Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Gear crafting is truly dead

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Gear crafting is truly dead

JamieKirby's Avatar


JamieKirby
03.23.2013 , 06:02 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
@JamieKirby, Interesting. I guess this is the source of the issues you've had with crafters?

Let me first say that you are correct, those are vastly inflated prices for level 11 armoring, mods and enhancements. I would never buy those mods, and I also wouldn't sell those level 11 mods at those prices.

But let me also say that new players aren't the intended public for blue mods at that level.

You see, when you first hit Coruscant / Dromund Kaas around level 11, the next few levels go very quickly. Like really REALLY quickly. Any sort of investment in blue mods is going to be wasted as you'll out level them in the blink of an eye.

As well, the mobs and bosses you'll be fighting aren't tuned very tightly. In other words, blue level gear is overkill. Over a year ago, when my Sage hit Coruscant, I bought a set of moddable social gear, and filled it with the super cheap greens from the vendor, costing a couple hundred credits. I also used the planetary commendations to purchase the occasional blue armoring/mod as I completed quests. I spent very little cash.

And yet, I had no troubles fighting enemies as long as they were near my level.

Gearing up in FULL blues at level 11 is like renting a Lamborghini to drive to the grocery store for milk. It's 100% luxury and completely unneeded. The players that are likely to do that are moderately wealthy players who have one (or several) level 50s and are gearing up new alts and mailed them a f**k ton of credits to help them along the way. THIS is the public for whom those blue mods are intended.

Personally, I think it is silly. If I wanted blue-mod-overkill for a level 11 character, I'd craft them myself.

Now, if you feel very strongly that the below level 15 market needs to be overhauled and sell blue gear to new players at a reasonable price, you always have the option to do so yourself.
You do make sense, but this problem occurs throughout the whole leveling bracket and its disappointing that there isn't another avenue to gear up with, considering i am not the crafting type.

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
03.23.2013 , 06:58 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
You do make sense, but this problem occurs throughout the whole leveling bracket and its disappointing that there isn't another avenue to gear up with, considering i am not the crafting type.
For what it's worth, using the planetary commendations to purchase blue armoring and mods is a good way to get gear.

On my first toon I kept trying to purchase gear and was running out of money. On my second toon I exclusively used mission rewards and planetary commendations and was affluent. By the third toon I decided to see what could be done with crafting for myself and went that way.

Recently, I've been too lazy to crafting gear for companions. On my latest toon (SW) I wanted to switch from Vette to Jaesa, as I liked her character more. This was around level 34 or so. I purchased a set of social gear off the vendor for ~2000 credits, and a full set of at-level blue armoring, mods, enhancements and a hilt (complete set) for approximately 250,000 credits.

Expensive, for sure, but considering that crafting that gear requires
68 Titanium
28 Tatooine Flamegems

Along with all the green mats, that's not that bad a price. When running Underworld Trading or Treasure Hunting missions there are so freaking many companion gift missions, that it takes a loooong time to find the missions you need to get those materials. I wouldn't be but a bit surprised that in the time it would take me to run all the missions to get all the necessary materials I could have made over 150k credits merely from running AT LEVEL missions.

So what I paid for was mainly a time-saver.

As well, because blue gear is so powerful, I was able to leave her in that gear for another 6 levels before I felt like she wasn't hitting hard enough and needed some more juice.

Karkais's Avatar


Karkais
03.23.2013 , 11:06 PM | #33
Crafting gear has never been alive.

Quote: Originally Posted by JouerTue View Post
alts are in constant need for mods and stuff..
Yeah, but not GEAR. There is use for armorings, mods, enhancements and the like for alts (and those still sold on the market back when I was still playing), but not unmodifiable gear.
"What is a Sith? Over time, the beliefs have changed, but one constant has remained. The imposition of one's will on the force, on the environment surrounding one, on the galaxy itself." - Darth Wyyrlok III

JamieKirby's Avatar


JamieKirby
03.24.2013 , 02:28 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
Crafting gear has never been alive.


Yeah, but not GEAR. There is use for armorings, mods, enhancements and the like for alts (and those still sold on the market back when I was still playing), but not unmodifiable gear.
You know why that is right? crafters can't really overcharge by much at all, while mods that constantly need updating tend to sell them for vastly over the true value of the item, i know crafters need to make a profit, but damn, its overkill what most tend to charge for things that do not cost that much to craft.

