Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Luke (post-GrandMaster) vs Revan (post-KotOR)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Luke (post-GrandMaster) vs Revan (post-KotOR)

Wolfninjajedi
03.13.2013 , 01:30 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
Let's come back to this debate after Episode VII has come out, hopefully erasing all the disgusting drivel of the early EU that elevated Luke and Palpatine to the status of demi-gods. It's outrageous and even Lucas hates it. Once the likes of Dark Empire have been overwritten, some reason will be restored to that era.

I've never cottoned on to the absurdities of Palpatine's cloning and invincible levels of power. He was not introduced this way, and a great deal of the post-RotJ EU is laughably written.
Where has Lucas said he hates it? All I recall him saying, is that he doesn't keep up with it. Though I don't see, why you think its so ridiculous for Force Users to have such degrees of power...even when its only 2, and even its stated that The Force is pretty much all powerful by the 1st movie shown.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Beniboybling
03.13.2013 , 02:38 PM | #12
Let's come back to this debate after Episode VII has come out, hopefully erasing all the disgusting drivel of the early EU that elevated Luke and Palpatine to the status of demi-gods. It's outrageous and even Lucas hates it. Once the likes of Dark Empire have been overwritten, some reason will be restored to that era.

I've never cottoned on to the absurdities of Palpatine's cloning and invincible levels of power. He was not introduced this way, and a great deal of the post-RotJ EU is laughably written.
Well regardless Palpatine will remain the most powerful Sith Lord who ever lived, if he can wield force storms or not.

But I agree with you, reading the abilities that some people have posted her just makes me cringe. Wielding 20 lightsabers at a time? Turning into an invisble demi-god? Batting down AT-ATs? Yeah the Force is powerful, but making characters overpowered makes them boring and frankly, a joke.

But yeah, Revan would have his butt handed to him by Luke. As would anyone going against the post-ROTJ juggernauts /sigh

Wolfninjajedi
03.13.2013 , 02:50 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Well regardless Palpatine will remain the most powerful Sith Lord who ever lived, if he can wield force storms or not.

But I agree with you, reading the abilities that some people have posted her just makes me cringe. Wielding 20 lightsabers at a time? Turning into an invisble demi-god? Batting down AT-ATs? Yeah the Force is powerful, but making characters overpowered makes them boring and frankly, a joke.

But yeah, Revan would have his butt handed to him by Luke. As would anyone going against the post-ROTJ juggernauts /sigh
Note: Appearing to wield 10 to 20 sabers, not actually wielding that many. :P Think of afterimages....I still don't see what is the problem though, it is only 2 characters out of all the others that can do this sort of stuff. It isn't like everyone post-ROTJ could.

Kilikaa
03.13.2013 , 03:00 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Darth Sidious is, and always will be, the most powerful Sith Lord to ever exist.

Not really. He's up there in that time period, but other Force users during that time period (Great Sith War-post KOTOR) are superior.

Incorrect.
As one of the Ewoks said in RotJ, when C-3PO spoke...This guy's wise. Yub yub.

Ventessel
03.13.2013 , 03:03 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Note: Appearing to wield 10 to 20 sabers, not actually wielding that many. :P Think of afterimages....I still don't see what is the problem though, it is only 2 characters out of all the others that can do this sort of stuff, using something that was described as more powerful then destroying a planet in the 1st movie(as in ANH).
The whole "appearing to wield 20 sabers" bit is just from the perspective of another character. This would be true in any fast-faced, Force-fueled duel.

My point is that in the earlier days of the EU the authors went overboard and it just became patently ridiculous. And George is on record as saying that he feels that Palpatine was never cloned, Luke never married, etc. So it's reasonable to expect a serious reworking of this era of the EU in Episode VII, bringing things back into perspective with the rest of the Star Wars universe.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Wolfninjajedi
03.13.2013 , 03:07 PM | #16
The whole "appearing to wield 20 sabers" bit is just from the perspective of another character. This would be true in any fast-faced, Force-fueled duel.

My point is that in the earlier days of the EU the authors went overboard and it just became patently ridiculous. And George is on record as saying that he feels that Palpatine was never cloned, Luke never married, etc. So it's reasonable to expect a serious reworking of this era of the EU in Episode VII, bringing things back into perspective with the rest of the Star Wars universe.
While right to him it ended with ROTJ, everything post is just in a separate universe however still is tied with the movies in some form or another. It just isn't seen by George as G-canon, so hence we have C, T, S and so on so forth canon...at least it isn't like Star Trek where everything was all over the place(unless that has changed.)

Beniboybling
03.13.2013 , 03:07 PM | #17
Note: Appearing to wield 10 to 20 sabers, not actually wielding that many. :P Think of afterimages....I still don't see what is the problem though, it is only 2 characters out of all the others that can do this sort of stuff. It isn't like everyone post-ROTJ could.
Does it matter, the fact is, IMO, overpowering characters ruins those characters. So if you take 2 of the most important characters in Star Wars and overpower them, then suckiness ensues. Especially if half the post-ROTJ revolves around a conflict between these two. E.g. Luke is flying about, minding his own business and them BAM! Sidious teleports him by summoning a massive Force storm of darkside energy ripping a hyperspace wormhole in space, because that's how Star Wars works these days...

Beniboybling
03.13.2013 , 03:08 PM | #18
While right to him it ended with ROTJ, everything post is just in a separate universe however still is tied with the movies in some form or another. It just isn't seen by George as G-canon, so hence we have C, T, S and so on so forth canon...at least it isn't like Star Trek where everything was all over the place(unless that has changed.)
Sure its not all over the place, but its completely out of touch with Star Wars in too many ways to count. And I don't think Lucas will have any qualms over changing it. And I won't shed a tear if he does.

Wolfninjajedi
03.13.2013 , 03:10 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Does it matter, the fact is, IMO, overpowering characters ruins those characters. So if you take 2 of the most important characters in Star Wars and overpower them, then suckiness ensues. Especially if half the post-ROTJ revolves around a conflict between these two. E.g. Luke is flying about, minding his own business and them BAM! Sidious teleports him by summoning a massive Force storm of darkside energy ripping a hyperspace wormhole in space, because that's how Star Wars works these days...
I'm still just not seeing it....I guess other comic characters have shown far bigger stuff, to the point comparing these two just makes it seem ok. There would be a point, if at some point The Force was shown a limit somewhere...but there has been no limit shown with what one could do using The Force.

Kilikaa
03.13.2013 , 03:11 PM | #20

Don't expect Disney to reowrk the EU. If any of it is retconned/erased, those decisions will be made by the people at Lucas Arts. Some things do need to be erased. The cloned Emperor I won't miss. Luke will remain married to Mara Jade, however. George may not have liked it, but he did allow it. We will see some continuity clean up and some changes. Most of the EU will remain intact, though. I personally hope Death Troopers and the Crystal Star novels are wiped out. Both stories sucked big time.