Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gear crafting is truly dead

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Gear crafting is truly dead

Khevar
03.19.2013 , 10:37 AM | #21
@JamieKirby, Interesting. I guess this is the source of the issues you've had with crafters?

Let me first say that you are correct, those are vastly inflated prices for level 11 armoring, mods and enhancements. I would never buy those mods, and I also wouldn't sell those level 11 mods at those prices.

But let me also say that new players aren't the intended public for blue mods at that level.

You see, when you first hit Coruscant / Dromund Kaas around level 11, the next few levels go very quickly. Like really REALLY quickly. Any sort of investment in blue mods is going to be wasted as you'll out level them in the blink of an eye.

As well, the mobs and bosses you'll be fighting aren't tuned very tightly. In other words, blue level gear is overkill. Over a year ago, when my Sage hit Coruscant, I bought a set of moddable social gear, and filled it with the super cheap greens from the vendor, costing a couple hundred credits. I also used the planetary commendations to purchase the occasional blue armoring/mod as I completed quests. I spent very little cash.

And yet, I had no troubles fighting enemies as long as they were near my level.

Gearing up in FULL blues at level 11 is like renting a Lamborghini to drive to the grocery store for milk. It's 100% luxury and completely unneeded. The players that are likely to do that are moderately wealthy players who have one (or several) level 50s and are gearing up new alts and mailed them a f**k ton of credits to help them along the way. THIS is the public for whom those blue mods are intended.

Personally, I think it is silly. If I wanted blue-mod-overkill for a level 11 character, I'd craft them myself.

Now, if you feel very strongly that the below level 15 market needs to be overhauled and sell blue gear to new players at a reasonable price, you always have the option to do so yourself.

-Wes-
03.19.2013 , 03:17 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Now, if you feel very strongly that the below level 15 market needs to be overhauled and sell blue gear to new players at a reasonable price, you always have the option to do so yourself.
Quite true!

I tried selling green and blue level 11 crafted gear for dirt cheap (about 1,500 credits) on the market, and it all came back to me even with two-day stints out there. There is no market for the stuff. Rather, I just use it for leveling my craft skill and then reverse engineer all of it. Heck, even the purple gear has a limited market (again, at rock-bottom prices), and it is difficult to come by the artifact-grade materials they use.

I try to keep orange and purple gear out there at very good prices so that people can get it if they want it, but even the orange stuff is getting spotty in terms of whether it will sell, and I haven't priced a crafted item yet at $10K or more.
\~~~~~The von Theissenburg Legacy~~~~~/

Referral Link

JMCH
03.22.2013 , 11:35 AM | #23
Arkanian gear can be RE'ed, which have Adept, Quick Savant and Initiative. I challenge you to find any dps/healer build that won't use any of those three "crappy" enhancements. Also, if BW fixes crit (big if, I know), there's Acute and Battle available.

Everyone needs 3 armorings w/o set bonus. 10 ACs can use 4 armorings w/o set bonus (offhand)

Hard to argue with this. Hope it gets fixed. I'm pretty sure the prices on grade 9 stabs will be out the roof for a while.
1- Yeah, Arkanian could be RE'd too... but that comes from Ops drops only with a limited count each week.

2- Sure, we need 3 "blank" armorings, you just forgot the simple fact 2 of them are for the easiest pieces to acquire (first Ops bosses and elite comms even allow to buy the exact same as Arkanian), the last one being easier to acquire running FPs. With how stupid 10% chance to learn is, no one should even try to RE these armorings (by the time you'll learn the patterns, your guild will be BiS already... that already happen with BH mods RE'ing despite the 20% chance to learn, I spent more than 1000 of my own BH comms just for that and obtained 2 mods and 6 enhancements, do the math).

I should add :
Quote:
Senior Game Balance Designer Jason Attard posted that while we do intend to make reverse engineering more consistent in the future, we do not consider reverse engineering other player’s mods an exploit.
http://www.swtor.com/blog/dev-tracke...ober-19th-2012

What does "more consistent" means for me has to not mean the same thing for others... or was it a lie?

Well, we already had some :
Quote:
Depending on how you choose to specialize, your crew will be able to construct armor, weapons, implants, or other types of useful items and gear.
No doubt why I unsubbed, I'm tired of this kind of "inconsistency" from the dev team on top of countless gamebreaking bugs, strange decisions (level cap increase & trees reworked to top at 55 instead of 50 & stats back to where they were in 1.0?) and extremely stupid marketing communication (sorry, I don't pre-ordrer "5 more levels and a new planet" except if I've some confidence in the team...).

Sanoza
03.22.2013 , 12:27 PM | #24
Ya I do agree that crafting is taking a big hit here. I also agree that it should be on par with raids and also heroics. But what I have seen is the market goes through a fluctuation just like any other MMO. When it dose the crafting gets hit even harder because of greedy people wanting to make a fast credits.

I will say only having one Lvl 50 toon crafting is not cutting it because like everyone has said the stuff you can make is effective. And ya its awesome that they give you some starter gear at that lvl but it still undermines crafting. I personally love crafting its a great way of gear alts and to kill time in queses, or if you are just sitting around talkin to guildies.

It should be a happy medium if you want to craft on par gear then you should be able to or if you want to raid for similar gear then do so or even buy it too.

MasterKraken
03.22.2013 , 12:44 PM | #25
The problem is not that crafting in this game is dead but now with the cartel items you have to choose from 2 very simple options (while you could do both at same time before cartel items): Crafting for money or Crafting for fun. If you want to still doing the same way as before then, you are wasting time and mostly, you will quit it due you'll get frustrated.

