Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's your opinion on mob-dodging in flash points?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
What's your opinion on mob-dodging in flash points?

space_mechanic
03.13.2013 , 02:27 PM | #21
The primary goal of any game is fun, not the grind. I always wanna do a full run, with most trash and bonuses. It's really ridiculous to see four 50s running away from every boss and CCing all that can be CCed (and skipped) in Battle of Ilum. Actually if it comes to fight, some of those guys will mess - cos they never did that particular boss! All they want is comms. No social stuff, no polishing their skills (yes, even fresh 50s are affected) - just comms. They say "hi" at start (most cool ones don't even bother with that) and together we achieve another Guinness record of time spent in FP.

A bit off topic to trash fight, still related to FPs are Spacebar Commandos. That type of guys who don't say hello to you, but they say "skip" or "space". "Skip faster!". "I have 20 min for this". Without "please".

Now I'm at that point when I do not need comms and do not need Columi/Tionese drops, but I DO need fun. Don't you even try to get it away from me!

abokado
03.13.2013 , 05:12 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by space_mechanic View Post
The primary goal of any game is fun, not the grind. I always wanna do a full run, with most trash and bonuses. It's really ridiculous to see four 50s running away from every boss and CCing all that can be CCed (and skipped) in Battle of Ilum. Actually if it comes to fight, some of those guys will mess - cos they never did that particular boss! All they want is comms. No social stuff, no polishing their skills (yes, even fresh 50s are affected) - just comms. They say "hi" at start (most cool ones don't even bother with that) and together we achieve another Guinness record of time spent in FP.
Lol yeah, I did the one bonus mini boss in the Foundry like a month ago the first time. The one where you jump down and ran past the jedis and there is the droid on the right side.
And one of the bosses in Ilum is actually pretty hard and and I wiped there with groups a few times, so I personally prefer to just run past that guy, really not worth the effort. No one needs the drops and no one wants to pay the rep.

I like to skip everything there is to skip. I have killed almost all of the mobs in the game over and over and over and over and over again and I'm pretty sick of it since it's absolutely boring. I don't need to kill that trash group we could easily avoid. I get nothing out of it. No exp, no loot, no nothing. It's just a waste of time. There is no challenge in trash. Previously I just logged on, listed myself in the GF, did some dailies, did the FP when a group popped, went to the terminal and was done. There really is no fun at all to run Black Talon the 1000th time. Really. It's just boring. I cope with it because I want(ed) the comms, that's it.
Well.. now I don't do hm fps anymore since I don't need the comms anymore and I am quite happy. I only do my raid and a few dailies for the repair cost. I love to raid and I have tons of fun and I am happy that I don't have to do the same fps over and over again to be prepared for raids. Though that's gonna change again with Makeb.

Oh and I was doing BT on an alt recently and out of habit I wanted to skip this and that and got confused because the others didn't follow when I remembered that I do get stuff I need from killing them. Though even while leveling I prefer to skip as many mobs as possible. I'd rather just do a few warzones instead of killing some mobs that I could have avoided, it would be much more fun, really.

Elear
03.13.2013 , 07:32 PM | #23
It's really surprising how many people complain about datacron jumping when they turn any flashpoint run into more platfomer than MMORPG. Even doing low level FP for exp is rare occurence, with people almost always skipping all they can. You changed your build at 60 and want to see how it handles real combat? Tough luck, 80% of your FP will consist of running away from mobs and carefully walking on edges to avoid aggroing one group of enemies. Yes, skipping group of mobs that is nowhere near path you're taking is fine. Yes, skipping 10th group of mobs doesn't hut anyone. But the hell, skipping 90% of flashpoint including all but one bosses is not fine. "Jump jump sneak sneak" is not name of this game, and it's not reason anyone does flashpoints. Too bad it's so rare to find group doing it for reason other that daily GF reward.

JouerTue
03.14.2013 , 02:28 AM | #24
i hate skipping boss

VorKoom
03.14.2013 , 04:57 AM | #25
A while back while leveling an alt, I was doing got Taral V (Story Mode) through the Group Finder. This was early morning so it took a bit of tme to pop even queued as Tank so I have no idea how long it took for the DPS to pop. Anyways as soon as we entered the two DPS who were in the same guild sped off around the skipping path for the first group of mobs, myself and the healer just stood there, I whispered the healer to ask if he wanted a 'speed run', He reliped that he like me was here for the exp and loot as I was. Two DPS then say 'Are you guys coming?' in group chat. I reply 'I'm not doing a speed run, I want to kill the mobs and the healer does too, It's Story Mode' DPS reply 'We only have 30mins before we have to go so we have to skip, you can just queue again' I replied 'What a great idea, Good luck finding a new Tank and Healer' With which both myself and the Healer left the group and requeued together, got another pop almost right afer our lockout timer and got a proper run. No clue if the two speedy DPS got it don or not and frankly I couldn't careless :P