Thermonuked's Avatar


Thermonuked
03.24.2013 , 04:01 AM | #35
i've had issues with the crafting ever since the game launched, and yes, like countless others i have sunk a lot of time and money into crewskills, but as a general rule, it was poorly thought out from the start, and made worse ever since.

take armormech or synth for example, vendor schematics which stopped at level 49, when the game starts with a level cap of 50, rediculous, not to mention the huge gaps in craftable gear while levelling, usually 6 levels between new pieces, no chance of making a complete same level set of anything except custom gear, which wasnt even full sets at the beginning, but atleast we could crit craft things with augment slots, they always sold well, until you could add augments slots to any piece of armour...

ofc, the bonus for these 2 crewskills was the rakata belt and bracers you could make, which was bop, so u couldnt sell them, or even make them for your own alts, but are now not even the best in slot for the crafters little bonus, the armour sets have moved on, the crafters havent, whoever decided what the crafting should be like in SWTOR should be made to wear a pink tutu and pointy dunce hat to work for the remainder of their employment until they get the idea that crafters are just as important as the rest of the players

JamieKirby's Avatar


JamieKirby
03.24.2013 , 08:06 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
For what it's worth, using the planetary commendations to purchase blue armoring and mods is a good way to get gear.

On my first toon I kept trying to purchase gear and was running out of money. On my second toon I exclusively used mission rewards and planetary commendations and was affluent. By the third toon I decided to see what could be done with crafting for myself and went that way.

Recently, I've been too lazy to crafting gear for companions. On my latest toon (SW) I wanted to switch from Vette to Jaesa, as I liked her character more. This was around level 34 or so. I purchased a set of social gear off the vendor for ~2000 credits, and a full set of at-level blue armoring, mods, enhancements and a hilt (complete set) for approximately 250,000 credits.

Expensive, for sure, but considering that crafting that gear requires
68 Titanium
28 Tatooine Flamegems

Along with all the green mats, that's not that bad a price. When running Underworld Trading or Treasure Hunting missions there are so freaking many companion gift missions, that it takes a loooong time to find the missions you need to get those materials. I wouldn't be but a bit surprised that in the time it would take me to run all the missions to get all the necessary materials I could have made over 150k credits merely from running AT LEVEL missions.

So what I paid for was mainly a time-saver.

As well, because blue gear is so powerful, I was able to leave her in that gear for another 6 levels before I felt like she wasn't hitting hard enough and needed some more juice.
I just buy the greens now-a-days, i just don't bother with anything above green, except for the weapons, which can be fully affordable via commendations.

11 per weapon, so thats either 22 or 33 per planet, which is easily do-able, except for Quesh, which will be solveable in 2.0 with the combining of all planetary commendations, though, while right now, there is no limit per week, in 2.0, the limit will be 50 per week, abit too low for leveling, unless its current limit is a PTS thing.

Vishnell's Avatar


Vishnell
03.24.2013 , 03:34 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by -Wes- View Post
Quite true!

I tried selling green and blue level 11 crafted gear for dirt cheap (about 1,500 credits) on the market.

I haven't priced a crafted item yet at $10K or more.
I would like to thank you and all other crafters that put cheap blue level enhancements on the GTN. I regularly buy those up and resell them for over 15k a piece. Just have to know what enhancements sell and which ones don't.

LordExozone's Avatar


LordExozone
03.24.2013 , 05:04 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Vishnell View Post
I would like to thank you and all other crafters that put cheap blue level enhancements on the GTN. I regularly buy those up and resell them for over 15k a piece. Just have to know what enhancements sell and which ones don't.
You can only do that because crafting is dead. There aren't enough low level enhancements being crafted to prevent you from doing exactly that, which would be the case with a healthy crafter-based economy.
Instead, we have a terrible rare-drop/cartel items-based economy.
Kote! Kandosii sa kar'ta, Vode an.
Mandalore a'den mhi, Vode an. Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso'ran kando a tome. Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an.

ekimmak's Avatar


ekimmak
03.24.2013 , 06:33 PM | #39
Well, crafting for profit is certainly dead. Crafting to gear alts is still viable, though.
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

Rincewend's Avatar


Rincewend
03.24.2013 , 07:31 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
Crafting gear has never been alive.


Yeah, but not GEAR. There is use for armorings, mods, enhancements and the like for alts (and those still sold on the market back when I was still playing), but not unmodifiable gear.
It was for that short time when you wanted a aug orange gear you had to crit on crafting it, not use a kit. At that time the orange crafted gear and pvp sets were selling.