healing tools from the bodyguard tree are amazing.

Specifically to the OP's point, it should stop being that way before 50. As has been said in this thread, most games seem to allow dps specs to heal while leveling.