JoseWan
03.14.2013 , 05:33 AM | #26
I rather clean than skip. Skipping sucks all the fun out of it for me, it converts the FP in a chore. I like to relax while playing and have fun killing everything in the way, it doesn't take that long (and you make more money). It takes longer if you have to make some trick jumps to skip a mob and someone falls, pulls the mob and dies because other the guys are too ahead, so people have to wait for him and he fails the jump again (ok, this is me sometimes), and people become impatient and angry. That's not fun.

slafko
03.14.2013 , 08:19 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by space_mechanic View Post
The primary goal of any game is fun, not the grind. I always wanna do a full run, with most trash and bonuses. It's really ridiculous to see four 50s running away from every boss and CCing all that can be CCed (and skipped) in Battle of Ilum.
There is nothing ridiculous about soft CC.
Good Shadows and Scoundrels shine in flashpoints making the run fast and smooth.

Quote: Originally Posted by VorKoom View Post
With which both myself and the Healer left the group and requeued together, got another pop almost right afer our lockout timer and got a proper run.
In situations like these one is better off asking for a vote kick or even vote kicking others. No lockout ftw.

TralyanSavo
03.14.2013 , 11:39 AM | #28
When you've done each of the flashpoints countless times while leveling and then again when you hit 50 to get your gear and BH comms, you'll understand why you skip mobs. There's absolutely nothing fun about clearing trash mobs at level 50 when they never drop anything you need and the credits they drop arent worth the time.

Secondly, if you're a tank or a healer, HM or SM FP pops are so frequent that it makes much more sense to get through a FP faster and finish it and then do another one than to frolic through pulling all the thrash, taking your sweet time to "enjoy the content." The only fun part about FPs are the bosses (even though they have gotten boringly easy).

Besides, when you're 50, you have dailies, operations, PvP, and world bosses to get to. Grinding out mobs that literally exist to make the FP last longer and for no other reason makes no sense. And considering how easy it is to skip mobs in this game, I think its intentional on the part of the devs.
Ryaffil (Shadow Tank, Main) - Ryaffia (Guardian) - Odinsun (Sentinel) - Mintass (Commando) - Ryaffam (Gunslinger)
Tralyan (Sorcerer) - Echeara (Juggernaut) - Cran (Mercenary) - Zobess (Operative)
Death Mark - The Shadowlands

Arandmoor
03.14.2013 , 12:26 PM | #29
So, lots of "I'm bored of killing [the same] mobs every run"/"I've done this a million times! Just give me the loot!".

Personally, I think there are definitely instance of flash points in TOR that have way too much trash in them (looking at you lost island). However, counter to that is "I've run this a bunch already and I want to do the absolute minimum necessary for my badges" that makes me run out of sympathy real fast (same with situations like the aforementioned "I don't have enough time to run this unless we skip everything" type players. Don't queue if you don't have time).

Nobody's been answering the second question I asked.

What would make you kill trash every time without fail?

Note: Looking at this...I think the term "trash" is a problem. It really, really paints the enemies in question as a chore, and that's absolutely what they should not be. Granted, I really, really hate the arbitrary nature of "pulls" anyway, and it astounds me that the design of arbitrary groups of opponents standing around, just waiting to be killed in a chain hasn't been iterated and/or innovated on in almost fifteen years of MMO gaming.

mikebevo
03.14.2013 , 12:48 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Arandmoor View Post
Nobody's been answering the second question I asked.

What would make you kill trash every time without fail?[
The majority of every group wanting to do it!

I have no sympathy for either side of this argument. Personally I want to skip; one of my healers is now full 63 and the other is full bh/campaign, so I donít even need the comms on her. Only reason I enter group finder now is to pay back the community that helped me gear up. When I enter group finder I am making a promise to the group to do everything possible to make it a smooth and successful run. If someone ask, speed or full run, I never vote until 2 other group members agree, then I vote with the majority. I never enter group finder unless I have enough time to do a full run. However, I would much rather do a speed run, but what I want means nothing if that is not what the majority of the group wants.

So that is my answer, if the majority of the every group wants to do all the trash, then I would happily do it without fail.

If bioware just made trash where you could not just skip, then I would just quit doing FPs except for guild runs with new 50ís.