Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sorc + Assassin leveling.

Gabrandt
12.13.2011 , 01:07 PM | #1
Ohai.

So I'm going to be rolling on a roleplaying server with a friend of mine. He's going Assassin, and I'm going Sorceror. The general idea is that we're playing out a master and apprentice kind of thing.

A few things worry me:

At some point, we'll be speccing as a tank/healer setup. At that point, will the gear we need overlap? I think we both will want endurance and willpower, for instance.

Crafting. I'm going Synthweaving with Underworld Trading and Archaeology for gathering. My friend, the tank, would be willing to take a profession which complements mine. So while I can craft armour for the both of us, should he focus on the profession that crafts weapons? Or is there something else that would benefit the two of us more?

Also, at what level would I be expected to having to respecc to be able to heal flashpoints and battlegrounds? I love the feel of the lightning tree, and I believe I'll be able to heal in flashpoints without spending talents into corruption, at least for some time. The question is about what level will I actually have to give up lightning in favour of corruption?

Thank you for reading. <3
The dark side perceives all.

ankhaton
12.13.2011 , 01:18 PM | #2
imo u shoudnt take synt cos gear will come anyway u 2 woud be better of with bio for med packs and stat potions and the other can go for cybertech for upgrading ur armors

cheers

shaclad
12.13.2011 , 01:30 PM | #3
I can answer a few of your questions

1. All classes have had one of the major stats allocated as the most beneficial stats for their class. For Inquisitors that stat is Willpower. Any gear with Willpower will boost both your melee and ranged attack and crit. Also, you will both be wearing Light armor. This means that you will both be competing for gear.

2. The secondary stats on the gear will be what determines who gets what. As a healer/caster, the sorceror will need more Alacrity and Force power. As a tank/melee, the assassin will need more Hit and Surge (and Defense). Any AC can benefit from theese secondary stats in some way, but since Firce power and healing always have 100% Hit, the sorceror is the main exception to this rule.

3. You both use different weapons, so that will not be a concern.

4. You are forgetting about your companions and their roles in combat. As an Inquisitor, you start with a tank companion. This will be your only useful companion for a while. As a healer, the sorceror will do awesome, because you can heal, dps and have your own pocket tank. The assassin on the other hand, will be frustrated having a two tank team, each pull just being a race to see who dies first. Together you will have the two of you, and then have two tanks, and good CC. Once you get your next companion on Tatooine, you will have more options.

5. Your talent spec is completely up to you to just follow your playstyle. There is no cookie cutter spec, so read them all, review them carefully, and choose where you want to go with it. As a sorceror, you will have good dps even when fully spec'd healing, and decent healing even when fully spec'd dps, so play with it and find the happy medium. The assassin also will have decent dps when spec'd tank, and can somewhat tank even if dps. There are obviously huge talent points that give you critical abilities in that role, the higher up the tree the better, but they may not support how you play your character, so experiment.

6. Customize your gear whenever possible. Have different mods available if you change roles. You can swap out the mods in your gear if your role changes, and you can remove mods from gear once they are installed. Use this to your advantage if you plan on filling multiple roles.

Edit: thank you for the Wisdom/Willpower call out you chuckleheads
Working on your strengths makes you stronger,
Working on your weaknesses makes you invincible.

Hemotosis
12.13.2011 , 02:47 PM | #4
so i should dump all my Willpower gear and look for Wisdom?
From the shadows....

Kogarvandalin
12.13.2011 , 06:00 PM | #5
Don't worry about having 2 tank companions.

You won't be seeing much of them, as you will be sending them off on missions none stop.

midnitewolf
12.13.2011 , 06:04 PM | #6
Willpower is the main stat, not Wisdom. Nobody is wise in this game apparently

Gabrandt
12.13.2011 , 07:17 PM | #7
Thank you for all your answers. ^_^

So it seems we will be overlapping a lot, gearwise. I say that is only MORE reason to take up crafting professions!

Is Synthweaving really that bad?

Gabrandt
12.13.2011 , 07:45 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by shaclad View Post
5. Your talent spec is completely up to you to just follow your playstyle. There is no cookie cutter spec, so read them all, review them carefully, and choose where you want to go with it. As a sorceror, you will have good dps even when fully spec'd healing, and decent healing even when fully spec'd dps, so play with it and find the happy medium. ... There are obviously huge talent points that give you critical abilities in that role, the higher up the tree the better, but they may not support how you play your character, so experiment.
About the bolded part!

I've reached the conclusion that this specc is the right one for me, at least on paper:

http://db.darthhater.com/talents/sit...fecfef3ef5e6f:

However, I can not decide whether Innervate is good enough a tool in my healing arsenal to sacrifice Wrath for. Do you have any advice on this front? x)

DarthHendo
12.13.2011 , 07:48 PM | #9
If you are going to be healing end game, i highly recommend you take the healing talents available. You can always level as DPS, then respec to healing. The talent tree you posted above screams FAIL to me.

Gabrandt
12.13.2011 , 07:51 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthHendo View Post
If you are going to be healing end game, i highly recommend you take the healing talents available. You can always level as DPS, then respec to healing. The talent tree you posted above screams FAIL to me.
Your post, while perhaps meant to be read in a positive light, is not helpful at all. Could you tell me what parts you dislike? Some of those healing talents do not seem that useful to me, at least not on paper.