Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Has the Empire lost the war? Totally?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Has the Empire lost the war? Totally?

yoomazir
03.18.2013 , 06:15 PM | #21
From my understanding :
- This current Empire vs Republic war will last like 1 thousand years.
- After than there will be another thousand years of "peace" (or nn Empire conflicts).
- And then you'll have the Darth Ruin sith era that will last something between 500-1k years.
- Finally, we'll have the 1 thousand years of "peace" and Darth Bane dinasty.

AlexDougherty
03.19.2013 , 06:45 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by yoomazir View Post
From my understanding :
- This current Empire vs Republic war will last like 1 thousand years.
- After than there will be another thousand years of "peace" (or nn Empire conflicts).
- And then you'll have the Darth Ruin sith era that will last something between 500-1k years.
- Finally, we'll have the 1 thousand years of "peace" and Darth Bane dinasty.
I'm sure I've read in a thread on one of these forums that the current war only lasts about 50-100 years, depending on which class your doing as they occur at different points in the tmeline.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Onyxus
03.19.2013 , 11:34 AM | #23
See I thought this too... But I'm starting to think "who's winning" is dependent on the class you play?

Or maybe the empire will make a comeback in the future?

I recorded the clip from the storyline from the point of view of my Sith Warrior when you complete the False Emperor Flashpoint for the first time. (I thought it was rather interesting)

These are the exact word of Grand Moff Regus when you go to turn in the False Emperor mission

Grand Moff Regus: "contrary to Maglus's claims the Empire is stronger than ever, meanwhile the traitors flock is abandoning the flaming ruins of his heretical revolution"

Then if you say option 3: How will the empire respond?

Grand Moff Regus: "We were in a grave place, intelligence disbanded, much of the dark council slain and the chosen of the emperor defeated, but a new age is upon us"

General Hesker: "Already our strength rallies after the fall of darth Malgus"

Grand Moff Regus: "The Empire's power is surging my lord, for the sith and all our citizens we will rule the galaxy once more"

jovianus
03.19.2013 , 12:15 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
I'm sure I've read in a thread on one of these forums that the current war only lasts about 50-100 years, depending on which class your doing as they occur at different points in the tmeline.
Huh, I was under the impression that all of the class stories occur along roughly the same timeline.

maxetius
03.19.2013 , 01:10 PM | #25
some spoilage
The Warrior is about saving the Empire. The Inquisitor is about changing it. Put those two together and you have an Empire which could one day be absorbed into the Republic.

This will likely happen as Emperor Vitiate's main goal is the extinction of all life in the galaxy, a revelation that could certainly shatter the Empire.

Quote:
Huh, I was under the impression that all of the class stories occur along roughly the same timeline.
You are correct, they are all roughly concurrent. The Warrior battles Baras while the Knight battles the Emperor. The Bounty Hunter and Agent get to Corellia and do their thing a little before everyone else.

ZayneDraay
03.19.2013 , 01:30 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by maxetius View Post
some spoilage
The Warrior is about saving the Empire. The Inquisitor is about changing it. Put those two together and you have an Empire which could one day be absorbed into the Republic.

This will likely happen as Emperor Vitiate's main goal is the extinction of all life in the galaxy, a revelation that could certainly shatter the Empire.

You are correct, they are all roughly concurrent. The Warrior battles Baras while the Knight battles the Emperor. The Bounty Hunter and Agent get to Corellia and do their thing a little before everyone else.
Lol, the idea that even a small number of loyal sith joining the republic is terrible. You really think that the devs would allow that kinda thing happen to us imperial players? "Oh, yeah, the imperial players are BEGGING to play with the republic guys!" More than likely there will be a future operation that will have the emperor has the final boss, then at the end the empire would just have a new emperor (not a player, of course). I think the goal is to keep both parties still functional and relevant in the story, so don't expect any side landing a real "killer blow".
"Those who know me by reputation say I am a creature of the cold darkness, a monster if you will. Now you too shall fear me." - Darth Crios, lord of icy wrath

KaleTogras
03.20.2013 , 03:04 AM | #27
After finishing the class storylines (all through Ilum) with the Agent, the Inq and the Warrior, I'm feeling a bit more hopeful for the Empire's prospects. Sure, they had their rear-ends solidly handed to them in Act 3, but the circumstances going forward are slightly rosier:

- The Dark Council has its first (potentially) alien member, the Wrath is (potentially) an alien as well, and if you click option 2 in the final dialogue, Darth Ravage says that the DC has 'taken note of some of the traitor's ideals'. If I was the DC, the steps I would take are: blame elements of the unproductive Dromund Kaas aristocracy for funding Darth Malgus, strip them of their life and fortune to replenish the Empire's coffers, 'arrange' for their alien slaves to do some of the overthrowing, laud them and all aliens wearing Imperial colors as heroes, and use that event to shake the Imperial citizenry out of complecency, get the cash flow going again, and surge the military's numbers with fresh alien recruits.
- Darth Jadus's and Baras's power plays were defeated. Darth Malgus's rebellion didn't last long enough to inflict any irreperable damage to the Empire, and it did have the effect of drawing the warring Sith elements closer together. The Dark Council should be more guarded against Sith ambitions from now on.
- While the Core is lost, the Empire's grip on the Outer Rim is stronger than ever, while the Mid-Rim is still up for grabs.
- In the Hutt Cartel trailer, the new Chancellor says that they can't allow the Cartel to expand into the Republic, implying that the Hutts are targeting Republic space. This would give the Empire a much needed reprieve, while also giving it an opportunity to play the two sides against each other.
- The Imperial military seems to be changing tactics from costly occupations to raids and mobile engagement. So while the Republic has to dig in, rebuild and secure worlds, all the Empire has to do is to inflict sufficient military damage to the Pubs, blast worlds that the Pubs need to spend good money for rebuilding, while taking only advanced staging areas for new assaults. Smart.
- The Black Codex. Blackmail everybody into doing your bidding. The end .

All in all, yes, I think that the Empire will emerge from these fiascos much stronger than it was, provided they take these steps .

LadyDrusilla
03.20.2013 , 03:11 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by jovianus View Post
There's about 3000 years between the TOR timeframe and the events of the movies. That's a lot of time for the war to seesaw back and forth between the Empire and the Republic before the Empire falls.
This. Just look how the momentum changes in the few years of the Clone Wars later on. Things are going against the Empire in general at present, but that doesn't mean it will continue to go against them indefinitely.
This blonde loves her Hutts, the bigger, the better.

Timarick
03.20.2013 , 03:55 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by KaleTogras View Post
After finishing the class storylines (all through Ilum) with the Agent, the Inq and the Warrior, I'm feeling a bit more hopeful for the Empire's prospects. Sure, they had their rear-ends solidly handed to them in Act 3, but the circumstances going forward are slightly rosier:

- The Dark Council has its first (potentially) alien member, the Wrath is (potentially) an alien as well, and if you click option 2 in the final dialogue, Darth Ravage says that the DC has 'taken note of some of the traitor's ideals'. If I was the DC, the steps I would take are: blame elements of the unproductive Dromund Kaas aristocracy for funding Darth Malgus, strip them of their life and fortune to replenish the Empire's coffers, 'arrange' for their alien slaves to do some of the overthrowing, laud them and all aliens wearing Imperial colors as heroes, and use that event to shake the Imperial citizenry out of complecency, get the cash flow going again, and surge the military's numbers with fresh alien recruits.
- Darth Jadus's and Baras's power plays were defeated. Darth Malgus's rebellion didn't last long enough to inflict any irreperable damage to the Empire, and it did have the effect of drawing the warring Sith elements closer together. The Dark Council should be more guarded against Sith ambitions from now on.
- While the Core is lost, the Empire's grip on the Outer Rim is stronger than ever, while the Mid-Rim is still up for grabs.
- In the Hutt Cartel trailer, the new Chancellor says that they can't allow the Cartel to expand into the Republic, implying that the Hutts are targeting Republic space. This would give the Empire a much needed reprieve, while also giving it an opportunity to play the two sides against each other.
- The Imperial military seems to be changing tactics from costly occupations to raids and mobile engagement. So while the Republic has to dig in, rebuild and secure worlds, all the Empire has to do is to inflict sufficient military damage to the Pubs, blast worlds that the Pubs need to spend good money for rebuilding, while taking only advanced staging areas for new assaults. Smart.
- The Black Codex. Blackmail everybody into doing your bidding. The end .

All in all, yes, I think that the Empire will emerge from these fiascos much stronger than it was, provided they take these steps .
Spoiler

But you're not wrong to say there will be a momentum shift thanks to the Hutts getting cute and trying to, you guessed it, take over the galaxy (OF COURSE!). So the Empire WILL Strike Back.

Timarick
03.20.2013 , 04:03 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Well Darth Bane's Rule of Two does not kick in until about 1000 years before the movies. So theoretically the Empire can and probably does come back in the intervening 2000 years.

Look at the Sith imperial ships and tech in this game along with the imperial emblem. Then look at the Republic ships and tech and emblem in the PT. Finally, look at the Imperial ships and tech and emblem in the OT. They are more than vaguely similar. In fact, the rebel alliance emblem from the movies more closely resembles the emblem of the Republic in SWTOR.

That being said, all those similarities are more probably the result of the PT set designers and the SWTOR game
designers looking to the OT movies for inspiration. The PT set designers wanted the Republic ships and tech to resemble the Imperial ships and tech of the OT so make the transition that much more plausible - why would the new Emperor (Palpatine) re-tool all the Old Republic shipyards? The SWTOR game designers wanted the game's Sith Empire ships and tech to resemble the OT Imperials in order to better associate their ships and tech with already known "bad guy" ships and tech.
Actually Palpatine implemeted those logos and ideals of an "Empire" after studying the various documents and texts he DID recover from the era (one of which was Vitiate's tome and Malgus' war journal) and continued the logo of the Sith by branding it as the symbol for the Republic, but modified just so slightly that the Jedi wouldn't go into the archives and go "wait just a minute here!" Plus it was also to distinguish this was HIS Empire and not a SITH Empire.