Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Blog: Cartel Reputation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Blog: Cartel Reputation
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Master-Nala
03.13.2013 , 04:38 PM | #81
I think the reputation system is a good idea in general, but I have three concerns with the implementation:

1) Cartel Market Certificates: These being random undercut much of the benefits of the reputation system. I do understand the desire to gate having everybody running around on a command throne. But having it be completely random is unfair and leads to the same kind of complaints about the randomness of the packs that we saw in shipment 1.

My suggestion: Give subscribers 1 Cartel Market certificate each month with their allotment and give 1 certificate with each ten packs bought, in addition to whatever drops.

2) New Rep grind with each Shipment: This just goes too far. I know the concept, create a fear that you may never reach Legend status so people will rush to buy up packs before they are gone. Look, I admire the ingenuity. I think your CM manager is evil and should promptly be given a raise! But at a certain point, it looks a little crass.

3) Reputation and CM certificates need to be tradeable: The absolute best thing about the Cartel Market is that nearly everything is tradeable for in-game resources. You will gain a lot of good will if you do this at least.
My 60s:Alana-Balance, Myschal-Ruffian, Vodoun-Vengeance, Alan-Medic, Ztephanie-Hatred, Curiosi-Marksman, Angiola-Concen., Chisami-Arsenal, Rickta-K. Combat, Mioni - Seer, Vesnas-Tactics, Psionicist-TK Sinbad-Sawbones, Arbaaz-Serenity, Nal'aa-Infil, Hard-top, Assault

manchusabre
03.13.2013 , 04:41 PM | #82
Totally not excited about this. Why does it seem like the new stuff is all about squeezing every single cent out of me or another monthly fee. The gree event and rep system seems like a gimmick to keep people subbed for another few weeks. This world event the tokens are BoP while all the previous events had tradeable tokens. This time you add another speeder to keep people doing the gree dailies cause most people have enough rep tokens saved for legend rep, the people with alts that is. Now there is a rep for buying stuff from the cartel market, ugh. Whether people are buying for themselves or to put on the gtn really doesn't matter. I am done spending real life money on cartel items after buying the first couple packs that came out. Seems like EA is all about creating a new impulse buy for people every month now and its disappointing. I am not liking the direction this game is going.

paowee
03.13.2013 , 04:46 PM | #83
Hmm this move doesn't strike me at all. For the people who love buying packs, this is a way for them to gain reputation and attain in-game items/vanity/titeles that only players who buy packs can get. On the other hand, people or subscribers like me, who never buys packs are unaffected at all. Unless these packs contain something that is absolutely necessary for me to continue playing raid content, like say for example, Nano-infused stims are only purchaseable through contraband packs, then that is something i would deem a low blow.

Just leave these packs be. It's just a way for those people who loves packs to get something that only they can have.

I think people are over reacting >_<
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

DAMossimo
03.13.2013 , 04:50 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by INDDCA View Post
All in all, I don't mind the reputation grind. I do think $200-250 for a reputation each time a new shipment happens Is excessive, but that's for each consumer to decide.

What I would like to see is the certificates be bound to legacy. The number of packs you need to open to get 10 of them fills up 3-4 cargo bays. I actually stopped buying the packs after two of the 24 pack bundles when i ran out of room on the toon I wanted the item on (and I can't mail the items to an alt for 1.5 days). Now I've lost the motivation to use this method and have enough rares to sell on the GTN to buy the piece I wanted. Lol, Bioware had the gambler in me going and would have made a killing off me if it weren't for those constraints.
Here's the thing.

This is a game. In a game one assumes there will be an even playing field in regards to reaping the rewards of playing. Once you can buy things that cannot be earned by grinding or otherwise, it ceases to be a game and becomes a country club.

If what you want is a few hundred (maybe a few thousand?) high-roller types to float the game, then this is the way to go. I am not saying this is a bad thing for those who run the game, but for me personally, I will go elsewhere when it becomes apparent that it is the direction the game is headed.

Anyakaschala
03.13.2013 , 04:51 PM | #85
Ths makes me NOT want to buy any packs at all. Seriously? Rep for packs for exclusive in-game items? Not only does this not make sense, but it's a slap in the face to those that actually subscribe.

This is a bad, bad, bad move.

paowee
03.13.2013 , 04:56 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Hmm this move doesn't strike me at all. For the people who love buying packs, this is a way for them to gain reputation and attain in-game items/vanity/titeles that only players who buy packs can get. On the other hand, people or subscribers like me, who never buys packs are unaffected at all. Unless these packs contain something that is absolutely necessary for me to continue playing raid content, like say for example, Nano-infused stims are only purchaseable through contraband packs, then that is something i would deem a low blow.

Just leave these packs be. It's just a way for those people who loves packs to get something that only they can have.

I think people are over reacting >_<
Ask yourself, what is your goal in this game? PVE? PVP? Play through the storylines of each class? Now.. does this move affect any of those at all? Will they make it so exotech stims or mods and enhancements drop off of packs? Will they make it so that packs drop a consumable +100 expertise for 4 hours? Will they lock certain storylines that can only be accessed via some random drop off of a contraband pack? I don't think these packs will negatively affect you at all. They are made i think, imo, for the people who LOVE buying packs. Now they can have a unique title or armor that tells the world, "im a Pack lover!"

No harm in that.

I have my Gree reputation, the space mission reputation, voss, and another one i do not even recall. I have not even reached legendary among the gree yet and have not started with the other reps. I will probably cry about this change when i've maxed all possible reputations in the game, and because i want to have 100% completion of the game, im "forced" to buy these packs just to get their rep. Or worse.. well reread the examples above.

