Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

paowee
05.24.2013 , 03:03 PM | #151
Quote: Originally Posted by namesaretough View Post
. I think once we see this fight on nightmare and people are really taking it seriously, as long as there aren't big mechanics changes I expect to see 6k+ eng parses.
And after spending a lot of time practicing W + JUMP + ROLL. Good for you if you can but i've given up on it. I'll say it's pushing the boundaries of the word "gimmick" to its limits

Pre-requisite:
1. good latency
2. good fps
3. hours of practicing W+JUMP+ROLL
4. ???
5. profit.

You can now run Engineering on all bosses and bypass covered escape's mechanic

Spoiler
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

ontee
05.25.2013 , 02:46 AM | #152
What are bis relics for this spec? power proc is obviously bis but what is second? and are there big difference between dmg proc, EW or BA?

And i dont count 2 pvp relics anymore.

namesaretough
05.25.2013 , 08:51 AM | #153
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Added

Analyzing Engineering Parses

Points to look out for. At 312 seconds you need to have:
~220 Electrified Railgun hits
~100 Scatter Bomb hits
~100 SoS hits or 25 uses
~145 Plasma probe hits
~110 Interrogation Probe hits
~80 Corrosive dart hits
~11 Explosive Probe hits
~20 Orbital if you use 2pc pvp bonus. 15 if you use pve bonus.
~Snipe, (Ambush) will vary depending on your energy management and implementation of your priority list
These numbers are actually impossible to attain, not just nearly impossible. You can't maintain 100% dot uptime while immediately using roll/orbital every cooldown. You either let the dots fall off to use orbital (and the roll, after it de-synchs from plasma probe), or you delay the roll and orbital to keep the dots up.

I didn't spend a ton of time on this, but here is a parse without ambush to compare. I tried to prioritize rolls a bit more, but I still got delayed (my missing roll hit 5sec after the 312 sec window i cropped this to).
Smugglin

DoctorDragon
05.25.2013 , 10:54 AM | #154
Quote: Originally Posted by ontee View Post
What are bis relics for this spec? power proc is obviously bis but what is second? and are there big difference between dmg proc, EW or BA?

I would say underworld boundless ages and the arkanian elemental tech proc.
Power procs in all their glory, but they are not suited for lethality/hybrid/engi because of the random procs. We want controlled burst. For example, it would be a incredible waste to proc your relic while casting like.. corrosive dart followed by shatter shot and a snipe. Or for a hybrid while putting the dots up.

paowee
05.25.2013 , 12:42 PM | #155
Quote: Originally Posted by namesaretough View Post
These numbers are actually impossible to attain, not just nearly impossible. You can't maintain 100% dot uptime while immediately using roll/orbital every cooldown. You either let the dots fall off to use orbital (and the roll, after it de-synchs from plasma probe), or you delay the roll and orbital to keep the dots up.

I didn't spend a ton of time on this, but here is a parse without ambush to compare. I tried to prioritize rolls a bit more, but I still got delayed (my missing roll hit 5sec after the 312 sec window i cropped this to).
They are impossible. That's why it's
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Added Engineering's Kobayashi Maru

http://www.torparse.com/a/248183/tim...807/0/Overview
Evryday - Ability - Board
1 - Blaster Whip - 0
2 - Aimed Shot - 1
6 - Flourish Shot - 7
8 - Quick Shot - 0
30 - Flurry of Bolts - 36
40 - Contingency Charges - 43
10 - Sabotage Charge (Tech) - 11
76 - Bleeding (Tech) - 68
213 - Burning (Physical) - 212
20 - XS Freighter Flyby - 20
106 - Shock Charge (Tech) - 88
29 - Charged Burst - 36
141 - Incendiary Grenade - 135
24 - Speed Shot - 25.25
92 - Scatter Bombs - 97

paowee
05.25.2013 , 12:51 PM | #156
Quote: Originally Posted by ontee View Post

I will want an UW BA + UW SA. I still do not have the UW SA. I also want to do UW BA + Ark SA but do not have enough comms.

