Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

CM items vs actually playing the game.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
CM items vs actually playing the game.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Philastra
03.12.2013 , 11:04 AM | #1
So its increasingly apparent with all the CM updates that you, BW is strying further from your gameplay and moving torward this...

"Hey you want that cool item, Legacy crystal, Gear or w/e you like, all you have to do now is open your wallet and pay for them, no longer do you actually have to play the game and do boring quests that we spent millions on creating."

So as a subbed player what are you guys putting in for us. I know its probably a lot less resource intensive to just make new CM items and the game needed some more cash flow but what as a subbed player to the game do I/we get for our sub. Sure you can say unlimited FP's/WZ's/experience gains ect. but these are basic game functions. Do you have any intent on expanding items for crafters, or quest rewards(I saw in the patch note some old quests are now giving some new rewards).

From looking through the forums there is a quite large number of subbed players wanting more in game content and items that can be earned through gameplay not paying more on top of our sub. I heard in an interview one of you called the new CM items "content" I fully disagree that this is content. Its not in any way shape or form. Content is somthing you do in game to earn a reward and have fun doing it. Content is NOT opening your wallet for that crystal, mask, or speeder. Content is somthing you spend time doing in game, not hitting the CM icon and clicking purchase.

In that same interveiw a player of the game commented that he payed through the nose to get his Revan mask, Jeff Hickman thought that was really funny, why was that so funny? You guys really need to give subbed players a way to earn desirable items such as that through gameplay that is called content.

I'm not against selling those for RL money through micro-transactions and i'm glad you guys are making more income by doing that. However at least you should balance between the CM and in game play and maybe you will start doing that but the actions of BW certianly is saying somthing different.

As a sub I would love to see some of those new items obtainable through gameplay, as of now you dont even have have to do quests to gain REP with different factions, you just completly monatized that whole system, why? As a sub whats the reason to spend questing gaining this when wallet warriors can just buy thier way to the top.You, BW, is heading in a direction that is basically punishing the subbed player who likes to spend time "grinding" these type of thing in game to say hey look I spent the time to do this and look what I got as a reward.

So as a subbed player, beyond basic gameplay functions, and 500-700 CM coins a month whats is there? Whats the point of exploring the game doing quests when you you are seemingly neglecting your game and the subbed player.
It only takes one candle to scare away the dark, or just hire a Bounty Hunter....

Philastra
03.12.2013 , 11:08 AM | #2
To those who think the game is fine and I like opening my wallet for items because its easy and I dont have to do quests those are your opinions and thats the way you wanna play. For others paying a sub and getting or earning things in game through quests or other gameplay is enjoyable and is why we play games.
It only takes one candle to scare away the dark, or just hire a Bounty Hunter....

WillHolmes
03.12.2013 , 11:11 AM | #3
Until now i had middle ground in this arguement didnt complain either way as the other cartel packs were crap and made fast as hell.

This new one AMAZING, stuff in it AMAZGING, time spend TONS and now i find myself spending 70$ on 24, hows about a 12 pack that would be nice.

Buy yea /signed OP
Shadowlands - Chandrian

Toasterman - Heal MercHanjabba - Madness Sin
10/10 DF/DP NIM

Philastra
03.12.2013 , 11:27 AM | #4
It's amazing that so many other subbed have posted about the same subject, glad i'm not the only one.

oldirtbeard
03.12.2013 , 11:28 AM | #5
Hell I'm still waiting for an actual cool set of armor to buy, after seeing the really cool armor in the trailers for the game for the sith and seeing what's available in the CM I'm kind of disappointed.

Philastra
03.12.2013 , 11:38 AM | #6
So Eric I saw your post in another thread, and because ppl can sell the items on the GTN which just inflates the economy more buy allowing the CM items bought with RL cash to be sold this is content? Explain to me how this is content I really want to know.

uziforyou
03.12.2013 , 11:44 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Philastra View Post
To those who think the game is fine and I like opening my wallet for items because its easy and I dont have to do quests those are your opinions and thats the way you wanna play. For others paying a sub and getting or earning things in game through quests or other gameplay is enjoyable and is why we play games.
So? I'm a subscriber, I don't buy many things on the cartel market (exception: rocket boots). But I don't get all this angst about the cartel market. It's the path EA/Bioware chose to take THEIR game. All any of us can do is enjoy the game in it's current iteration or find something else to do (i.e., quit).

I personally am still enjoying the game with it's focus on the cash shop. The day that changes I'll give it up. We all have those same choices. Posting rants about how the game is no longer satisfactory for you is pointless. If the game no longer meets your expectations, vote with your wallet and don't give them your money anymore. All the posts like this in world aren't going to change the direction SWTOR is and has been going.
"When you're bleeding out in a ditch on some muckball planet it's not headquarters that comes to save you, it's the guy next to you."

Philastra
03.12.2013 , 11:52 AM | #8
Uzi I respect your thoughts and you are mostly right and if this continues I will leave as its looking many others will. however I voice my opinions because its whats forums are and my post is not really a rant. I and many others want more content not CM items that they dub as content. Some are happy with it some not. The forums is teh place to voice that.

BW you have an amazing game, remember your roots, BTW where did Minsc hide that gerbil/hamster (Boo) anyway? This was the game that got me wanting to play MMO's in the first place. I thought man how cool would it be to play somthing like this with others and to my surprise that type of game existed already and became an MMO player ever since.

Paltan
03.12.2013 , 11:54 AM | #9
Guilty of charge! I did spend some money on CM, I bought mainly complete armor set because I wanted a certain look for my toons, and for my assassin I combined CM item and ingame content to get an original look, using unify color, I did received pretty good comments on the look too!

I do agree as well all the way with you and what you are talking about is totally true! For me I do every quest I can and keep the adaptative armor pieces in bank and that is why I was able to create my original look on my assassin! I tried to buy some of those pieces int the Galactic market but the one I wanted were just like way out of my rich right in game, you know people asking over a million credits per pieces so forget it! out of reach ingame but not out of reach from my pockets! I mean the choice was not too hard for me to do!

Anyway I still think that you are right and I agree with you!
Imagination is limitless! Death smiles at everyone, Sith smile back!
If you see my Inquisitor and you just want to punch him in the face for his arrogance, good, I feel the same way!

Sith Marauder 50, Sith Assassin 55

JimG
03.12.2013 , 12:30 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Philastra View Post
In that same interveiw a player of the game commented that he payed through the nose to get his Revan mask, Jeff Hickman thought that was really funny, why was that so funny? You guys really need to give subbed players a way to earn desirable items such as that through gameplay that is called content.

I'm not against selling those for RL money through micro-transactions and i'm glad you guys are making more income by doing that. However at least you should balance between the CM and in game play and maybe you will start doing that but the actions of BW certianly is saying somthing different.
You need to watch that part of the interview again. The person with the question was talking about them using the GTN to determine the popularity of Cartel Market items for developing future items and he commented about paying through the nose on the GTN for Revan's Mask....not paying real-life money. So, he did earn it through gameplay by saving up credits.

Without people spending money on the Cartel Market and subsidizing the game, then there is no game. People need to realize that and quit trying to discourage people from spending money on Cartel Coins.