Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which Nvidia drivers work best with SWTOR? What 3D program settings do people use?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Which Nvidia drivers work best with SWTOR? What 3D program settings do people use?

laz_AU
03.10.2013 , 11:43 PM | #1
Hi guys,

First of all, though i'm looking for opinions from all Nvidia GPU users, I personally have an Alienware m14x R2 with a 650M GT and am currently running the 307.17 driver recommended by Dell. I am also running windows 8.

Just wondering what people have found are the best Nvidia drivers for SWTOR to-date. From my googling it seems different versions work differently for different games. 314.14 beta, 314.07, 313.96 beta, 310.90, 307.17 have all been proclaimed as being superior but just wondering what people have found for SWTOR specifically.

I'm also interested in what Nvidia 3D profile settings people are using for SWTOR. My settings for both the "launch.exe" file (which appears as WoW?) and "swtor.exe" are in the spoiler tags with my SWTOR graphic settings:

Spoiler

I use vertical sync (fps locked to max 60) because otherwise the game looks a bit choppy even at much higher fps. After a while (an hour) of playing my GPU throttles and my fps drops which has been annoying me a lot lately. Wondering if changing my driver or any of these settings might help relieve the strain on my GPU... Let me know what you think!

Thanks!
Leader of Nocturnal | Impaled on The Harbinger (Ex-APAC)

The Custos Legacy
Riku - Sage Healer
Excubitor - Focus Sentinel
Equiti - Vanguard Tank/DPS

Toweleeeie
03.11.2013 , 12:07 AM | #2
304.79 Beta is what I have been using for a while. I try every release and I still use them. In section x it completely removes stutter and ups frame rate by 10 FPS.

Windows 7
EVGA GTX 580 3G edition

I have everything maxed in game settings. I force 8x AA with the GPU. Vsync off. also have AO enabled.

i get 30+ in 16man Ops. 100 on none daily planets, 50+ while doing dailies
Combine Force Melt and Cauterize. Combine Defencive Forums and Defencive Roll. Call it a day.

Onallion
03.11.2013 , 12:13 AM | #3
296.10 are the absolute best for this game. But by now they are quite old, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're playing any new games.

laz_AU
03.11.2013 , 12:41 AM | #4
Problem is i dont think windows 8 plays nicely with pre-307 drivers... Going to give the 310 ones a go...

The Custos Legacy
Riku - Sage Healer

spectreclees
03.11.2013 , 01:06 AM | #5
I'm using the 314.14 beta drivers right now. It hiccups quite a bit on the fleet but that's more CPU. Overall FPS when doing nothing is about 70-90. In combat goes down to about 40. Highly populated I go to about 30. Warzones can be a tad annoying with it hiccuping to 20. But it's mostly the engine I believe.

I'm on a GeForce GTX 660.

As for settings, I have everything off in the panel.

Max Rendered Frames= 1
Single Display
Prefer Max Performance
Texture Filtering at Performance
LOD Bias Allow
Trillinear and Threaded Optimization On

laz_AU
03.11.2013 , 05:49 PM | #6
Anyone else got any opinions?

The Custos Legacy
Riku - Sage Healer

DarthVitrial
03.11.2013 , 05:53 PM | #7
I use 314.14 beta drivers and the settings from this topic: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=591313 .
I'm averaging 40-50 FPS on a LAPTOP with these settings. (I did 2x SGSSAA instead of 4x, but other than that I used the settings from the topic)

laz_AU
03.12.2013 , 07:00 PM | #8
Yeah i sort of care more about fps than graphics to a certain extent... i try aim for stable 60fps with bloom and terrain on but everything else on low/off... which is almost achievable for my machine but it gets too hot after 30 mins or so and throttles

I think with the right driver this would be achievable

The Custos Legacy
Riku - Sage Healer

DarthVitrial
03.13.2013 , 03:29 PM | #9
As a note...before I used the tips (link in my prior post), I was getting 20 fps. Now I have 30-50 and better graphics too. Just my personal experience, of course.

freedomofnow
03.19.2013 , 06:33 AM | #10
Oohh, I love this thread! I'm definitely going to check out the tips and se if I can improve my fps! I use a laptop aswell and I've been tinkering a bit because I want all the eyecandy I can get but still manage playable (40-50+) fps. Also I realize I can't live without bloom. It's just so beautiful, I have to find a way to get it in there without sacrificing anything else.

I'm on an ASUS N76VZ laptop. 2.3ghz quadcore, 8gb ram, geforce gt 650m. Currently I'm using the 310.90 drivers because the newest one is a total and complete lagfest. I had an fps drop of 15-20 fps on a constant basis with the 314 one. I will check out the earlier drivers and see how my computer fares with them though.

My settings:
Resolution: 1600x900
Bloom: On
Anti-aliasing is off because I use nvidias fxaa to boost performance.
Shadows: Off
Rest set on high, except visible character limit which is medium. Going from high to medium there was a huge fps boost for me.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated! Off to tinker with the tips!

I have a question for you though DarthVitrial, what laptop do you use? And did you follow all the settings in the link you posted?

Edit: I tested the pre-310 graphics drivers mentioned in this thread and it doesn't support my hardware. Perhaps that is because it's the beta version, I'm not sure. Giving the newest beta drivers released a go.