If you want to craft for money then you will have a lot of trouble making money now; while full purple gear is best; It can't compare with cartel "beautiful" gear. Now you'll have 2 sides there... Beautiful or Practical gear?.. sorry but most ppls in a SWTOR joined for the fantasy to get a semi-nude slave Leia gear in their toons than have a full purple ugly cover Leia gear.. Specially when you can just buy mods for it and "almost" get that stats. Now you'll still have "costumers" for those purple gear but... it wont be as profitable as before. So better start thinking about which Crafting skills you want to keep for "making money" now.

If you want to craft for Fun.. that's different and you wont quit at all, crafting for alts or guild mates sometimes is fun.

BTW not only "gear" crafters are having that issue but also "weapon" and "vehicles" crafters.
"The object of WAR is not to DIE for your
country BUT to make the other BASTARD DIE for his
"
Empire of the Hand multigaming clan/guild : http://claneoth.enjin.com/swtor "SillY Rabbit, Tricks are for kids"

JMCH
03.22.2013 , 01:01 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterKraken View Post
If you want to craft for Fun.. that's different and you wont quit at all, crafting for alts or guild mates sometimes is fun.
Many out there want to craft to "be able to construct armor, weapons, implants, or other types of useful items and gear". The primary issue is right here...

I truly LOVE to be able to work for others to be more effective, that simply doesn't work with crafting current state and will be even worse if 2.0 goes live as it is now.

Every single patch from the first PTS build onwards pissed me off more than its predecessor and the initial build already was a bad joke. When there's no captain aboard, no one should hope for anything good to happen.

MasterKraken
03.23.2013 , 12:17 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by JMCH View Post
Many out there want to craft to "be able to construct armor, weapons, implants, or other types of useful items and gear". The primary issue is right here....
And you still can, I don't see any difference why you can't still do this... unless is about credits. Again, then re- think what crafting skill are the best now in the market and definitely , you won't make as many credits as you did before.

Quote: Originally Posted by JMCH View Post
I truly LOVE to be able to work for others to be more effective, that simply doesn't work with crafting current state and will be even worse if 2.0 goes live as it is now.
Why it doesn't work? if you truly LOVE to do that just ask for the materials and craft items for them FOR FUN.... i think your main point is just the credits but that won't change my friend because devs DO NOT stop making cartel items just to make some crafters get more profits.
"The object of WAR is not to DIE for your
country BUT to make the other BASTARD DIE for his
"
Empire of the Hand multigaming clan/guild : http://claneoth.enjin.com/swtor "SillY Rabbit, Tricks are for kids"

JMCH
03.23.2013 , 12:33 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterKraken View Post
And you still can, I don't see any difference why you can't still do this... unless is about credits.

Why it doesn't work? if you truly LOVE to do that just ask for the materials and craft items for them FOR FUN.... i think your main point is just the credits.
Such obsession about credits is insane.

Being actually useful to others > credits, and no, that doesn't work with this game's crafting. It improved a bit with ilvl 61/63 stuff, at least for some professions, but then they decide to redo everything on top of a stupid level cap increase (because, really, it's not a "level cap increase", it's 5 more levels to gain for nothing).

Yes, I crafted some lower level stuff, but it's so limited (mainly some bracers, belts, implants and earpieces, either from Investigation or trainer blue schematics RE'd twice) it's a joke.

Crafting for low level toons is totally pointless because you level too fast : the time it takes to collect artefact materials for one piece will be longer than the time it will take for your customer to resell the now outleveled piece to the nearest vendor, which is an issue since premiums are everywhere and prototypes are readily available for comms or in FPs.

Lithaladh
03.23.2013 , 03:47 PM | #29
I don't know about that. While yes, all of the points brought up are valid, in regards to the opening statement of the thread, I find that crafting is not dead. That might be due to my pricing system and the minor detail that I only put of blue, purple or orange stuff up on the GTN though. I noticed that a lot of crafters had (and still) put up green items for high prices. What I like to do is put up, say a purple, for the same price. It is generally sold within the day. Okay, so maybe I severely undercut everybody else, but hey, at least other players are getting quality goods. I plan on doing that with lvl 50 colour crystals when I get the chance. . . put them up for maybe 10k instead of the 25k + that everybody else is selling them at.
For my artificer, colour crystals for the lower lvls (45 and down to about 11) are always snapped up. One time I had put up 4 crystals and within not even 5 min, all 4 were gone, sold. Another time, I had my synthweaver craft about 14 items, put them up and away they went in one day. My fledgling armstech can also make a killing off of crafted stuff. . .people seem to like cheap orange pistols and the rest. Cybertech? People do like to have cheap, blue mods. I don't have much to say about the other crafting skills, but those are the ones I have the most experience with.

Sith-Viscera
03.23.2013 , 05:44 PM | #30
It's a shame that this is your experience.

Personally, I'm thrilled that I've leveled and unlocked so many schematics for so many professions. Having 11 alts, it's helped cross-gear my own characters and their companions.

I also make money selling things from 10-45, as well as some of the higher end gear. In fact, anything I put on the gtn from 10-45 is gone within a day.
I DO THE SAME THING WITH MY 10 ALTS, CROSS CRAFTING, I geared all my companions this way and when i got HK-51 for my lower lvl Alts my Bounty Hunter crafted all the gear and mods well most of the mods for all the HK's....