Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The most easy way to determine if the tank is a bad/dumb one

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
The most easy way to determine if the tank is a bad/dumb one

ErosGyne
03.15.2013 , 10:49 AM | #11
being or not a bad tank has nothing to do with if he puts guard or not, on healers or dps, i run FPs and Ops and sometimes no one gets the guard and we do just fine,no wipes, hell my raid group does EC NiM wihout guards
knowing if he is a good tank or a bad one is to see how we controls the mobs(especially the runaways) and boss
nothing to do with guards

psandak
03.15.2013 , 10:54 AM | #12
By default I guard the healer because they are generally the squishiest and doing their job properly generates a lot of threat. If I find a DPS pulling agro I switch guard. 'nuff said.

JouerTue
03.15.2013 , 10:58 AM | #13
it's not such a problem to change guard while running..if i see someone getting beaten i put it on him..someone would call me a noob, but if you leap on someone and place the guard on him i found he has a lot more survavibility..then healer first to adjust things and if a dps is a pain i guard him..
and rememer that some fight has mobs going specifically on healers

Kawabonga
03.15.2013 , 11:11 AM | #14
I love it how no one here agrees with OP

Guard in FPs go on healers, sir. Roll a tank and play with decent dps (as in people that know what they are doing; that doesn't necessarily mean people with good gear or good damage output) and you will know why.

NuSeC
03.15.2013 , 11:21 AM | #15
I run a hybrid tank when I tank and hold agro very well on my Jugg.
I will guard a healer always at the start...
Someone's gear does not dictate their play ability and skill with an AC.
How about you use the agro dump you have?

Tanks and healers are the 2 hardest roles in this game period.

You know what I hate? A dps pulling first/not using an agro dump then crying about guarding him.

The tanks role is to pull first, control the mob, and protect the GROUP as a whole. If the tank is not doing that.
1) bad tank
2) he is not able to do it because the group is not functioning as it should.
Kinrath Spider -> The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five
>>Get free stuff<< Too many alts to list here! Subscriber from launch!
Grounded-Sorc - Doze-Jugg - Annoy-OP - Catfu-Mara - Gimmik-PT
Howt-Mando - Spammin'rocks-Sage - QQ'On'Forums-GS - Jonatha'n-Guardian - Dumplins-Shadow

Larry_Dallas
03.15.2013 , 11:44 AM | #16
I normally don't guard anybody until after the first pull. Someone overtakes me and I guard that guy. But Marauders, in particular, are not necessarily high DPS.

For one thing, because of their perception as "most OP," the absolute worst players in the game tend to play them. These people won't know rotations or do enough damage to draw threat.

For another, many marauders in GF are focus/rage spec now, which doesn't do a lot of single target comparatively, while tending to one shot the minor trash.

So no, I would not immediately guard a marauder unless I knew him or saw 63 armorings WITH the set bonus in his gear.

DPS Powertechs on the other hand? Those I'll guard before the first pull because even bad players can overtake you if you're not careful.

Eternalnight
03.15.2013 , 11:59 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
the healer because they are generally the squishiest and doing their job properly generates a lot of threat
No, just no.

Healing does not generate a lot of threat. Healing generates very very low amount of threat.

The only thing special about healing threat is that it is divided among all of the mobs you are in combat with while dps and tanks generate threat only on those mobs that they do damage on.

With or without guard, the healer will ALWAYS have aggro on any and all mobs that nobody is doing any damage on.

With or without guard, the healer will NEVER have aggro on anything that somebody else is doing any damage at all on.

Apart from from few boss encounters where normal threat mechanics do not apply, the threat reduction from guard is completely useless if placed on a healer.

Even if it used for the damage reduction only, it is rarely the best option to guard healers, since melee dps are more likely going to suffer more damage in many fights.

Zamppa
03.15.2013 , 12:00 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Kawabonga View Post
I love it how no one here agrees with OP

Guard in FPs go on healers, sir. Roll a tank and play with decent dps (as in people that know what they are doing; that doesn't necessarily mean people with good gear or good damage output) and you will know why.
Don't Choke into your laugh...(Let's see if you get the meaning...choke you know...)

I play half 63-half61-fully augmented marauder and I just happened to notice during the last few months that be it a jugg tank, assassin or powertech, they all have big problems to keep aggro off me when I put up my full dps-numbers. With guard on me the HMs go much more fluently as the healer does not have to concentrate on healing me and the tank but mainly only the tank. I also happen to know rotations and kill orders so the healer does not need to heal himself/herself too much. There are many tanks around who still refuse to give me the guard and I sometimes ever get private whispers after the run from healers like "I wish he would have given you the guard...". When I don't get the guard even after polite explanation I just tune down my dps. The run takes longer but it was purely the tank's choice.

Healers don't need guard in tier 1 HMs if the tank knows how to keep aggro and the 2 dps know the kill orders. Of course there are people who aren't too good in MMOs, newcomers etc when guarding the healer and explaining things is a good thing but when the group is formed from skilled players who claim to know how to play their class putting guard on healer is waisting the guard which makes the healer's work more hard because s/he has to heal the tank and me.
"What can you say - I'm a talented individual"
- Revan to Bastila on Taris

Talorra
03.15.2013 , 03:30 PM | #19
A lot of you have never run with a good Sentinel or Marauder.
M'arik <Intrepid> 16-player Progression The Harbinger
IntrepidOps.com | Live Stream | Recruitment Thread | @Twitter

SturmUndSterne
03.15.2013 , 04:06 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Talorra View Post
A lot of you have never run with a good Sentinel or Marauder.
And I'm a BiS 63s Sentinel. I don't need a guard if I'm doing my job right and using my threat dump on boss fights.

Guard should go on PT/Vanguard DPS first, bad DPS that can't manage aggro second, and overgeared third.