Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Blog: Cartel Reputation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Blog: Cartel Reputation
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Cyjax
03.13.2013 , 01:57 PM | #21
All these skinners box rep grinds should be deemed illegal and those who implement them shunned forever from the gaming industry. What happened to the creative juice that fueled early MMO development?

chuixupu
03.13.2013 , 02:00 PM | #22
Dear Bioware,

I think you guys are going a little too far with these reputation grinds in cartel packs. I get that you want to put "less suck" and more tangible rewards into the cartel packs. They're popular items, and the people that are buying them are putting money back into this game's development.

I feel like it's just too much, though. The idea that one reputation system through real money purchases offer things I have limited access to was annoying enough, now I can look forward to a ton more of these things coming out constantly? I don't imagine a very large percentage of people have the funds to keep buying these packs. Therefore, this is catering to a very small elite of people who have a lot of extra income. Being able to buy these on the GTN isn't an ideal solution, either. amount of credits that one has to spend on multiple packs and multiple reputation is exhausting just to think about.

Please consider some other options. Maybe make the reputation items and certificates tradeable or find another way for people to earn them. I feel like this is clearly going against Damion Schuberts assertion that "the Cartel Market is not THE way to play the game" and that there is equal opportunity and effort to earn items in the game.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Tatile
03.13.2013 , 02:00 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Jamus_Divinus View Post
What is the Cartel Market Reputation System?

We’ve added the Cartel Market Reputation System as a way of rewarding players who purchase multiple packs within a Shipment. Each Shipment will have its own Reputation track.
So, wait, does this mean that all future reputation systems will only be via the Cartel Market?
Why will each shipment have its own reputation track? That doesn't make any sense, it's going to be hard enough to get the existing one to max (god help if you try, you'll be handing your house over), but then every single reputation track thereafter will require the purchase of Cartel Packs?

I'm disappointed enough that this one didn't have some attached quest content (I never expected it to be released in 1.7.2, more like 1.8 because it would have been a "big thing"), but this? Ugh.

Telanis
03.13.2013 , 02:02 PM | #24
This is the worst thing you have ever done. I am unspeakably disappointed. Unique items that can only be acquired if you (a) pay a ton of money to get rep to access the vendor and (b) pay a ton of money and hope that you RANDOMLY GET a bunch of certificates? And then you repeat this with EVERY PACK? It's worse than Zynga for crying out loud.

I have an idea for a minigame. Sell a golden cow suit in the Cartel Market and when wearing it, players who approach augment tables are suddenly restrained and have a milking apparatus attached. This fills up a tank labelled "EA" with dollar bills, and takes all the user's credits! Then a $200 charge appears on their account. Sounds fun right?

I will never buy Cartel Coins again.

Alduinsm
03.13.2013 , 02:03 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
dear bioware,

i think you guys are going a little too far with these reputation grinds in cartel packs. I get that you want to put "less suck" and more tangible rewards into the cartel packs. They're popular items, and the people that are buying them are putting money back into this game's development.

I feel like it's just too much, though. The idea that one reputation system through real money purchases offer things i have limited access to was annoying enough, now i can look forward to a ton more of these things coming out constantly? I don't imagine a very large percentage of people have the funds to keep buying these packs. Therefore, this is catering to a very small elite of people who have a lot of extra income. Being able to buy these on the gtn isn't an ideal solution, either. Amount of credits that one has to spend on multiple packs and multiple reputation is exhausting just to think about.

Please consider some other options. Maybe make the reputation items and certificates tradeable or find another way for people to earn them. I feel like this is clearly going against damion schuberts assertion that "the cartel market is not the way to play the game" and that there is equal opportunity and effort to earn items in the game.
+1 .
Shin

Eillack
03.13.2013 , 02:06 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by HanStyle View Post
I found it offensive against subscribers, and needs to be removed ASAP before it hurts us more
I don't think I've been as disgusted in a loooooooooooooong time with EAware.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

OrionSol
03.13.2013 , 02:10 PM | #27
I understand you all operate a business, and that is the entire, and only reason we have this awesome game to play.

You want and need to make a healthy profit, or games like this dont get made, or continue to exist.

But this? This is just frakin tacky.

I've been a subscriber on 2 accounts from day 1.

I have 2 collectors edition boxes.

What do I get ? Poodoo

You can take this reputation system and put it on the same shelf as SOE's NGE.

/signed

A ticked off customer.
Or-ion Sol
Founder of THE JEDl ORDER (Guild Website)
"As I was, I am, I will..."

discbox
03.13.2013 , 02:12 PM | #28
You are very good in making subscribers angry, BioWare. I think you have too many of them, and thats why you do things like that. You want to get rid of your subribers by anger them more and more every month. If so, you are on the right way - go on!

dsapp
03.13.2013 , 02:12 PM | #29
Since I've already done it before, I'm going to do it again. Goodbye SWTOR. I won't miss your money hungry, pay to win ways. Good to see you're really reading the feedback. You know, the massive amounts of feedback from people that absolutely hate this. So what's your idea? Let's add more. It's good to see that you've suckered so many whales into buying your garbage.

Who in the hell really thinks that the Cartel Market is content? Oh yeah, that's right, Bioware/EA does. Thanks and later.

Elear
03.13.2013 , 02:14 PM | #30
So let's see. F2P launched around half a year ago. Since then, we've got one full shipment. Let's assume that you will need only 300 packs(most likely more) to reach legend and get some certificates. This means 20 packs per month. Fact that no subscriber ever will be able to reach that without spending exta money is obvious. What is not obvious, is that anyone interested in that rep will have to shell out 300x320 CC, 96 000. Assuming best priced CC, this is over 17x5500. Almost 700$ on top of 80$ subscription each 6 months.

This is not reward for people purchasing packs from CM. This is reward for people purchasing TONS of packs from CM. Person that will invest 'only' 100$ to each shipment will hardly get any reward. If they're lucky, maybe enough rep to get to Friend. Another six months, another grind from scratch just to get nothing.

I won't get into discussion if whole rep idea is good or bad, but if you intend to 'reset' it (I know, it's not reset, but with new rep and removal of old packs, it's damn close to one) with each shipment, it fails to serve purpose of rewarding buyers. But I guess true purpose is just to make people pay tons of money for some crappy headgear, without paying for it directly.