Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The most easy way to determine if the tank is a bad/dumb one

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
The most easy way to determine if the tank is a bad/dumb one

Zamppa
03.15.2013 , 06:55 AM | #1
If the tank automatically puts the guard on the healer even though there are high end geared marauders/sentinels in the group in tier 1 HM FPs s/he is a bad tank. If the tank refuses to give the guard to the said marauder/sentinel even after politely explained there's no need to guard healers in tier 1 HMs and guarding the highest dps(usually mara/sent) makes the FP go faster and easier for everyone the tank is also a dumb one.

I can't even remember when I would have gotten the guard in a PuG HM FP group without asking it first even though I do Daily HMs in PuG almost daily basis. The tank that made me finally to put this little rant online was something pretty awful too: he was not able to use his 23,5k hp jugg tank to keep aggro off from a 19k hp merc healer in Black Talon HM even with the guard on the healer...
"What can you say - I'm a talented individual"
- Revan to Bastila on Taris

Never_Hesitate
03.15.2013 , 07:05 AM | #2
TBH at the start of a fp I will put the guard on the healer as well, as soon as I see which dps creates more aggro I will give it to him (except he's a really dumb one, who targets the wrong mobs etc.)
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa, LeoniŽ PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

bbare
03.15.2013 , 07:25 AM | #3
As an assassin tank, I generally put the guard on a healer. Might as well put the guard on a healer if no one is going to pull threat, which should be the case if you are an assassin. Assassin tanks generate the most threat by a large amount.

Pretty much, I put the guard on whomever I think needs the most amount of damage reduction. That is usually the healer, because we want them to take the least amount of damage as possible, so they don't have to heal themselves as much. If for some reason someone is pulling threat off of me, I'll switch a guard to them. But that should not happen.
The Vanity Legacy

uniz
03.15.2013 , 08:14 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
As an assassin tank, I generally put the guard on a healer. Might as well put the guard on a healer if no one is going to pull threat, which should be the case if you are an assassin. They generate the most threat by a large amount.

Pretty much, I put the guard on whomever I think needs the most amount of damage reduction. That is usually the healer, because we want them to take the least amount of damage as possible, so they don't have to heal themselves as much. If for some reason someone is pulling threat off of me, I'll switch a guard to them. But that should not happen.
well said.

and players wonder with such posts like those from the op why so many tanks queue up in the lfd with their own dps and healers.

schnopsnosn
03.15.2013 , 09:14 AM | #5
As an assassin tank, I generally put the guard on a healer. Might as well put the guard on a healer if no one is going to pull threat, which should be the case if you are an assassin. They generate the most threat by a large amount.

This.
If I could, I'd guard myself...Tanking with an Assassin/Shadow is just so easy aggro-wise...

Never_Hesitate
03.15.2013 , 09:19 AM | #6
And the poor juggernauts guard the dps, if I could, I'd guard everyone of them and jump between them so they loose the aggro.
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,

bbare
03.15.2013 , 09:23 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Never_Hesitate View Post
And the poor juggernauts guard the dps, if I could, I'd guard everyone of them and jump between them so they loose the aggro.
Juggs in 2.0 are going to be aggro machines. They did a good job fixing that. Assassins probably will remain the best for aggro, but Juggs are going to be competitive. I'm not sure about powertechs, but they seem pretty good too. I was running the now obsolete overpowered AP/Pyro spec in operations and our Jugg tank could still hold threat without me even being guarded. I did have to use my new threat drop, though. But its there for that reason.
The Vanity Legacy

LarryRow
03.15.2013 , 10:13 AM | #8
Unless there is a big gear disparity, I guard whomever has the hardest time keeping their aggro down. Vanguards don't get an aggro reducer, so they are top priority. Guardians do get one, but it is crazy expensive, resource wise, so they are number 2. I've heard Sages can be buggy, so they are third. Smugglers (both ACs), Shadows and Commandos are next, followed lastly by Sentinels because their camo is such an awesome threat dropper.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

mastirkal
03.15.2013 , 10:29 AM | #9
Generally speaking, guarding the healers on trash is a better idea if the mob sizes are big and you don't have a ton of AoE DPS/Tank moves like as you would a mercenary, sorc or sin tank. They are going to get agro regardless as their agro table is steady for all enemies in the area, but it makes tearing it back off them easier. Always guard highest DPS for boss fights however as the ability to tear off of you is pretty large if they are left unguarded.

Why this logic isn't followed by everyone or at least most is beyond me.

Never_Hesitate
03.15.2013 , 10:35 AM | #10
Juggs in 2.0 are going to be aggro machines. They did a good job fixing that.
Yes, I know and I love them for doing that
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars: