Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How Safe is SWTOR from Disney?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
How Safe is SWTOR from Disney?

Blackavaar
03.14.2013 , 11:54 AM | #1
Clone Wars: Canceled
Detours: On Hold
1313: On Hold
First Assault: On Hold

Apparently Disney has no problem breaching contracts and forking over some cash to make up for it.
Considering this "cleaning house" attitude going on how safe is SWTOR against the Disney broom?

Could this new push for the CM Packs be a last desperate effort to milk this cow for as much as they can before they are forced to pull the plug? Could the end be so near?

I must admit the storm clouds surrounding us look gloomy.

Any comment, CMs?

Correction: 1313 is currently On Hold but according to starwarsunderworld it may soon be canceled.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

LoneRegulator
03.14.2013 , 11:56 AM | #2
Yeah, first off 1313 isn't cancelled, so where you got that information I couldn't guess.

Second, EA wouldn't let Disney near it's stuff.

jgoldsack
03.14.2013 , 11:56 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
1313: Canceled

Apparently Disney has no problem breaching contracts and forking over some cash to make up for it.
Considering this "cleaning house" attitude going on how safe is SWTOR against the Disney broom?

Could this new push for the CM Packs be a last desperate effort to milk this cow for as much as they can before they are forced to pull the plug? Could the end be so near?

Any comment, CMs?

Clone Wars was cancelled due to another upcoming related series being created. I think SWTOR is safe as long as it keeps making the big money it is.
On the Internet, you can be anything you want. It is strange so many people choose to be stupid.

http://www.swtor.com/r/ycmWN7 <-- link for some free stuff!

Jacen_Starsolo
03.14.2013 , 12:03 PM | #4
1313: Canceled

Any comment, CMs?

I don't know if it's fair to blame it on Disney for the CW cancel. I think they were going to wind it down in another year or two at the most because of timeline issues. The purchase may have pushed it forward but there was never a guaranteed six or seven seasons before the purchase.

And as said above, the people who work on CW will be doing a new series. Probably Disney figured it would give them the easy out instead of moving CW from Cartoon Network to Disney XD.

DarthTHC
03.14.2013 , 12:09 PM | #5
The license probably requires renewal at some point. There may even be an early termination clause.

But since Disney has to do nothing besides deposit a check to keep the money coming in, it seems unlikely they would arbitrarily decide to terminate. The only reason they might do so is if they thought somehow the game were damaging to their reputation of the reputation of the SW franchise.

Sportiva
03.14.2013 , 12:12 PM | #6
Clone Wars was also be broadcasted on competitor's network.

I think SWTOR is safe. And TBH, I think Mickey Mouse ears would have been preferable to the ugly crown that they added to the Cartel Market rep vendor.
Master Jaice Jenod Guardian | Velo Jenx Gunslinger | Master Gira Jenx Sage | Major Jaxen Jenod Vanguard
Saena Jenod Mercenary | Dulymus Jenod Operative | Darth Scoura Assassin | Darth Zetara Marauder

Ohamsie
03.14.2013 , 12:26 PM | #7
What exactly does "on hold" even mean in these cases? Such a vague term.
[THE EBON HAWK] The Groundflyer Legacy
Jedi Sentinel Oham | Sith Sorceror Catalon | Scoundrel Gartrick

Illyean
03.14.2013 , 12:34 PM | #8
Swtor's biggest risk is from ea/bw being too focused on the cm that they miss the fact they will be in the wrong time when the new movies start to arrive and Disney are definitely looking at how to tie in all media with the movies it would be rediculous to think otherwise.

As to that meaning much for swtor who knows, ea have a licence and a reasonable revenue stream to pay for it but a cold analysis says the movies get nothing from this game and the game gets nothing form the movies. Disney will have already flagged that as a big missed opportunity

OddballEasyEight
03.14.2013 , 12:45 PM | #9
1313: On Hold

Any comment, CMs?

Correction: 1313 is currently On Hold but according to starwarsunderworld it may soon be canceled.

Disney wont cancel SW:TOR unless they have something else coming out that will compete with it. And that wont happen for several years.
And as others have pointed out, EA has bought a license to use star wars in this game. That license will require renewal some time, but until then Disney cant do jack about this game without getting a pretty huge lawsuit on their hands (and as interesting as it would be to watch EA's lawyers duke it out with Disneys, i dont think that will happen).

Clone Wars is cancelled because of an upcoming new series.
1313 was set for launch pretty soon, and i think the postponing of its release is more of an internal problem than anything else. Although its possible that disney doesnt want it released because it might conflict with something in the new films.
Detours is on hold for the same reason Clone Wars was cancelled.
First Assault i have no clue about... but its still early in development so there could be all kinds of reasons for putting it on hold.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

Blackavaar
03.14.2013 , 01:07 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohamsie View Post
What exactly does "on hold" even mean in these cases? Such a vague term.
According to the articles I read on starwarsunderworld.com On Hold apprently means they are reviewing those games for content to make sure they mesh with the Disney image and/or delaying to change the format of the release (moving away from 3D releases).

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]