Right now I am stuck with UW BA + Ark Internal dmg relic once the double PVP relics get nerfed

Slouchggold
05.28.2013 , 03:24 PM | #157
Quote: Originally Posted by DoctorDragon View Post
I would say underworld boundless ages and the arkanian elemental tech proc.
Power procs in all their glory, but they are not suited for lethality/hybrid/engi because of the random procs. We want controlled burst. For example, it would be a incredible waste to proc your relic while casting like.. corrosive dart followed by shatter shot and a snipe. Or for a hybrid while putting the dots up.
I think that if any spec would want the power proc it would be a DOT spec. This is due to the fact that, assuming dot's are always rolling, the proc should always be on cd. While I agree it may seem like a waste to have the relic proc on a CD, or CG (for a pure leth build that is), I find that the power proc is activated more in a 2min span than I can have the BA relic up. Thus giving an overall higher power rating for that time period.
But I do agree that for fights the require burst phases (Kephess the undying after the pillar drop) the BA would probably come out ahead, assuming its up every time you need it.
Catalyst @ Prophecy of the Five
Calsnipes-MM PvE/ Leth PvP sniper
Calheals-Bodyguard Mercenary
Caldoom-Deception Assassin

fire-breath
06.01.2013 , 04:05 AM | #158
Got a few idea's for some bossfights that I use myself

Titan:
In every single place where the boss is you can roll against a stone (the ones you need to hide behind later on). This will make sure that all bombs are dropped in 1 place. No need to roll around as a crazy person. Only place where you cant do this is in the middle of the area (the last place where you need to kill Titan or it'll enrage).

Writhing Horror:
When she's in certain places you can roll against a wall (at least the 3rd burrow point in SM/HM works for that). Not sure if the starting position works and/or 2nd/4th place works too tbh.

The Terror:
- In 1st phase I tend to use my flyby on both tentacles. I know that this is unbalancing the dps on my side. Had not to much issues with it tbh. We never take voiddisturbance, so we could even it out if nessesary.

- When tauntrum phase kicks in I'm positioned close to a tank (1 gate away). I'm not sure if its working and/or worth the loss of dps, but I place my dome of love on the tank for the extra mitigation. Of course I only go in when he isnt the one having aggro. I know this isnt technicly a 2.0 thing.

A question I have:
- Is it worthwhile to get the Conq SA +UW SA relic? Or won't they stack properly?
EDIT: nv, i see that all SA effects are unstackable

Slouchggold
06.01.2013 , 10:04 AM | #159
Quote: Originally Posted by fire-breath View Post
my dome of love
That is an awesome name, you sir, have my appreciation
Catalyst @ Prophecy of the Five
Calsnipes-MM PvE/ Leth PvP sniper
Calheals-Bodyguard Mercenary
Caldoom-Deception Assassin

Vaidinah
06.02.2013 , 09:02 PM | #160
Hello Paowee, I wanted to thank you for your guide on Engineering. I never thought I'd end up playing a mostly range DPS class at all (I love tanking and melee DPS), but your guide on the PTS inspired me to get a Gunslinger up to 55 right before 2.0 hit. After playing as a Saboteur for a while, I've found I don't focus as much as you do on keeping up Electrified stacks on the target and instead, worry about keeping my Rolls, Freighter/Orbital, other DoTs, and Speed Shot/Series of Shots on cooldown. I've come up with a set of 3 roughly 20 second rotations I use.

For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to use the term -> Filler -> to denote a choice of abilities to use. Filler consists of your basic auto-attack (Flurry of Bolts/Rifle Shot), Quick/Overload Shot, Flourish/Shatter Shot, or extra Charged Bursts/Snipe (for burn phases). If your team has no one else to apply the 20% armor debuff, use Flourish/Shatter Shot every 2nd rotation. The set of 3 rotations is as follows:

1) Freighter Flyby --> Incendiary Grenade --> Shock Charge --> Vital Shot --> Speed Shot --> Aimed Shot --> Charged Burst --> Filler --> Sabotage Charge --> Speed Shot

2) Incendiary Grenade --> Shock Charge --> Vital Shot --> Filler --> Filler --> Speed Shot --> Aimed Shot --> Charged Burst --> Filler --> Filler --> Speed Shot

3) Incendiary Grenade --> Shock Charge --> Vital Shot --> Filler --> Sabotage Charge --> Speed Shot --> Aimed Shot --> Charged Burst --> Freighter Flyby.

When it comes to Rolling, I simply use it as soon as possible over any other skill listed if I can maximize the damage on it and hopefully not get myself killed.

One other point I'd like to mention that people may not be aware of is that the skill Hot/Calculated Pursuit that gives us 6 seconds of free Quick/Overload Shot is immediately triggered and then removed by Rolling. I'm fairly sure this is a bug, but until it gets fixed, it's something we have to take into account.
The Harbinger
Intrepid

Guardian/Juggernaut Tank Guide: From Beginner to Master