Its fine.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

DarthZak
03.13.2013 , 05:09 PM | #87
Wow... I thought the initial move of CM based Rep was a blow to the face but now theyre putting different reputation on different packs? I subbed for 1 more month. That way if Makeb hits at the end of March I can play that and after that Im gone
The Peacecraft Legacy
Elycia , Mariemaia , Minagoroshi

chuixupu
03.13.2013 , 05:39 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Ask yourself, what is your goal in this game? PVE? PVP? Play through the storylines of each class? Now.. does this move affect any of those at all? Will they make it so exotech stims or mods and enhancements drop off of packs? Will they make it so that packs drop a consumable +100 expertise for 4 hours? Will they lock certain storylines that can only be accessed via some random drop off of a contraband pack? I don't think these packs will negatively affect you at all. They are made i think, imo, for the people who LOVE buying packs. Now they can have a unique title or armor that tells the world, "im a Pack lover!"

No harm in that.

I have my Gree reputation, the space mission reputation, voss, and another one i do not even recall. I have not even reached legendary among the gree yet and have not started with the other reps. I will probably cry about this change when i've maxed all possible reputations in the game, and because i want to have 100% completion of the game, im "forced" to buy these packs just to get their rep. Or worse.. well reread the examples above.

Its fine.
It's true that this doesn't "harm" anyone or give any players an advantage in the game. But the whole system feels....sketchy. Like a Hutt Cartel.

What it does kind of do, is make me feel a bit like a second class citizen in the game. I see some items that I would like to have (certain armor and companion customization), and I realize that the idea is that I would need to spend a lot of real money in order to get it (or work my butt off spending a lot of time farming more credits than I've ever earned before to give to someone who has the money to buy these packs just to sell them and make money off my time). On the other hand, I honestly don't really feel all that much love and thanks coming from Bioware for being a loyal subscriber since day 1.

I like this game. I have fun in it. But the more they go down this road, the less fun it feels and the less I look forward to updates.

OK, going to repost this thought again:.

Typically even in raiding, as content becomes outdated, they allow the players behind the curve to catch up and attain things that the more hardcore raiders can get. So what I'm proposing is that they can let the hard core pack buyers get their titles and gear quickly, but later on, when they bring back older packs (as they mentioned they would do), discount them, and allow the tokens to be tradeable. So those who are completionists and vanity gear collectors can at least have access to it without having to spend hundreds of dollars in a short period of time.

What do you think, does this seem like a fair idea?
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Linyivee
03.13.2013 , 05:40 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Malice View Post
Why did you implement a new reputation grind that can only be progressed through paying real money? Why are the rewards for achieving status levels items that already exist in the game in previous cartel packs instead of new items?
Your answer:
EA's Cliff Bleszinski Defends Microtransactions
Quote:
The video game industry is just that. An industry. Which means that it exists in a capitalistic world. You know, a free market. A place where you’re welcome to spend your money on whatever you please… or to refrain from spending that money.

I’ve seen a lot of comments online about microtransactions. They’re a dirty word lately, it seems. Gamers are upset that publishers/developers are “nickel and diming them.” They’re raging at “big and evil corporations who are clueless and trying to steal their money.”

I’m going to come right out and say it. I’m tired of EA being seen as “the bad guy.” I think it’s bull**** that EA has the “scumbag EA” memes on Reddit and that Good Guy Valve can Do No Wrong.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m a huge fan of Gabe and co most everything they do. (Remember, I bought that custom portal turret that took over the internet a while back and I have friends over there.) However, it blows my mind that somehow gamers don’t seem to get that Valve is a business, just like any other, and when Valve charges 100$ for an engagement ring in Team Fortress 2 it’s somehow “cool” yet when EA wants to sell something similar it’s seen as “evil.” Yes, guys, I hate to break it to you, as awesome as Valve is they’re also a company that seeks to make as much money as possible.

They’re just way better at their image control.
Get it now?

BioWare sold out to EA, and then EA sold out entirely.

Instead of standing up for consumers, EA/BioWare decided they were going to sell out to money. If Electronic Arts came out against micro-transactions, they would have won over a mess of loyal customers.

Electronic Arts/BioWare was our last hope, so it stung more when they stabbed everyone.

If Mr. Bleszinski went over to Cryptic's forums, he would have noticed that players are not just complaining about BioWare. Players are angry at the entire industry.

I love BioWare more than I love other companies, and that is why its transition to micro-transactions hurts the most.

DLC = Money reaping.

Micro-transactions = Money reaping.

DRM = Big Brother watching over you.

As a result of moving into this direction, the game industry 'will' cause the fall of PC gaming.

Single-Player Offline Games with expansion packs are superior to the garbage we have now.

We lost our privacy (DRM = lack of user freedom), freedom to own software (MMO = renting software), and consumer protections (horrible customer service & money reaping tactics). Its just a matter of time until people walk away.

No one wants to stand up for the consumer.

Link: EA Named ‘The Worst Company in America’
Quote:
Some companies just can’t seem to catch a break. With gamer rage growing by the week as publishers and development studios expand and streamline smaller companies, and struggle to build a sustainable business model for the coming digital age, this bit of news shouldn’t surprise anyone. After more than 250,000 votes have been tallied, publisher Electronic Arts has been named ‘The Worst Company in America.
I wonder why?

I love BioWare's products. I just wished it stood on the side of its consumers.

da_zone
03.13.2013 , 05:43 PM | #90
This should not be part of a game system in any way...it should have all been stuck in the Cartel market UI.

The fact that you have tried implementing this faction in the lore in order to justify,explain or make it connect to the game-world is just extremely disappointing and it feels like a slap to the face to me as a fan of Star Wars and your Old Republic era as a whole.

Its ironic how the greedy hutt cartel in game is looking less greedy than the company behind the people who designed this "faction"